Addendum question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
merc280

Addendum question

Postby merc280 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:04 am

I have a question regarding addendum's and whether or not I should write one. First for the GPA addendum, I have a cumulative GPA of 2.8, Im not sure what the lsac GPA will be for another week or two. My low GPA was mainly during my freshman and sophomore year when i had pressure from my family to go the pre med route, but then after doing horribly in my science classes and getting put on academic probation twice i changed my major and decided on law. my grades after that were A's and B's except for my last semester when i made 2 D's because of family sickness. Should I write an addendum for this? I feel like there wasn't anything significant such as depression or drugs that caused the academic probation so should I still write one to tell them I had trouble adjusting to school or just leave it be.

Question 2- My first LSAT score was a 149,and I am scheduled to retake it in Oct and think I will do way better this time. Back in June I was really sick but decided not to cancel the score since I thought I didn't do too bad. Should I write a addendum that's a few sentences long or just leave it and let the new LSAT score do the talking?

Thanks in advance

SullaFelix

Re: Addendum question

Postby SullaFelix » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 am

merc280 wrote:I have a question regarding addendum's and whether or not I should write one. First for the GPA addendum, I have a cumulative GPA of 2.8, Im not sure what the lsac GPA will be for another week or two. My low GPA was mainly during my freshman and sophomore year when i had pressure from my family to go the pre med route, but then after doing horribly in my science classes and getting put on academic probation twice i changed my major and decided on law. my grades after that were A's and B's except for my last semester when i made 2 D's because of family sickness. Should I write an addendum for this? I feel like there wasn't anything significant such as depression or drugs that caused the academic probation so should I still write one to tell them I had trouble adjusting to school or just leave it be.

Question 2- My first LSAT score was a 149,and I am scheduled to retake it in Oct and think I will do way better this time. Back in June I was really sick but decided not to cancel the score since I thought I didn't do too bad. Should I write a addendum that's a few sentences long or just leave it and let the new LSAT score do the talking?

Thanks in advance

You don't have adequate reason for a GPA addendum. Addenda should only come into play if the circumstances would provide needed clarity or perspective. Here, you'd just be confirming what they likely would assume was a likely scenario — and would be indifferent toward.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:27 am

Great material for a personal statement showing your motivation for wanting to be a plaintiff's medical malpractice attorney.

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:30 am

GPA Addendum: I would wait to see what your LSAC GPA is once your transcript has been processed but, assuming it is fairly close/the same as the 2.8, i think you would be better served focusing on the 2 D's tarnishing your upward grade trend due to family illness, rather than the fact that you let your family pressure you into going pre-med. This may read differently to others, but to me, the latter doesn't illicit sympathy so much as make me think that you may have some maturing to do before entering law school.

LSAT Addendum: I would hold off on deciding whether or not to write an addendum until you get your second score. If your second score is significantly higher, then I would absolutely write an addendum. But a 149 and an addendum explaining illness won't do anything for you without a higher score to back up the fact that you would have performed better had it not been for the illness.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:08 pm

SullaFelix wrote:
merc280 wrote:I have a question regarding addendum's and whether or not I should write one. First for the GPA addendum, I have a cumulative GPA of 2.8, Im not sure what the lsac GPA will be for another week or two. My low GPA was mainly during my freshman and sophomore year when i had pressure from my family to go the pre med route, but then after doing horribly in my science classes and getting put on academic probation twice i changed my major and decided on law. my grades after that were A's and B's except for my last semester when i made 2 D's because of family sickness. Should I write an addendum for this? I feel like there wasn't anything significant such as depression or drugs that caused the academic probation so should I still write one to tell them I had trouble adjusting to school or just leave it be.

Thanks in advance

You don't have adequate reason for a GPA addendum. Addenda should only come into play if the circumstances would provide needed clarity or perspective. Here, you'd just be confirming what they likely would assume was a likely scenario — and would be indifferent toward.

but then wouldn't it look bad that I don't have an addendum at all, or would it look worse that I have one that doesn't do much but explains the D's?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”