Unfinished grad program -- addendum? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bedefan

Bronze

Unfinished grad program -- addendum?

Post by bedefan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Hey all,

5 years ago I dropped out after a semester + five weeks of a master's program in the humanities. It was an academic program (prep for a PhD --> academic career), and I just realized I didn't want to be an academic.

I've since completed a different master's (in a different humanities field, did it just because I was interested and wouldn't have to go into debt due to a huge scholly), this past spring, and will be teaching part-time this year as I complete my law school application thang.

Question: do I need an addendum for a grad program I dropped out of, even if it was 5 years ago, even when I've finished a different grad program since? I did fine in the one semester I was in -- all A's.

(Possibly relevant note is that I think I'm going to come across on the whole as unfocused. My UGPA is solid at 3.79 but with pass/fail classes scattered throughout (and one nonpunitive drop); I worked at nonprofits after college but then suddenly decided to do an unrelated master's two years ago which I've now finished; and now am telling the adcomms that I want to go back into the public interest.)

Thanks.

Marionberry

Silver

Re: Unfinished grad program -- addendum?

Post by Marionberry » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:45 pm

A brief, concise addendum on why you chose not to continue that grad program wouldn't hurt, I don't think. I don't know that it's a necessity, but a paragraph explaining it should be fine. Sounds like everything else in your profile indicates that you are a pretty solid student.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”