"Mrs."

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
powderpuff

"Mrs."

Postby powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:13 pm

I just received a copy of a very strong and compelling LOR from a professor which he has already sent on to LSAC. He refers to me as "Mrs. X." I am married . . . but I go by "Ms." because I am an independent person who happens to be in a marriage. My point is, I don't want law school admissions people to assume that I will earn my law degree and then drop off the radar to raise kids and be "Mrs.X." In fact, my husband would very much like to be a professional house hubby. Is this a big deal or am I overeacting?

Deuce

Re: "Mrs."

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 pm

You're overreacting, Mrs. X.

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I hope this is a joke.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:16 pm

powderpuff wrote:I just received a copy of a very strong and compelling LOR from a professor which he has already sent on to LSAC. He refers to me as "Mrs. X." I am married . . . but I go by "Ms." because I am an independent person who happens to be in a marriage. My point is, I don't want law school admissions people to assume that I will earn my law degree and then drop off the radar to raise kids and be "Mrs.X." In fact, my husband would very much like to be a professional house hubby. Is this a big deal or am I overeacting?

hahaha... totally over-reacting.. I highly doubt any adcom is going to be like, "This candidate is great, except.. what's this? a "Mrs."? Guess she's just going to law school for kicks, DING."

powderpuff

Postby powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:17 pm

LOL. I think whether spoken or not, law school adcomms want all of their students to go out and make a name for themselves (and for the school). I just don't want them to have this impression that I am married to some wealthy guy who is just sending me to law school so I will have something to do for the next 3 years and then sit on my duff for the next 20, living off his riches. Ha!

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Just sue schools that don't let you in for illegal discrimination.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm

If you really want to show your independence for the adcoms, you should file for a divorce.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm

powderpuff wrote:LOL. I think whether spoken or not, law school adcomms want all of their students to go out and make a name for themselves (and for the school). I just don't want them to have this impression that I am married to some wealthy guy who is just sending me to law school so I will have something to do for the next 3 years and then sit on my duff for the next 20, living off his riches. Ha!

You Misses, are retarded.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm

powderpuff wrote:LOL. I think whether spoken or not, law school adcomms want all of their students to go out and make a name for themselves (and for the school). I just don't want them to have this impression that I am married to some wealthy guy who is just sending me to law school so I will have something to do for the next 3 years and then sit on my duff for the next 20, living off his riches. Ha!

I believe your best response to this problem is to right a targeted PS about women's rights and how you will force your husband into a traditional female gender role while you go out and be the breadwinner.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I hope you realize how insulting this is to the millions of married women who choose both to be a "Mrs." and to be a professional.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

If you're just upset because it jars you, get over yourself.

If you honestly think it will affect your chances of admission, I don't think it would be out of place to call him, explain that admissions officers are crazy flaming liberals and will look negatively on such a wholesome, American appellation, and ask him to re-submit it.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I hope to God OP is flame.
Nom Sawyer wrote:
powderpuff wrote:I just received a copy of a very strong and compelling LOR from a professor which he has already sent on to LSAC. He refers to me as "Mrs. X." I am married . . . but I go by "Ms." because I am an independent person who happens to be in a marriage. My point is, I don't want law school admissions people to assume that I will earn my law degree and then drop off the radar to raise kids and be "Mrs.X." In fact, my husband would very much like to be a professional house hubby. Is this a big deal or am I overeacting?

hahaha... totally over-reacting.. I highly doubt any adcom is going to be like, "This candidate is great, except.. what's this? a "Mrs."? Guess she's just going to law school for kicks, DING."

That seems like a retarded assumption to make. LOL I'LL JUS GO SPEND 3 YEARS WORKIN MAH ASS OFF FOR 200K SOUNDS GRATE!

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:20 pm

oneforship wrote:If you really want to show your independence for the adcoms, you should file for a divorce.

This is really the only credited response here.

powderpuff

Postby powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm

manbearwig wrote:

I hope you realize how insulting this is to the millions of married women who choose both to be a "Mrs." and to be a professional.

My insult is aimed toward the old traditional men who seem to think this is the case. Or that a women's place is in the kitchen. Of which, I become a fire hazard.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
oneforship wrote:If you really want to show your independence for the adcoms, you should file for a divorce.

This is really the only credited response here.
Don't deny a man his sugar momma, even if she is fiercely, unnecessarily, and idiotically independent.

powderpuff

Postby powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Okay - so no big deal then, apparently. Thank you all.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm

powderpuff wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

My insult is aimed toward the old traditional men who seem to think this is the case. Or that a women's place is in the kitchen. Of which, I become a fire hazard.
What, all 3 of them? No one thinks this is a reasonable thing to do, or that people do it.
Last edited by stratocophic on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm

powderpuff wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

You didn't write a specific insult, your whole vibe is just insulting.

powderpuff

Postby powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm

On the flipside does it show a sense of maturity? I'm a non-traditional student, etc.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

powderpuff wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

...Are you retroactively applying to law schools in the pre-1960s South?

(People like you give feminists a bad name.)

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

powderpuff wrote:On the flipside does it show a sense of maturity? I'm a non-traditional student, etc.

Do you think Admissions is going to do literary analysis on your letter of recommendation? I doubt they even read most of them.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

This is a gross overreaction. It's not a big deal at all. Relax. No one's even thinking about that but you.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Whoa, way to make a mountain out of a molehill Mrs. Fucking Retard...pardon me, Ms. Fucking Retard
Last edited by trialjunky on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powderpuff

Postby powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm

manbearwig wrote:
powderpuff wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

...Are you retroactively applying to law schools in the pre-1960s South?

(People like you give feminists a bad name.)

I don't understand - I'm not degrading the situation or feminists. My fear is that I will seen as a "Mrs." and not an independent woman.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:26 pm

powderpuff wrote:On the flipside does it show a sense of maturity? I'm a non-traditional student, etc.

You maturity is clearly lacking if you let a little "Ms. vs. Mrs." confusion get you all up in arms.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”