Advice needed - applying/credentials

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msusha15

Advice needed - applying/credentials

Postby msusha15 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:33 pm

I have just recently graduated undergrad in Microbiology with a minor in Chemistry, and I am about to begin a masters program in pharmacology. Although this sounds completely unrelated from the whole idea of this forum, I have recently begun to gain an interest in maybe pursuing law school. I may decide to try to go to law school after I finish my masters, and then hopefully be able to tie in my science background with a law degree. So I have some questions that arise from all of this if anyone could help:

1. How will my educational background affect me during the law school admissions process? And how important is it to gain 1st hand law experience before applying?
2. Will I be a more desirable candidate for certain jobs in law after I graduate because of my educational background?
3. Is this a stupid idea?

Thanks, and any info is appreciated.

romothesavior

Re: Advice needed - applying/credentials

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:39 pm

msusha15 wrote:Although this sounds completely unrelated from the whole idea of this forum, I have recently begun to gain an interest in maybe pursuing law school.

Before going any further, you need to figure this out. Unless that maybe turns into an emphatic "yes," then I'd avoid law school. Only go if you want to go. It is a waste of time, money, and the degrees you currently have if you aren't sold on it.

1. How will my educational background affect me during the law school admissions process? And how important is it to gain 1st hand law experience before applying?

It is unlikely to matter too much, but it may help. Being unique is usually a good thing for law school admissions. And first hand legal work is not a pre-req at all.

2. Will I be a more desirable candidate for certain jobs in law after I graduate because of my educational background?

It is possible, depending on what area of law you pursue.

3. Is this a stupid idea?

If you don't want to be a lawyer, then yes.

msusha15

Postby msusha15 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Ok cool, appreciate the honesty...I plan on trying to learn as much about it as possible while I'm doing the masters program, so hopefully I'll be able to give an emphatic yes or no before I decide

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:51 pm

msusha15 wrote:Ok cool, appreciate the honesty...I plan on trying to learn as much about it as possible while I'm doing the masters program, so hopefully I'll be able to give an emphatic yes or no before I decide

Good strategy.

Just some more info: Legal hiring is hurting right now. Yes, things are starting to look up, but we are still a long way from being out of the woods. Law school (even in a booming economy) is really only worth it if you go to a top tier school or have a legitimate reason for going to a lower ranked school (like a full-ride or a job lined up after graduation). Really anything outside of the top-10 or so is a big gamble if you aren't getting scholarship money. It sounds like you have a pretty good pedigree and I'd imagine a good job may be out there for the taking, so only go to law school if you really want to be a lawyer and you can get into a good school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”