Alternatives to Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deadhipsters

Bronze

Alternatives to Law School

Post by deadhipsters » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:12 pm

I am just curious as to what some peoples plans are if they fail to get the LSAT score they desire/ are denied acceptance to the law school (s) of their choice/ decide law school is poor financial decision, etc. What other options are liberal arts majors considering?

General Tso

Gold

Re: Alternatives to Law School

Post by General Tso » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:15 pm

if you are inclined to go the business route, I'd get a certificate at a local university's extension in something like Finance or MIS. These are very affordable compared to the cost of a BBA or MBA (eg- UCLA, UCB extensions charge around $4000-5000 for a certificate).

Then I'd work for a few years in that sector. If after 4-5 years my career is not progressing, I'd consider an MBA (but try to get the employer to fund it...MBA tuition is skyrocketing).

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Endgames

New

Post by Endgames » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Well, I'm not in the position of not being able to get into the school I want, but I am not sure whether or not law school is the route for me yet. Thus, my plan as of now is to get a job in either market research, marketing, or biz development because this field seems very interesting to me. After further research of law school and depending on how my work is going I may opt to go to law school after a couple years.

My info:
Econ/math major. I've had a sales internship and enjoyed it- I like the idea of building a product/company.

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:00 pm

deadhipsters wrote: What other options are liberal arts majors considering?
Starbucks Barista?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Getting practical work experience in the area of your interest(s) would be ideal (e.g. English major working for a publisher), but if you can't find such jobs or don't exactly know what to pursue, doing a MA in something of interest is better than taking a random mindless job. It'll give you time to mature and maybe figure what you really want to do with your life, which might not be what you did in grad school, but at least you'll know.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:36 pm

PhD, although I am not a liberal artist.

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 pm

PhD or MAAA.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:39 pm

PhD

As tough as it is finding a legal job, it's nothing compared to finding a teaching job these days.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:43 pm

2 words....
Stickier Notes

deadhipsters

Bronze

Post by deadhipsters » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:03 am

I had considered getting a masters in accounting. A few schools have programs for people with unrelated BA's. Although I know very little about this route, other than it qualifies one to take the CPA exam- I think. Does anyone else know anything about this?

grunmn

New

Post by grunmn » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:04 am

Hmm...

Well journalism doesn't seem to be panning out. I may try and get into PR and see if I can find a suitable career interest there. I may get a MAT in Social Sciences and be a middle school teacher. May not make money, but it seems rewarding and I can live off $35-40K/ year and work 9 mo/year

A) Journalism/ PR career
B) Law School (haven't applied anywhere yet, 168 - could do better I suppose since my gpa was low 3.1 comparably to people here)

C) MAT/ MA in media perhaps (although a career in the media isn't exactly what I thought it'd be going into it)

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:30 am

You guys know you can make resumes, network, and apply for jobs, right? Like without even getting a graduate degree! Even ITE! It's the damnest thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:35 am

deadhipsters wrote:I had considered getting a masters in accounting. A few schools have programs for people with unrelated BA's. Although I know very little about this route, other than it qualifies one to take the CPA exam- I think. Does anyone else know anything about this?
right now (and historically) there has been a TON of accounting work. but I worry about that field's long-term prognosis due to outsourcing.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:38 am

Bumi wrote:You guys know you can make resumes, network, and apply for jobs, right? Like without even getting a graduate degree! Even ITE! It's the damnest thing.
points for the tar. but seriously, where exactly do you recommend all the english majors apply? starbucks? consultant work? trash removal?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:47 am

jayn3 wrote:
Bumi wrote:You guys know you can make resumes, network, and apply for jobs, right? Like without even getting a graduate degree! Even ITE! It's the damnest thing.
points for the tar. but seriously, where exactly do you recommend all the english majors apply? starbucks? consultant work? trash removal?
that's why I recommended the certificate. It's a lot easier to get a job at a company when you can put on your resume "UC Berkeley Extension, Certificate in Finance; 2010-2011" than with "BA, Art History; 2009". Many employers don't even know the difference between a certificate and a master's degree. And you can do it with night & online classes. Cost = ~$4,000.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:49 am

General Tso wrote:
jayn3 wrote: points for the tar. but seriously, where exactly do you recommend all the english majors apply? starbucks? consultant work? trash removal?
that's why I recommended the certificate. It's a lot easier to get a job at a company when you can put on your resume "UC Berkeley Extension, Certificate in Finance; 2010-2011" than with "BA, Art History; 2009". Many employers don't even know the difference between a certificate and a master's degree. And you can do it with night & online classes. Cost = ~$4,000.
i'd be convinced if career services hadn't drilled it into my head that masters are fairly worthless.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 am

Actually librarian science is a pretty good field to get into for a liberal arts major.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:54 am

jayn3 wrote:
I have known English majors to find entry level jobs in university administration, copywriting, sales, relationship management, and project management. My most successful friend has only a philosophy BA and now runs a division of a medium-sized private company. Others of my friends with liberal arts degrees have started their own businesses - make your own job! Most every large organization, no matter what they do, has a small army of people in cubicles doing all kinds of things you've never heard of, and getting paid to do it.

I'm not against graduate degrees, I'm just against the idea that liberal arts BA degrees are worthless.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:09 am

General Tso wrote:if you are inclined to go the business route, I'd get a certificate at a local university's extension in something like Finance or MIS. These are very affordable compared to the cost of a BBA or MBA (eg- UCLA, UCB extensions charge around $4000-5000 for a certificate).

Then I'd work for a few years in that sector. If after 4-5 years my career is not progressing, I'd consider an MBA (but try to get the employer to fund it...MBA tuition is skyrocketing).
Interesting. As a liberal arts major, how hard is it to get into these programs?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:28 am

Bumi wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
I have known English majors to find entry level jobs in university administration, copywriting, sales, relationship management, and project management. My most successful friend has only a philosophy BA and now runs a division of a medium-sized private company. Others of my friends with liberal arts degrees have started their own businesses - make your own job! Most every large organization, no matter what they do, has a small army of people in cubicles doing all kinds of things you've never heard of, and getting paid to do it.

I'm not against graduate degrees, I'm just against the idea that liberal arts BA degrees are worthless.
+1

There's a helluva gap between consulting and solid waste management, and people with BAs in humanities fill a pretty good chunk of it. I had nothing but a poli sci-type degree and landed a pretty reasonable job as an admin at a biglaw firm making $40k/starting. In my experience, it helped to pick an area to focus on and send out tons of resumes in that area. Craigslist and such are just too daunting otherwise (although that's in New York, and smaller cities probably aren't as overwhelming).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:53 am

lawschoollll wrote:
General Tso wrote:if you are inclined to go the business route, I'd get a certificate at a local university's extension in something like Finance or MIS. These are very affordable compared to the cost of a BBA or MBA (eg- UCLA, UCB extensions charge around $4000-5000 for a certificate).

Interesting. As a liberal arts major, how hard is it to get into these programs?
They are usually open enrollment. The work is challenging though, nearly on par with a full blown Master's program. Given the cost ($30,000+/year, usually) of Masters degrees in Finance, Accounting, etc., I'd be more inclined to take a shot with a certificate instead. Once you are entrenched in a particular field, then try to get a master's with corporate funding. If you get on with a large company, they often have tuition reimbursement as part of the benefits package. MBAs are too expensive these days (eg - UC Davis total tuition is 80k+ for the entire program, and it is an average MBA program at best!)

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:00 pm

General Tso wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:

They are usually open enrollment. The work is challenging though, nearly on par with a full blown Master's program. Given the cost ($30,000+/year, usually) of Masters degrees in Finance, Accounting, etc., I'd be more inclined to take a shot with a certificate instead. Once you are entrenched in a particular field, then try to get a master's with corporate funding. If you get on with a large company, they often have tuition reimbursement as part of the benefits package. MBAs are too expensive these days (eg - UC Davis total tuition is 80k+ for the entire program, and it is an average MBA program at best!)
Thanks for the info. How marketable do you think one is with a certificate like this? I mean, I don't exactly have connections in finance, and certainly don't have any WE in finance, so I'm just dubious that a certificate counts as a foot in the door. Although I guess if it's just 4K...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:02 pm

I'll PM my anecdotal experience with certificates

British

New

Post by British » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Not telling .... you might copy!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.