Undergraduate Grade Deflation and Applying to Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sfreuden

Undergraduate Grade Deflation and Applying to Law School

Postby sfreuden » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:33 am

I am going into my junior year at Princeton, and I currently have a 3.44. However, we have a (quite unpopular) policy of grade deflation, and I was wondering if law schools will take that into account when I apply...

Also, I'm a biology major, and my GPA is mostly brought down by grades in my math and physics classes - will law schools take such things into account, or do they just look at the cumulative GPA?

Thanks in advance for the help. ^^

SullaFelix

Re: Undergraduate Grade Deflation and Applying to Law School

Postby SullaFelix » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:47 am

sfreuden wrote:I am going into my junior year at Princeton, and I currently have a 3.44. However, we have a (quite unpopular) policy of grade deflation, and I was wondering if law schools will take that into account when I apply...

Also, I'm a biology major, and my GPA is mostly brought down by grades in my math and physics classes - will law schools take such things into account, or do they just look at the cumulative GPA?

Thanks in advance for the help. ^^

Attending Princeton sounds like the only legitimate excuse for deflating grades (definitely more legit than taking "difficult" classes). These schools get a lot of Princeton applicants, so they're likely familiar with that phenomenon. However, the leeway this grants you will be limited — you will still likely have to be within a school's ranges to be considered.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 pm

You might get a little leeway, but you aren't getting YHS, and CCN will be impossible without a decent LSAT (172+), and even with it will be hard.
Last edited by 09042014 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfreuden

Postby sfreuden » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Ok, thanks for the response. ^^

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You might get a little leeway, but you aren't getting YHS, and CCN will be impossible without a decent LSAT (172+), and even with it will be hard.

On planet TLS, 172+ is "decent".

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You might get a little leeway, but you aren't getting YHS, and CCN will be impossible without a decent LSAT (172+), and even with it will be hard.

On a planet where engineers who weren't even required to take English classes in undergrad are scoring in the mid 170s, 172 is decent.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Hannibal wrote:

Well it is TopLawSchools, so the standard of what's "average" is decided by the standards for admission at the top law schools.

stratocophic wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

On a planet where engineers who weren't even required to take English classes in undergrad are scoring in the mid 170s, 172 is decent.

I haven't taken an English course in undergrad either. I don't really feel like it would make a difference.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:34 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Well it is TopLawSchools, so the standard of what's "average" is decided by the standards for admission at the top law schools.

stratocophic wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

I haven't taken an English course in undergrad either. I don't really feel like it would make a difference.
I don't disagree at all, I'm just saying we could have gone 4 years without reading a single anything, literally nothing, and are still doing this. 172 is decent. Practice makes perfect, kids.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:38 pm

stratocophic wrote:I don't disagree at all, I'm just saying we could have gone 4 years without reading a single anything, literally nothing, and are still doing this. 172 is decent. Practice makes perfect, kids.

You had to read the directions on your problem sets. :lol:

Anyway, I feel like you can develop the skills (reading comprehension, analytical reasoning, logical reasoning) needed to do well on the LSAT well before college, so yeah, for a fair number of people, what they do during college won't matter.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:43 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
stratocophic wrote:I don't disagree at all, I'm just saying we could have gone 4 years without reading a single anything, literally nothing, and are still doing this. 172 is decent. Practice makes perfect, kids.

Anyway, I feel like you can develop the skills (reading comprehension, analytical reasoning, logical reasoning) needed to do well on the LSAT well before college, so yeah, for a fair number of people, what they do during college won't matter.
pwned. Well played. Again, I don't disagree, but at least for me, it took a little while to get back in the habit of reading obscure BS at high speed due to the long layoff. I'm just saying everyone else should have an advantage in that regard. If we can do it, and if their lib arts degrees are truly worth anything, they should be able to do it. 172 is a little harsh, but there should be no reason that a native English speaker of reasonable intelligence can't score mid-160s without an excessive amount of practice.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 pm

stratocophic wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

pwned. Well played. Again, I don't disagree, but at least for me, it took a little while to get back in the habit of reading obscure BS at high speed due to the long layoff. I'm just saying everyone else should have an advantage in that regard. If we can do it, and if their lib arts degrees are truly worth anything, they should be able to do it. 172 is a little harsh, but there should be no reason that a native English speaker of reasonable intelligence can't score mid-160s without an excessive amount of practice.

I don't disagree with you either. You just set me up nicely there. I'm not an engineering major, so I've actually got a "liberal arts degree" (anything that is not technical, professional, or vocational is liberal arts, including hard sciences). Some people just have a difficult time with logic. I used to think the same way, until I saw individuals that I think are pretty bright struggle in a basic CS course I had taken. I'll agree if we switch that to "no reason that a native English speaker of reasonable logic and analytical skills can't score mid-160s". If you equate intelligence with logic and analytical skills, though, then I suppose it's still the same sentence.

@OP: They might look at what you're taking, but it's difficult to predict to what degree, and past experience has shown that it often doesn't help very much. So go into the cycle pretending that they don't look at all, and then be pleasantly surprised if it makes a difference.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:54 pm

stratocophic wrote:
I don't disagree at all, I'm just saying we could have gone 4 years without reading a single anything, literally nothing, and are still doing this. 172 is decent. Practice makes perfect, kids.[/quote]

The only book I've read in the past 3 years had pictures. I got 1 wrong on RC. 172 is decent.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
I don't disagree at all, I'm just saying we could have gone 4 years without reading a single anything, literally nothing, and are still doing this. 172 is decent. Practice makes perfect, kids.

The only book I've read in the past 3 years had pictures. I got 1 wrong on RC. 172 is decent.[/quote]I can't make the same claim, but somehow I knew you'd verify my position :lol: And there you have it, folks.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Engineers: bridge-building, quote-failing.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 pm

TBF the book had 200 pages of real words.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:17 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Hey, we had to take two semesters of English (or a reading & composition equivalent)!

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 pm

I got an A in Business Writing and a decent school for undergrad business programs. That should shock and appall you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”