Is this a good diversity statement topic? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Is this a good diversity statement topic?

Post by romothesavior » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:46 pm

sibley wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Thanks I'm going to do it. My only concern is that my personal statement is about how a disorder (not tourettes) I have made me into an activist and propelled my interest for law (i know i'm being vague, you'd have to read it). Will it look over the top to have a personal statement about this other disorder and a diversity statement about tourette's?
It might look like you're too fragile to get through a semester. You don't have any absences or semesters off do you?
If they reject OP because of this, will you let him get in on your lawsuit? Maybe get some others and file a class action?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Thanks I'm going to do it. My only concern is that my personal statement is about how a disorder (not tourettes) I have made me into an activist and propelled my interest for law (i know i'm being vague, you'd have to read it). Will it look over the top to have a personal statement about this other disorder and a diversity statement about tourette's?
It might look like you're too fragile to get through a semester. You don't have any absences or semesters off do you?
If they reject OP because of this, will you let him get in on your lawsuit? Maybe get some others and file a class action?
Absolutely.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd be more worried about your PS. I've read that it's not always a good idea to focus your PS around a "negative." Especially because it is a disorder you have (and therefore uncontrollable, as in you didn't purposefully acquire it/do something for it), it seems you could be running the risk of defining yourself as "a person with XYZ." Just make sure that while you can mention the disorder, you focus any accomplishments or goals you achieved perhaps because of it.

Because there should be more to your PS than just about that disorder, a DS about tourette's should be fine.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:20 pm

so whats to stop someone from writing a made up story of how being homosexual has caused them problems in their college life after deciding to come out about it?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:25 pm

merc280 wrote:so whats to stop someone from writing a made up story of how being homosexual has caused them problems in their college life after deciding to come out about it?
C+F & Facebook.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:26 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:33 pm

paratactical wrote:
sibley wrote:
merc280 wrote:so whats to stop someone from writing a made up story of how being homosexual has caused them problems in their college life after deciding to come out about it?
C+F & Facebook.
Shame that doesn't keep people from threatening crazy lawsuits.
mmm. not surprised you jumped on that. never have anything witty of your own to say, do you?

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:36 pm

yeah but you could be one of those conservative gay people who don't really like openly sleeping around with people, but the same time enjoy only being with the same gender and have a extreme dislike for the opposite sex.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:38 pm

merc280 wrote:yeah but you could be one of those conservative gay people who don't really like openly sleeping around with people, but the same time enjoy only being with the same gender and have a extreme dislike for the opposite sex.
Being gay doesn't help much for LS admissions, so besides the obvious moral reasons not to do this, this strategy is not worth the risk anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:
merc280 wrote:yeah but you could be one of those conservative gay people who don't really like openly sleeping around with people, but the same time enjoy only being with the same gender and have a extreme dislike for the opposite sex.
Being gay doesn't help much for LS admissions, so besides the obvious moral reasons not to do this, this strategy is not worth the risk anyways.
And the person in your situation is unlikely to come out in a way that will cause problems for his or her academic performance.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:45 pm

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:07 pm

If everyone here thinks not having a diversity statement won't hurt me, I guess I just won't do one then. I do plan to a "why X" essay though

I have a question about the addendum too--My GPA is 3.84 but freshman year I was pre-med and got tons of B's. After freshman year I switched and I've gotten all A's since. I would've had close to a 4.0 had it not been for those pre-med courses. Is this something I should talk about on the personal statement or will it look bad?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:09 pm

sibley wrote:
no, none

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:11 pm

you have a 3.84. you will look (incredibly) stupid if you write a GPA addendum. don't do it

congrats on the gpa, though

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:14 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:you have a 3.84. you will look (incredibly) stupid if you write a GPA addendum. don't do it

congrats on the gpa, though
only 86% at my school though...do law schools care about the %?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:38 pm

are you sure you don't have another disability? Like severe anxiety?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:50 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:are you sure you don't have another disability? Like severe anxiety?

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Okay so if I was to write one on how being gay and coming out while living with my family who is as conservative as George W. Bush has caused me to be thrown out of the inner circle of family trust, and how it relates to law since that too is a pretty conservative field. Would that be a decent topic to write a diversity statement on to show law schools that I plan on bringing diversity to their school?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:15 pm

merc280 wrote:Okay so if I was to write one on how being gay and coming out while living with my family who is as conservative as George W. Bush has caused me to be thrown out of the inner circle of family trust, and how it relates to law since that too is a pretty conservative field. Would that be a decent topic to write a diversity statement on to show law schools that I plan on bringing diversity to their school?
Being gay does not have a measurable impact. It ain't no URM boost. If you are gay, go for it. But if you are straight and you plan on doing this, you are a coward and a fool.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:17 am

dont even bother, what you're proposing is a reach for a ds

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:14 am

sibley wrote:
C+F & Facebook.

Law schools seriously use facebook as a research tool?

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 am

Patriot1208 wrote:are you sure you don't have another disability? Like severe anxiety?
The main disability OP suffers from is Polishness. :lol:

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a new idea for a diversity statement and I wanted to get some opinions. As a member of the student house of representatives at my school I pioneered a bill to lower campus parking decal prices because I wanted to aid low-income students who were having trouble affording an education because of their status/background...The bill was passed and prices were lowered. The topic doesn't show why I'm personally diverse, but it shows my desire to help others....Does the idea work for a diversity statement?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:09 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”