Transcripts for Applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawyerwannabe

Transcripts for Applications

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 pm

If you took a summer class at a local UG institution that was not the institution that you received your degree from and then transferred the credits from this class to your degree granting institution, do you still need to obtain a transcript from the local UG institution?

Thanks.

r6_philly

Re: Transcripts for Applications

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:29 pm

Yes, you need transcripts from all post secondary institutions. As long as you enrolled you have to send it, even if you don't earn any credits.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks for the timely response.

So, I send the request form from LSAC.org to both UG institutions and tell them to send the transcripts along with the form with my signature on it back to LSAC?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 pm

That's right. LSAC won't calculate transfer credits on your UG insitution transcript because it comes in with no grade. So they get your grade from where you took the class.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks again. Last question. What about AP credit from HS that appears on my UG transcript. How is that handled?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:04 pm

I know they are counted, I am not exactly sure how they get the transcript for them. If you go to LSAC and download the PDF information book it tells you how they handle them in the transcript section.

http://www.lsac.org/pdfs/InformationBookweb.pdf

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:09 pm

My understanding of the policy is that, as long as your undergrad institution doesn't assign grades to AP scores or credits gained through AP scores, they should be included as credits on the academic summary report generated by LSAC but the grades received in those classes should not be factored into your GPA.

http://www.lsac.org/Policies/transcript-summarization.asp wrote:Advanced Placement (AP) or College Level Examination Programs (CLEP)
AP or CLEP courses are summarized and included in the GPA if the undergraduate school transcript shows grades and credits for them. (See “Unconverted Credits” for transcripts showing credits but no grades.)

Unconverted Credits
Although passing grades for courses with only one or two passing grades are not converted to the 4.0 scale, credit is given for them in the Credential Assembly Service summary (see “Grades Excluded From Conversion,” for examples). These courses, and any course for which the transcript shows credit but no grade, appear in the Unconverted Credit Hours section of the law school report.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:10 pm

So, if they are listed as credit but are given a "P" for passing on my transcript, they will most likely be unconverted credits? That is a relief.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:Yes, you need transcripts from all post secondary institutions. As long as you enrolled you have to send it, even if you don't earn any credits.

Wait, really? I "enrolled" in a community college because I wasn't sure if I wanted to take a class before the deadline would pass, decided against it, and didn't even register for anything. Necessary to send that in...it'd be blank.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:24 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:So, if they are listed as credit but are given a "P" for passing on my transcript, they will most likely be unconverted credits? That is a relief.

Should be, but make sure you double check once your transcripts are in. They messed up my AP credits at first and marked it as an F. It was easily fixed with a phone call, but I had to catch the mistake first.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:09 pm

I called LSAC and they said they could not tell me definitively whether the credit my UG gave me for my AP credit would be used in my LSDAS GPA.

Has anyone had AP credit from HS show up on their UG transcript with a "P" grade and just credit given. If so, did this get factored into your GPA? I do not understand how AP credit could even be remotely considered for my GPA considering it was a HS class that I did not take directly through any university.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:17 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I called LSAC and they said they could not tell me definitively whether the credit my UG gave me for my AP credit would be used in my LSDAS GPA.

Has anyone had AP credit from HS show up on their UG transcript with a "P" grade and just credit given. If so, did this get factored into your GPA? I do not understand how AP credit could even be remotely considered for my GPA considering it was a HS class that I did not take directly through any university.

I didn't get a GPA...I just got "unassigned credit" and therefore had a boatload of credits listed for my freshman year (way more than possible). Didn't count into my GPA.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:22 pm

On your UG transcript, does it say something like ADVANCED PLACEMENT CREDITS [# of credits] then P for passing?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:31 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:On your UG transcript, does it say something like ADVANCED PLACEMENT CREDITS [# of credits] then P for passing?

Just a T for transfer...no credit though. We only use APs for placement, though, no credit allowed unless we're trying to do a special program to graduate early.

On my LSAC report, though, they gave me credit anyway for some odd reason. For my freshman year they gave me 40 "unconverted hours"...only 4 were from my actual fresman year. So I got 36 credit hours(9 APs) for my report...not sure how they got it since only 4 are on my UG transcript.

ETA: Some schools actually give grades for AP scores, so that's how it would be counted in I think. Most schools won't do that though since AP exams are silly and often less rigorous than their college-level counterparts.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:42 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Yes, you need transcripts from all post secondary institutions. As long as you enrolled you have to send it, even if you don't earn any credits.

Wait, really? I "enrolled" in a community college because I wasn't sure if I wanted to take a class before the deadline would pass, decided against it, and didn't even register for anything. Necessary to send that in...it'd be blank.

I thought you have to register for a class to have officially enrolled? Otherwise you are just "accepted". If you register for a class then drop it without taking anything, I would bet you have to send transcript because it would show you add then drop, even if it is before the start of a semester.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Just talked to a person at my school:

The AP classes show up on my transcript with the number I received on them but are not converted to a letter grade.

Pretty sure this means they do not count! :D

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

I thought you have to register for a class to have officially enrolled? Otherwise you are just "accepted". If you register for a class then drop it without taking anything, I would bet you have to send transcript because it would show you add then drop, even if it is before the start of a semester.

Ah, in that case, I'm just "accepted". Didn't register, didn't drop. Won't send anything. Gracias.

ChallengeAccepted

Postby ChallengeAccepted » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:30 pm

does anyone know why LSAC requires transcripts for classes taken at a community college during hs for hs credit? the concept is just kind of bizarre to me.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:37 pm

ChallengeAccepted wrote:does anyone know why LSAC requires transcripts for classes taken at a community college during hs for hs credit? the concept is just kind of bizarre to me.

Yeah, I couldn't even remember what year I took it. I think they need it from that community college so that it's "official" and they can calculate it into your LSAC GPA.

ChallengeAccepted

Postby ChallengeAccepted » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:39 pm

ly2010 wrote:
ChallengeAccepted wrote:does anyone know why LSAC requires transcripts for classes taken at a community college during hs for hs credit? the concept is just kind of bizarre to me.

Yeah, I couldn't even remember what year I took it. I think they need it from that community college so that it's "official" and they can calculate it into your LSAC GPA.

that's what's confusing me though... why does it count to your lsac gpa if it counted as a high school class?

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Because it can count towards dual-credit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”