LOR from language prof??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inthefuture

LOR from language prof??

Postby inthefuture » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:18 am

so I just received an email response from my language professor saying that although he will be happy to write a LOR for me, he believes that LORs for law school should be from professors of other courses that focus more on research, anaylsis, so on and so forth.

now I know this professor will write a great LOR, however he does have a point. any suggestions?

goober88

Re: LOR from language prof??

Postby goober88 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:29 am

Two of my recommendations came from language professors and I think they really helped, but I had majored in the language they taught and had them both for multiple semesters over the course of undergrad. I think a strong academic recommendation is a strong academic recommendation- it's not like there is a pre-law class to give you a recommendation. People all just have different people to recommend them because they have different backgrounds, so I think as long as it is a strong recommendation, it can only help.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:49 am

inthefuture wrote:so I just received an email response from my language professor saying that although he will be happy to write a LOR for me, he believes that LORs for law school should be from professors of other courses that focus more on research, anaylsis, so on and so forth.

now I know this professor will write a great LOR, however he does have a point. any suggestions?

2 of my LORs were from language professors. I believe they helped paint a better and comprehensive picture of who I was.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:11 am

It should be fine, you just have to find a polite way of telling him that his LOR will be fine (without saying "YOU'RE WRONG.")

I came across a somewhat similar situation; I was asking an econ professor (he had his Ph.D but was an adjunct professor) for a letter of recommendation, and he swore up and down that law schools would frown upon his letter because he wasn't a tenured prof. He was convinced his letter would be meaningless. I had other recommenders to ask, so I just gave up on it, but sometimes you just have to politely dispel the misconceptions a professor might have (in a reassuring, "it'll be fine!" way.)

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:47 pm

One of my LOR came from a language professor. I am sure it was a good letter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”