Is this a good diversity statement topic?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iwanta170

Re: Is this a good diversity statement topic?

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:12 pm

paratactical wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Hey everyone,

I have a new idea for a diversity statement and I wanted to get some opinions. As a member of the student house of representatives at my school I pioneered a bill to lower parking ticket prices because I wanted to aid low-income students who were having trouble affording an education because of their status/background...The bill was passed and prices were lowered. The topic doesn't show why I'm personally diverse, but it shows my desire to help others....Does the idea work for a diversity statement?

Dude.

I tried to be nice and explain what a diversity statement was supposed to do. That would be a better PS and you can talk about growing up with disorders in a DS. Parking ticket shit =/= diverse.

Maybe I didn't explain the idea fully enough. I am one of the students who was having trouble affording a parking decal. I come from a middle class family and am constantly strapped for cash. So I made a bill to help me and others who struggle to afford college. THis couldn't work for a diversity statement?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:16 pm

I am now convinced you are either

1. a flame

2. Extremely, and I mean IQ<72 stupid

3. Suffer from paranoid schizophrenia and are FREAKING OUT about a diversity statement to a law school that doesn't actually exist

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:17 pm

sibley wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Thanks I'm going to do it. My only concern is that my personal statement is about how a disorder (not tourettes) I have made me into an activist and propelled my interest for law (i know i'm being vague, you'd have to read it). Will it look over the top to have a personal statement about this other disorder and a diversity statement about tourette's?

It might look like you're too fragile to get through a semester. You don't have any absences or semesters off do you?

Do you really think this could have a big impact on admissions? I have done a handful of medical withdrawals because of, but have also stayed in school during some semesters in which I was receiving treatments. You think it will look poorly on me that I had to MW from some classes because of my... meh... condition?

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I am now convinced you are either

1. a flame

3. Suffer from paranoid schizophrenia and are FREAKING OUT about a diversity statement to a law school that doesn't actually exist

Why is that sir? I'm not freaking out about anything..I'm just trying to consider all my options with the application process.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:22 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I am now convinced you are either

1. a flame

Why is that sir? I'm not freaking out about anything..I'm just trying to consider all my options with the application process.

You continually, after being told over and over, misunderstand the preschool simplicity that is a DIVERSITY statement.

bleu

Postby bleu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:24 pm

OP you are
1. a moron
2. a flame, mildly funny and pretty creative.

What do you guys think about having too much to write about in the diversity statement.
Gay, black male, Non-traditional, spent most of life in foreign countries.

theskippa10

Postby theskippa10 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:28 pm

i think OP's disorder AAD. Amazingly Annoying disorder

bleu

Postby bleu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:29 pm

theskippa10 wrote:i think OP's disorder AAD. Amazingly Annoying disorder

My avatar can beat up your avatar.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Barbie wrote:
sibley wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Thanks I'm going to do it. My only concern is that my personal statement is about how a disorder (not tourettes) I have made me into an activist and propelled my interest for law (i know i'm being vague, you'd have to read it). Will it look over the top to have a personal statement about this other disorder and a diversity statement about tourette's?

It might look like you're too fragile to get through a semester. You don't have any absences or semesters off do you?

Do you really think this could have a big impact on admissions? I have done a handful of medical withdrawals because of, but have also stayed in school during some semesters in which I was receiving treatments. You think it will look poorly on me that I had to MW from some classes because of my... meh... condition?

could someone please answer me ab this? i'm worried now :shock:

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:31 pm

bleu wrote:OP you are
1. a moron

What do you guys think about having too much to write about in the diversity statement.

None of the above..except for the creative part :)

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Barbie wrote:
Barbie wrote:
sibley wrote:

could someone please answer me ab this? i'm worried now :shock:

I would imagine not, but one thing I know for sure, Sibley is not a credible source, for anything.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:14 pm

OK, so in the name of "playing nicely"......

OP, if you're that dead-set on writing a DS go ahead. Just don't expect anyone on here to give you any constructive advice since we've told you, time and time again, that you shouldn't be writing one and that not having one doesn't negatively affect your apps.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:19 am

Nightrunner wrote:
kazu wrote:OK, so in the name of "playing nicely"......

OP, if you're that dead-set on writing a DS go ahead. Just don't expect anyone on here to give you any constructive advice since we've told you, time and time again, that you shouldn't be writing one and that not having one doesn't negatively affect your apps.

Advice is fine, even if it isn't what OP wants to hear. Posts like these, however:

jdhopeful11 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:are you sure you don't have another disability? Like severe anxiety?

The main disability OP suffers from is Polishness. :lol:

1. a moron

are not advice.

Lmao

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:39 am

Nightrunner wrote:
kazu wrote:OK, so in the name of "playing nicely"......

Advice is fine, even if it isn't what OP wants to hear. Posts like these, however:

jdhopeful11 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:are you sure you don't have another disability? Like severe anxiety?

The main disability OP suffers from is Polishness. :lol:

1. a moron

are not advice.

Yep, point taken.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”