Disciplinary Probation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
granger

Disciplinary Probation

Postby granger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Well, I was put on disciplinary probation twice my first two years of school.

1. my school has a program called alcohol.edu that all freshmen must complete. I never completed the video segment, because I always just put it off and never thought it had ramifications. Well, eventually my school served me with a judicial hearing where I was given six months of probation. Completed without incident.

2. this one is worse. My cousin visited at the end of first semester sophomore year. My gf, her friend, my cousin and I got back one night and decided to go to my school's late night food service. I guess bc the semester was ending, the place was closed. My cousin had the bright idea to hop the fence that blocked off the stairs and grab food. There were a bunch of people in the building and we all stood like assholes and laughed. The cops were alerted and he got arrested. I was given a year of probation, again completed without incident.

I dunno, I just feel like a complete fucking moron. Two at-best irresponsible things (the second one was such a shitty, scummy thing to do), I deserved the probation and now they're a red flag on my application. I think both were expunged, but obviously I have to report them. Can anyone with knowledge or experience fill me in on just how much this will hinder my application?

granger

Re: Disciplinary Probation

Postby granger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:38 pm

Just bumping it back on the first page.

alive

Postby alive » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:31 pm

If it was only disciplinary probation from your university, look into the policies of how/when this information is disclosed. In some cases after a certain period of time they are dropped from your record. Or, for minor infractions, the school may not disclose the information at all.

granger

Postby granger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:44 pm

alive wrote:If it was only disciplinary probation from your university, look into the policies of how/when this information is disclosed. In some cases after a certain period of time they are dropped from your record. Or, for minor infractions, the school may not disclose the information at all.

Right, but the application asks if you've ever been placed on probation, not if it shows on your record.

calbears619

Postby calbears619 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:45 am

Don't rely on what the school says about whether or not it has been expunged, you should definitely report it. I know someone who got their NYU admission rescinded because they did not report a disciplinary probation that had been supposedly expunged by the university.
Having this on your app definitely won't help you but with a good addendum you can probably minimize the damage. I mean some undergrad shenanigans aren't quite as bad as having a criminal record

granger

Postby granger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:05 am

Thanks for the help.To be clear, I am not considering lying about them - was always going to report.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:12 am

Just report the incidents, as you intend to, and you will likely, almost certainly, be unaffected.

wonkymonkey

Postby wonkymonkey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Did you go to Cal? I talked to the student conduct office about a drinking citation with the consequences of alcohol.edu and a minor fine and they said to report it to be on the safe side. If you don't it might be an issue for being accepted to the ABA. I think if you have learned from it and submit an addendum, you will be fine. Good luck on apps!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”