Policy to not write LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cccZillo

Policy to not write LOR

Postby cccZillo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:22 pm

My editor told me that he can't write me a letter of recommendation because it's the paper's policy not to do so. He says, for example, if I "shot up" the law school our paper "could be held responsible."

Question is, has anyone heard of such a policy, or did I just get the blow-off?

If it's the blow-off, I can just go to my other editor. But say it is a real policy. I've been out of undergrad for 3 years now, all three of which I've spent at this paper. In other words, it's an important LOR. What do I do?

spondee

Re: Policy to not write LOR

Postby spondee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Try the other editor, discreetly.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Sounds like he's bullshitting you to me. That said, many businesses do have legal policies that prevent employees from providing references.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:46 am

cccZillo wrote:My editor told me that he can't write me a letter of recommendation because it's the paper's policy not to do so. He says, for example, if I "shot up" the law school our paper "could be held responsible."

Question is, has anyone heard of such a policy, or did I just get the blow-off?

If it's the blow-off, I can just go to my other editor. But say it is a real policy. I've been out of undergrad for 3 years now, all three of which I've spent at this paper. In other words, it's an important LOR. What do I do?

I think the "shot up" excuse is pretty lame and indicative of a blow-off. There could be a valid reason for a policy against references though. I'm thinking if he wrote you a glowing reference, then 6 months down the road you become an abominable turd and he fires you, then you bring your glowing reference into your unemployment hearing and he is forced to reinstate you. Even this would be a stretch because if he had documented your turd-ness properly the old reference would not matter.

Even with a policy, a solid leader will discreetly write you a personal reference.

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:12 am

Disney has the same policy. If you call and ask them about a previous employee's performance, all they are allowed to do is verify that they did in fact work there and the dates of employment. They can, however, write personal references that speak to your character as a person (not an employee). Not sure if a character reference is an acceptable LOR though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”