Thinking of deferring.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Thinking of deferring.

Postby Puppage » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Hey any advice on this issue would really help, I'll give you some background information:

I am from western Canada and I am enrolled at a law school on the eastern US seaboard. After being here I have realized that this is not the time or place for me to be completing three long, hard years of law school. I want to work and live in Canada, but I did not get into any of the Canadian law schools I applied to my first go around. If I go through with law school here, I will most likely become a disgruntled grad with nearly 200k in debt living in an area that I have no interest in being. I am going to request a deferral from the law school and take the year off to reapply to Canadian schools and US schools closer to home. I would be deferring as a safety option incase I do not get into any law schools in Canada or the western US. In essence, I am wondering if any of you have experience or knowledge about the deferral process? Does it look bad if I am "deferred" from my current law program and then apply to Canadian/other American law schools etc? I apologize for the sporadicalness of this post, I am just at a crossroads and any advice would be helpful.

Re: Thinking of deferring.

Postby thechee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:46 pm

I deferred, and one of the main terms of the deferral is that I cannot apply to any other schools while I'm deferred. If you apply to other schools, your deferral will probably, almost certainly, be revoked.

Stats/type of school you're deferring at?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”