Need help with addendum-criminal record

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:35 pm

This post, in fact, tops your last post in the level of stupidity. Now the implication is that alcohol related laws are racist or that enforcement of them is selective purposely to be racist. And your argument to support that is that other countries have lower rates of alcoholism. You are really letting your ugly side shine through aren't you? I would stop before you bury yourself neck deep.


Reading comprehension fail. Selective enforcement BEING racist is not at all the same as the PURPOSE of the selective enforcement being racist. SERVING a purpose is different than a purpose itself. And my argument AGAINST the law is that regardless of enforcement, selective or otherwise, they are obviously ineffective. There is a reason there is spacing between them.

Understand this. let me put it into tight neat test phrases for you.

Alcohol related laws exist. The original purpose or the purpose of the enforcement is irrelevant, but is commonly understood and defended as reducing alcohol abuse OR reducing the negative effects thereof. These laws are selectively enforced and are done so in a way that inordinately affect minorities. They also do NOT serve to reduce alcohol abuse OR negative effects thereof (hence, the other countries' laws data). So they SERVE NO OTHER PURPOSE than to create racially selective enforcement.

And just to inform you, every drug law we have was originally effected into law by racist sentiment, at least in part. Marijuana=anti-Mexican, Opium=anti-Chinese, Alcohol was a mix of anti German WWI sentiment and a reduction in the voting population of men relative to women and a major argument against cocaine in the 50's was that it would induce gangs of black men to rape white women en masse.

Thanks for playing. Peace.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
This post, in fact, tops your last post in the level of stupidity. Now the implication is that alcohol related laws are racist or that enforcement of them is selective purposely to be racist. And your argument to support that is that other countries have lower rates of alcoholism. You are really letting your ugly side shine through aren't you? I would stop before you bury yourself neck deep.


Reading comprehension fail. Selective enforcement BEING racist is not at all the same as the PURPOSE of the selective enforcement being racist. SERVING a purpose is different than a purpose itself. And my argument AGAINST the law is that regardless of enforcement, selective or otherwise, they are obviously ineffective. There is a reason there is spacing between them.

Understand this. let me put it into tight neat test phrases for you.

Alcohol related laws exist. The original purpose or the purpose of the enforcement is irrelevant, but is commonly understood and defended as reducing alcohol abuse OR reducing the negative effects thereof. These laws are selectively enforced and are done so in a way that inordinately affect minorities. They also do NOT serve to reduce alcohol abuse OR negative effects thereof (hence, the other countries' laws data). So they SERVE NO OTHER PURPOSE than to create racially selective enforcement.

And just to inform you, every drug law we have was originally effected into law by racist sentiment, at least in part. Marijuana=anti-Mexican, Opium=anti-Chinese, Alcohol was a mix of anti German WWI sentiment and a reduction in the voting population of men relative to women and a major argument against cocaine in the 50's was that it would induce gangs of black men to rape white women en masse.

Thanks for playing. Peace.


lol notice the OR in my phrase which is in fact the same thing as your first sentence. Sorry buddy, you think you're being smart, but really your just digging yourself a hole with stupidity, racism, and overall ignorance.

And for future reference, stop trying to use LSAT related digs, even if they were applicable (which in this case obviously it's not) it really just makes you look like a douchebag, because lets be honest, the LSAT correlates almost none to real life arguments.

I also want to point out the inherent flaws in your argument. First, you argue that the original intent of laws do not matter, when in fact this is one of the most important tools in evaluating laws and applying them to real world situations. Then you decide to use original intent as an argument which is a clear contradiction from the first part of your argument. While doing this you again make racist speculations which are impossible to prove. Therefore, your argument has absolutely zero merit because you contradict yourself and cite evidence that you cannot back up or prove.

And lastly, claiming victory in an argument when clearly you have done nothing to do so is at best ignorant and at worst a stupid appeal to be given credit by those that don't actually read what you write. Either way, again you look stupid.

GoBroncos22!
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby GoBroncos22! » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:48 pm

lol, I love how off topic some of these discussions get. Alcohol doesnt cause people to become alcoholics or stupid criminals while they are drunk. Its stupid people who alow themselves to become controlled by alcohol. I fall in the latter group of people. And now im praying I havnt effed myself over for law school

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:51 pm

OP I had 2 DUIs plus some other alcohol related offenses to disclose to law school and the bar. I was a bit of a drunk in my younger days, well a bit is an understatement. Anyway I am going to disagree with the advice here about writing a short to the point addendum. You, like I, have a record that shows a problem with the booze. You need to explain that and show them you have addressed it.

I used my addendum to help my application, not hurt it anymore. I took full responsibility for my stupidity. Spelled out exactly hat the charges where, we I got them, what I did to complete my senatce. Then the next 3 paraphrags in my 1-page single spaced addendum where about getting sober and the radical changes that had for the good on my life. Got the bad out first, ended the addendum with the good and added to my overall application is fleshing out who I was as an applicant.

I think in this situation its better to bring the subject up front and discuss it candidly than try to minimize it. Tell the reader what to think about you and what you leaned form this, don't just let them assume. Do your best to make it work for you rather than trying to minimize it.

In the end it did not seem to affect my admissions at all, in fact, it might have helped some. Also no impact on the bar admissions.

But you will need every record you can get from this for LS apps and the bar, so get copies now while you can. Some schools will ask for copies showing you have satisfied all sentencing requirements, the bar will ask for copies of every dam thing. I think the reason why the bar had nothing to say about it for me was again I wrote a similar addendum and then gave them every single record, even copies of the DUI ticket from 12 years ago. basically I gave them so much info they had nothing left to ask me for or any reason to think I was trying to hide anything or minimize anything.

Get copies of every single record you can now, I mean everything, and keep them in a safe place. If you don't do it now it will hold up your bar app later. I know folks who didn't and had to fly back home to get certified copies because they did not think ahead. In some states if you app is not complete for the bar, including any copies of citations, they can prevent you from taking the bar until it is, meaning you miss the July bar and have to wait till February, don't be that guy/gal.

GoBroncos22!
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby GoBroncos22! » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Matthies wrote:OP I had 2 DUIs plus some other alcohol related offenses to disclose to law school and the bar. I was a bit of a drunk in my younger days, well a bit is an understatement. Anyway I am going to disagree with the advice here about writing a short to the point addendum. You, like I, have a record that shows a problem with the booze. You need to explain that and show them you have addressed it.

I used my addendum to help my application, not hurt it anymore. I took full responsibility for my stupidity. Spelled out exactly hat the charges where, we I got them, what I did to complete my senatce. Then the next 3 paraphrags in my 1-page single spaced addendum where about getting sober and the radical changes that had for the good on my life. Got the bad out first, ended the addendum with the good and added to my overall application is fleshing out who I was as an applicant.

I think in this situation its better to bring the subject up front and discuss it candidly than try to minimize it. Tell the reader what to think about you and what you leaned form this, don't just let them assume. Do your best to make it work for you rather than trying to minimize it.

In the end it did not seem to affect my admissions at all, in fact, it might have helped some. Also no impact on the bar admissions.

But you will need every record you can get from this for LS apps and the bar, so get copies now while you can. Some schools will ask for copies showing you have satisfied all sentencing requirements, the bar will ask for copies of every dam thing. I think the reason why the bar had nothing to say about it for me was again I wrote a similar addendum and then gave them every single record, even copies of the DUI ticket from 12 years ago. basically I gave them so much info they had nothing left to ask me for or any reason to think I was trying to hide anything or minimize anything.

Get copies of every single record you can now, I mean everything, and keep them in a safe place. If you don't do it now it will hold up your bar app later. I know folks who didn't and had to fly back home to get certified copies because they did not think ahead. In some states if you app is not complete for the bar, including any copies of citations, they can prevent you from taking the bar until it is, meaning you miss the July bar and have to wait till February, don't be that guy/gal.



Wow, thanks alot for the heads up. I will definitely do that now. Ill call the clerks office tomorrow. And thanks for making me feel a little better about this. Im glad to know im not the only one who has been distraught over stupid choices I made completely effing me over for law school.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:
Matthies wrote:OP I had 2 DUIs plus some other alcohol related offenses to disclose to law school and the bar. I was a bit of a drunk in my younger days, well a bit is an understatement. Anyway I am going to disagree with the advice here about writing a short to the point addendum. You, like I, have a record that shows a problem with the booze. You need to explain that and show them you have addressed it.

I used my addendum to help my application, not hurt it anymore. I took full responsibility for my stupidity. Spelled out exactly hat the charges where, we I got them, what I did to complete my senatce. Then the next 3 paraphrags in my 1-page single spaced addendum where about getting sober and the radical changes that had for the good on my life. Got the bad out first, ended the addendum with the good and added to my overall application is fleshing out who I was as an applicant.

I think in this situation its better to bring the subject up front and discuss it candidly than try to minimize it. Tell the reader what to think about you and what you leaned form this, don't just let them assume. Do your best to make it work for you rather than trying to minimize it.

In the end it did not seem to affect my admissions at all, in fact, it might have helped some. Also no impact on the bar admissions.

But you will need every record you can get from this for LS apps and the bar, so get copies now while you can. Some schools will ask for copies showing you have satisfied all sentencing requirements, the bar will ask for copies of every dam thing. I think the reason why the bar had nothing to say about it for me was again I wrote a similar addendum and then gave them every single record, even copies of the DUI ticket from 12 years ago. basically I gave them so much info they had nothing left to ask me for or any reason to think I was trying to hide anything or minimize anything.

Get copies of every single record you can now, I mean everything, and keep them in a safe place. If you don't do it now it will hold up your bar app later. I know folks who didn't and had to fly back home to get certified copies because they did not think ahead. In some states if you app is not complete for the bar, including any copies of citations, they can prevent you from taking the bar until it is, meaning you miss the July bar and have to wait till February, don't be that guy/gal.



Wow, thanks alot for the heads up. I will definitely do that now. Ill call the clerks office tomorrow. And thanks for making me feel a little better about this. Im glad to know im not the only one who has been distraught over stupid choices I made completely effing me over for law school.


BTW based on your name are you in CO/Denver? Want to pratice here? Becuase the schools and bar I am talking about are here, I'm a lawyer in Denver. So if CO is your traget u should be fine based on my experinces.

GoBroncos22!
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby GoBroncos22! » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:28 pm

I am actually from Boise, Idaho. But Denver U is a top choice of mine and I would love to work in the denver area. I absolutely love it down there

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:First, you argue that the original intent of laws do not matter, when in fact this is one of the most important tools in evaluating laws and applying them to real world situations. Then you decide to use original intent as an argument which is a clear contradiction from the first part of your argument. While doing this you again make racist speculations which are impossible to prove.


How are my speculations racist when they are true (and possible to prove)?

Alcohol prohibition
"National Prohibition was defended as a war measure. The amendment's proponents argued that grain should be made into bread for fighting men and not for making liquor. Anti-German sentiment aided Prohibition's approval. The Anti-Saloon League called Milwaukee's brewers "the worst of all our German enemies," and dubbed their beer "Kaiser brew." "
--LinkRemoved--

Marijuana
"When Montana outlawed marijuana in 1927, the Butte Montana Standard reported a legislator’s comment: “When some beet field peon takes a few traces of this stuff… he thinks he has just been elected president of Mexico, so he starts out to execute all his political enemies.” In Texas, a senator said on the floor of the Senate: “All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff [marijuana] is what makes them crazy.”"
"Again, racism was part of the charge against marijuana, as newspapers in 1934 editorialized: “Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men’s shadows and look at a white woman twice.” "

ANSLINGER, the architect of the Marijuana tax act (and related by marriage to the DuPont family, which oddly enough was making synthetic fibers to compete with hemp
“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”
--LinkRemoved--

Opium
According to Hill, "Gompers [Samuel Gompers, President of the American Federation of Labor 1886-1924, except for one year] conjures up a terrible picture of how the Chinese entice little white boys and girls into becoming 'opium fiends.' Condemned to spend their days in the back of laundry rooms, these tiny lost souls would yield up their virgin bodies to their maniacal yellow captors. "What other crimes were committed in those dark fetid places," Gompers writes, "when these
little innocent victims of the Chinamen's wiles were under the influence of the drug, are almost too horrible to imagine... There are hundreds, aye, thousands, of our American girls and boys who have acquired this deathly habit and are doomed, hopelessly doomed, beyond the shadow of redemption."

Cocaine
One article in the New York Times even went so far as to say that cocaine made blacks shoot better, that it would "increase, rather than interfere with good marksmanship... The record of the 'cocaine deleted' near Asheville, who dropped five men dead in their tracks, using only one cartridge for each, offers evidence that is sufficiently convincing."(1) A Literary Digest article claimed that "most of the attacks upon white women of the South are the direct result of the cocaine-crazed Negro brain."(2) When Coca-Cola removed cocaine from their drink, it was not out of concern for their customers' health. It was to please their Southern market, which "feared blacks getting cocaine in any form."(3)

The racism went beyond blacks. When "every Jew peddler in the South carries the stuff,"(4) inciting blacks to rape white women, what choice did we have but prohibition?
http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Prohibition/H ... %20Racism/

Ignorance bothers me.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:54 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:First, you argue that the original intent of laws do not matter, when in fact this is one of the most important tools in evaluating laws and applying them to real world situations. Then you decide to use original intent as an argument which is a clear contradiction from the first part of your argument. While doing this you again make racist speculations which are impossible to prove.


How are my speculations racist when they are true (and possible to prove)?

Alcohol prohibition
"National Prohibition was defended as a war measure. The amendment's proponents argued that grain should be made into bread for fighting men and not for making liquor. Anti-German sentiment aided Prohibition's approval. The Anti-Saloon League called Milwaukee's brewers "the worst of all our German enemies," and dubbed their beer "Kaiser brew." "
--LinkRemoved--

Marijuana
"When Montana outlawed marijuana in 1927, the Butte Montana Standard reported a legislator’s comment: “When some beet field peon takes a few traces of this stuff… he thinks he has just been elected president of Mexico, so he starts out to execute all his political enemies.” In Texas, a senator said on the floor of the Senate: “All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff [marijuana] is what makes them crazy.”"
"Again, racism was part of the charge against marijuana, as newspapers in 1934 editorialized: “Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men’s shadows and look at a white woman twice.” "

ANSLINGER, the architect of the Marijuana tax act (and related by marriage to the DuPont family, which oddly enough was making synthetic fibers to compete with hemp
“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”
--LinkRemoved--

Opium
According to Hill, "Gompers [Samuel Gompers, President of the American Federation of Labor 1886-1924, except for one year] conjures up a terrible picture of how the Chinese entice little white boys and girls into becoming 'opium fiends.' Condemned to spend their days in the back of laundry rooms, these tiny lost souls would yield up their virgin bodies to their maniacal yellow captors. "What other crimes were committed in those dark fetid places," Gompers writes, "when these
little innocent victims of the Chinamen's wiles were under the influence of the drug, are almost too horrible to imagine... There are hundreds, aye, thousands, of our American girls and boys who have acquired this deathly habit and are doomed, hopelessly doomed, beyond the shadow of redemption."

Cocaine
One article in the New York Times even went so far as to say that cocaine made blacks shoot better, that it would "increase, rather than interfere with good marksmanship... The record of the 'cocaine black man' near Asheville, who dropped five men dead in their tracks, using only one cartridge for each, offers evidence that is sufficiently convincing."(1) A Literary Digest article claimed that "most of the attacks upon white women of the South are the direct result of the cocaine-crazed Negro brain."(2) When Coca-Cola removed cocaine from their drink, it was not out of concern for their customers' health. It was to please their Southern market, which "feared blacks getting cocaine in any form."(3)

The racism went beyond blacks. When "every Jew peddler in the South carries the stuff,"(4) inciting blacks to rape white women, what choice did we have but prohibition?
http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Prohibition/H ... %20Racism/

Ignorance bothers me.


Ok, I believe this here was my fault. I should have been more specific. During the time when the first drug laws were put in place they did have racist sentiment, because well, everything at this time had racist sentiment. There likely wasn't a legislative conversation that didn't have a racist undertone to it. So of course you are going to be able to pull quotes from Senators from the twenties that are blatantly racist. But the implication that the entire group of legislators wrote these laws mainly out of racist intent is not something that can be proved and is speculation. Also, you would be hard pressed to find any recent drug laws that you can prove are specifially racist. I can pull racist comments from current legislators, but that doesn't provide proof of anything, not even that the specific person is actually racist.

But really, a history of racism argument in Congress is not one that I wanted to have, and is not what this started out to be. You are using a straw man argument to deflect the original argument which was that you are stupid by implying that current alcohol related laws serve no purpose other than to raise police powers which they in return abuse regularly by using racist and selective enforcement. This is the argument that you cannot prove and is pure speculation.

BTW, your childish tone and potshots that are clearly premature do nothing then just work to discredit your own credibility.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:34 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:I am actually from Boise, Idaho. But Denver U is a top choice of mine and I would love to work in the denver area. I absolutely love it down there


Denver is where I went, keep me posted on your cycle and good luck.

GoBroncos22!
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby GoBroncos22! » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Matthies wrote:
GoBroncos22! wrote:I am actually from Boise, Idaho. But Denver U is a top choice of mine and I would love to work in the denver area. I absolutely love it down there


Denver is where I went, keep me posted on your cycle and good luck.


Will do, thanks alot

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Also, you would be hard pressed to find any recent drug laws that you can prove are specifially racist.


Yea, the fact that a white guy smoking pot on the Upper West Side is 150 times less likely to be busted than a black guy in Brooklyn is race-blind. Or crack v. coke laws. Or excessive unconstitutional patdowns with no probably cause of black and hispanic men. Or inordinate drug sentences for non-white drug offenders. Or the obvious fact that public drinking laws tend to be a great way to harass minorities drinking a stoop beer...but of course, you want some sort of undeniable proof, and when specific ones are given, you will argue it is some isolated fact.

Have fun in your little patriotic bubble. Good luck on getting that gated community, because your level of being sheltered from reality is shocking.

Peace

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Marionberry » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:13 pm

I was trying to stay out of this silly fight as much as possible, but I can't help myself. Everything you're describing can just as easily, and probably more accurately, be attributed to poverty and class issues. Are minorities more likely to live in poverty? Yes, but that's an entirely different argument.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:32 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Also, you would be hard pressed to find any recent drug laws that you can prove are specifially racist.


Yea, the fact that a white guy smoking pot on the Upper West Side is 150 times less likely to be busted than a black guy in Brooklyn is race-blind. Or crack v. coke laws. Or excessive unconstitutional patdowns with no probably cause of black and hispanic men. Or inordinate drug sentences for non-white drug offenders. Or the obvious fact that public drinking laws tend to be a great way to harass minorities drinking a stoop beer...but of course, you want some sort of undeniable proof, and when specific ones are given, you will argue it is some isolated fact.

Have fun in your little patriotic bubble. Good luck on getting that gated community, because your level of being sheltered from reality is shocking.

Peace


Thank you for taking away any credibility you may have ever had. You did my job for me. You keep making statements about how apparently ignorant I am, that law enforcement officials are just all a bunch of racist pricks and that their selective enforcement as well as the legislative intent of many laws are just to keep minorities down, and you fail to realize that all you are doing is discrediting yourself from being able to form an actual argument. Everything you are stating, even if it were as bad as you say it is (which it is not) can easily be contributed to probably a dozen other causes. You are assuming that because there is a correlation that the race correlation is the only correlation, when in fact it could be part, or absolutely no part of the cause. Now, of course racism does exist, and it is unfortunately used at times by cops, but your clear chip on your shoulder is going to cloud your judgement in any argument about the fact.

And BTW, in regards to your last line of the first paragraph, i'm waiting for your specific proof you apparently have.

Also, this is only anecdotal evidence, but the VAST majority of people I know young and old that have had alcohol related arrests were white frat boys and it happened during college.

Lastly, one thing I think you're not understanding, is that when you make a very definite and somewhat outlandish remark like the one that started this, the burden of proof is on you, so really, you shouldn't make an argumentative remark unless you are prepared to back it up with evidence.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Everything you are stating, even if it were as bad as you say it is (which it is not) can easily be contributed to probably a dozen other causes. You are assuming that because there is a correlation that the race correlation is the only correlation, when in fact it could be part, or absolutely no part of the cause...

...

Also, this is only anecdotal evidence, but the VAST majority of people I know young and old that have had alcohol related arrests were white frat boys and it happened during college.



I'm going to guess the vast majority of people you know are white...no wonder the only alcohol related arrests were white frat boys

And the correlation (dozen other causes etc arguement) is exclusively race related

study
http://www.law.columbia.edu/center_prog ... frisk6.pdf

And all the evidence in the world wouldn't convince you, looking at your post history. All the evidence in the world, from prohibition (a relatively settled historical fact) to Congressional testimony and record (read through them) wouldn't convince you

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:35 pm

First, I went to high school that was about 50 percent minority. Second, I'm not sure this means "And the correlation (dozen other causes etc arguement) is exclusively race related" because sure, more minorities are impoverished, no one is disputing that, but how does that back up your claim that police are out to get minorities?

Now, i'm doubting that you actually read the study you posted, because at best it provides no support for your argument, and at worst it supports me.

Lets look at some quotes:

In the period for which we had data, the NYPD's records indicate that they were stopping
blacks and hispanics more often than whites


Ok, no doubt, I never said that they weren't, I even said I believe some racism is going on.

for the less common stops for property and drug crimes,
whites and hispanics are more often stopped than blacks


Wow, white people being stopped more often for drug crimes? One of the laws you specifically stated were racist?

A related piece of evidence is that stops of blacks and hispanics were less likely than
those of whites to lead to arrest


Now, they state they believe that this might be related to standards being more relaxed to stop black people, but they also concede it could mean a higher likelihood of wanting to arrest white people (perhaps economic incentive of someone being more likely to be able to pay a higher fine?)

23% of stops were judged to not articulate a reasonable suspicion. (There was no
strong pattern by ethnicity here: the rate of stops judged to be unreasonable were about
the same for all ethnic groups.) The stops judged to be without \reasonable suspicion"
indeed seemed to be weaker, in that only 1 in 29 of these stops led to arrests, as compared
to 1 in 7 of the stops with reasonable suspicion.


These were staistics deemed by the NY attorney general, so if you want to make another "the attorney generals office is racist" argument go ahead, but without a doubt this is pretty damning to your argument.

Basically, they deemed there could be racism going on when stopping people but it's small, and they don't believe racism is going on in arrests.

I actually could go on, but I think i've made my point.

As a side note, Ad hominem attacks don't work either, so you should avoid those too.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Wow, white people being stopped more often for drug crimes? One of the laws you specifically stated were racist?


The laws are racist. These data were in reference to your arguement that selective prosecution being brought up was some "chip on my shoulder"

btw the full quote was THIS

In the less common categories of stop, whites were slightly more often stopped for property crimes and more often stopped for drug crimes, in proportion to their previous year's arrests in any given precinct.

Kinda proving my point, no? In a study that showed that in OTHER categories, blacks were being searched more often, while whites were found inordinately to their level of ARRESTS, not use etc, to be searched. Along with the fact that whites use illegal drugs more often than blacks, it kind of serves that they are arrested LESS for their drug "crimes"

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:33 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Wow, white people being stopped more often for drug crimes? One of the laws you specifically stated were racist?


The laws are racist. These data were in reference to your arguement that selective prosecution being brought up was some "chip on my shoulder"

btw the full quote was THIS

In the less common categories of stop, whites were slightly more often stopped for property crimes and more often stopped for drug crimes, in proportion to their previous year's arrests in any given precinct.

Kinda proving my point, no? In a study that showed that in OTHER categories, blacks were being searched more often, while whites were found inordinately to their level of ARRESTS, not use etc, to be searched. Along with the fact that whites use illegal drugs more often than blacks, it kind of serves that they are arrested LESS for their drug "crimes"



Well your first sentence is again, a straw man argument, because I again never said selective enforcement didn't happen.

You also completely ignore most of the argument, and selectively talk about one point. Which, in response to your question, no, it in no way kinda proves your point. I would actually read your cited evidence next time, because it undoubtedly works against you, and you can't spin it otherwise. Listen, word of advice, you look foolish here, because you continue to argue something that you clearly do not have the aptitude or knowledge to do so. In the future, especially law school, make sure that you can back up your arguments before you make definitive claims. And make sure you don't use evidence that discredits your viewpoint.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Marionberry » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:44 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
superhands
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby superhands » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:52 pm

OP, I too have made some foolish decisions in the past. PM me if you want to swap addenda.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Helicio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:54 pm

Marionberry wrote:--ImageRemoved--


LOL.

This is WIN.

Boltz
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Boltz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:54 pm

superhands wrote:OP, I too have made some foolish decisions in the past. PM me if you want to swap addenda.

ENGLISH MOTHER FUCKER... Do you speak it?

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:54 pm

This is a serious derailment of a thread.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Helicio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:00 pm

BOOM.
Last edited by Helicio on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Need help with addendum-criminal record

Postby Marionberry » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:00 pm

This thread needed to be re-railed, or at the very least de-railed from its de-railment.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests