Freshman year grades

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kurt Cobain

Freshman year grades

Postby Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:54 am

Do any law schools discount freshman year grades? When I was applying to UG, I remember reading that UCs and some other schools discounted freshman year grades entirely. I realize that law school applications obviously differ from UG applications, does anyone know of schools that don't count freshman year grades?

Re: Freshman year grades

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 am

Kurt Cobain wrote:Do any law schools discount freshman year grades?

Nope, they throw them out : )

They understand it took you a while to adjust and are really just looking to see that you have matured since you started college - good luck man : )

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 am

In case you didn't catch disco's sarcasm:

ALL grades are counted. If you think your LSAC GPA is gonna be shit you might wanna stock up on some easy A classes before you graduate.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:00 am

merichard87 wrote:In case you didn't catch disco's sarcasm:

ALL grades are counted. If you think your LSAC GPA is gonna be shit you might wanna stock up on some easy A classes before you graduate.

Yeah I figured. thanks. So the only thing law schools see is the academic summary report I can see on LSAC?

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:08 am

Canadian law schools don't count freshman year grades.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:13 am

Kurt Cobain wrote:

Yeah I figured. thanks. So the only thing law schools see is the academic summary report I can see on LSAC?

Yes, that's all they really care about. Addendums for legitimate troubles popping up in life and having an effect on your grades are considered but "partying too much" and "I was the president of my frat and was super busy helping us not get kicked off campus because we got caught with the date-rape drug" aren't the type of shit they care about.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

Yes, that's all they really care about. Addendums for legitimate troubles popping up in life and having an effect on your grades are considered but "partying too much" and "I was the president of my frat and was super busy helping us not get kicked off campus because we got caught with the date-rape drug" aren't the type of shit they care about.

So they don't see a copy of your actual transcript with the classes you've taken, etc.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:28 am

I don't believe they do. But I can't be certain.

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:29 am

billyez wrote:I don't believe they do. But I can't be certain.

They definitely do see your transcript. I forget where it's noted, but they absolutely get your summary + a copy of your actual transcript.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:34 am

disco_barred wrote:
billyez wrote:I don't believe they do. But I can't be certain.

They definitely do see your transcript. I forget where it's noted, but they absolutely get your summary + a copy of your actual transcript.

Yep, this time disco isn't being sarcastic. They do get a copy of your actual transcript along with the academic summary report.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:40 am

ok great thanks for the info :D

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:48 am

Kurt Cobain wrote:Do any law schools discount freshman year grades? When I was applying to UG, I remember reading that UCs and some other schools discounted freshman year grades entirely. I realize that law school applications obviously differ from UG applications, does anyone know of schools that don't count freshman year grades?

No. That would be because they're grades.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:30 pm

Haribo wrote:Canadian law schools don't count freshman year grades.

Fixed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”