'Why X school?' essay for ED? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
marklg89

New

'Why X school?' essay for ED?

Post by marklg89 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi all,

I'm applying ED to NYU, by far my biggest reach school. I have several genuine reasons as to why it's my #1 choice, and I decided to write an additional 'Why NYU' essay. My question is this: NYU only asks for a PS and an optional DS, so there are no explicit guidelines for any other addenda. What do you guys think would be a good length for such an essay? I was thinking a page, double-spaced, ~400-500 words. Also, it's not an excessive piece, correct? I imagine they see a lot of applications, so to see a really fat file on their desk is disheartening.

Thank you for your advice!

czelede

Silver

Re: 'Why X school?' essay for ED?

Post by czelede » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 pm

marklg89 wrote:Hi all,

I'm applying ED to NYU, by far my biggest reach school. I have several genuine reasons as to why it's my #1 choice, and I decided to write an additional 'Why NYU' essay. My question is this: NYU only asks for a PS and an optional DS, so there are no explicit guidelines for any other addenda. What do you guys think would be a good length for such an essay? I was thinking a page, double-spaced, ~400-500 words. Also, it's not an excessive piece, correct? I imagine they see a lot of applications, so to see a really fat file on their desk is disheartening.

Thank you for your advice!
I would personally pass on a "Why NYU", especially if you're applying ED. They know you want to go there. Additionally, most of HYSCCN know why RD applicants want to go to their schools to begin with (and CCN does not really YP HYS numbers).

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 pm

reading tips on TLS,
they say that an ED is your ultimate why statement....so no need for one....

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Since ED I wouldn't bother.

For what it's worth, NYU specifically states you may include any and all additional materials you desire to include.

marklg89

New

Post by marklg89 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:25 pm

bk187 wrote:Since ED I wouldn't bother.

For what it's worth, NYU specifically states you may include any and all additional materials you desire to include.
That's what I was thinking... ED definitely makes a statement, but since they say you may include any additional materials you so desire, I'm leaning towards adding my essay. I mean, it can't hurt, right?

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”