Everything that I know now makes me wonder...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdhopeful11

Everything that I know now makes me wonder...

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:32 pm

I've planned on going to law school since I could remember. Now that I know everything that I know about the "numbers game" with law schools, I kind of wish I could go back in time and attend an easier, yet far less prestigious UG institution. My UG is really good, but not Ivy, which is all adcomms really care about. The only positives that I can take from my UG education are my writing skillz and analytical thinking ability, which probably would not be up to par at a crappy college. But still, all of that doesn't really matter since it's a numbers game. So are my regrets warranted? Does it make sense for an aspiring law student who can't get into an Ivy UG to attend a t2 or t3 UG instead for the sake of having a killer GPA ready when the time comes for ls?

Re: Everything that I know now makes me wonder...

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 pm

3.0 pretty bad. You probably would have sucked wherever you went. I would have.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:39 pm

I find that people who are totally up their own assholes about how challenging and prestigious their undergrad universities are tend to be too dumb to score a killer GPA anywhere. Especially since "prestigious" undergraduate programs have such epic grade inflation that many of their students would be shocked that it takes more than showing up on test day to get a B.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:40 pm

Of course, I may be unable to fully grasp your point because I went to a state school and do not have your superior analytical thinking ability.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I find that people who are totally up their own assholes about how challenging and prestigious their undergrad universities are tend to be too dumb to score a killer GPA anywhere. Especially since "prestigious" undergraduate programs have such epic grade inflation that many of their students would be shocked that it takes more than showing up on test day to get a B.

I take it your 4.0 was from Phoenix Online. :mrgreen:

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:43 pm

it makes sense to go to the college that makes you happy. As much as this community likes to think the world revolves around law school admissions, there's far more to college than just posting a GPA. Enjoy these four years; they'll come and go before you know it, and you won't be able to get them back. Make the most of em.

(Though a high GPA should also be a priority).

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:48 pm

I don't understand what you're regretting. It's not all about ivies...IMO
Last edited by ARTfulDodger on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:48 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Of course, I may be unable to fully grasp your point because I went to a state school and do not have your superior analytical thinking ability.

+1

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:50 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote: My UG is really good, but not Ivy,

RC FAIL

ARTfulDodger wrote: Be grateful you got to go to an ivy.

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 pm

^^^

Lol my bad.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Eh, thanks to my undergrad, I've got debt and possibly a lower GPA. However, I loved all four years of it, and knowing what I know now, would still make the same decision in a heart beat. College can be such an awesome time, and people need to go where they'll make the most of it.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I find that people who are totally up their own assholes about how challenging and prestigious their undergrad universities are tend to be too dumb to score a killer GPA anywhere. Especially since "prestigious" undergraduate programs have such epic grade inflation that many of their students would be shocked that it takes more than showing up on test day to get a B.

+1

Yeah, I think my GPA would be about equivalent if I went to my in-state flagship. There are plenty of bright and hardworking kids at my flagship who just didn't want to shell out $$$, so they'd be legitimate competition on a curve. My GPA would probably be higher if I went to some of the other state schools, simply because those tend to be filled with kids who partied and failed their way through high school who continue to fail their way through college and that's not really difficult to beat.

Comparing notes with friends from different schools, I would say the truly difficult prestigious undergrad programs are at MIT & CalTech. At places like the Ivies, there is the difficulty in that the competition tends to just be harder working, but the curve is also easier, so it evens out. I would say the effort to get an A is equivalent, or perhaps slightly harder at my university depending on the major, but that it's a lot easier to get Bs compared to my flagship at my school, and much more rare to get Cs or to fail.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”