High school stuff on law school resume?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:46 pm

I've read various threads on this topic, and they provide widely varied advice. It would be great if someone has personal experience with this to share.

When should be you put high school achievements on the law school app? I don't mean president of the Tuba Club or whatever, but like valedictorian of a large class or national level scholarships.

Thoughts?

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 pm

The general rule with resumes is to put it on if it won't bump anything more important off.

So if the space on your 1 page is best spent devoting 2 lines to high school rather than devoting an extra two lines to college or recent work experience, go for it.

That said, I have a hard time believing that anything you did in high school is more important than more recent stuff. I can't possibly think an adcom would get more from knowing you were the valedictorian of your high school class than he/she would from knowing more about your recent work experience. Obviously I don't know your specific situation, but my inclination would be to leave it off.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Only thing I would ever put from high school on a resume would be being a Siemens-Intel Finalist or like Olympics winner of something...but I didn't do that, so no...

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby cinefile 17 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:54 pm

Don't do it. It looks so tacky. I lol every time I see high school stuff on a resume.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Wait, what? There's actually mixed advice on this? I have ALWAYS heard that when you get to college, high school stuff goes out the window. Law school is a graduate degree program; you want to be sure you come across as a mature applicant, not someone who's still dwelling on high school accomplishments. Seriously, nothing from high school needs to be on your resume.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby jdhopeful11 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:02 am

Does that mean that I can't include that I won the Wordmaster award my freshman year??

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:04 am

jdhopeful11 wrote:Does that mean that I can't include that I won the Wordmaster award my freshman year??


No, you should include it. Devote 8-10 lines of your resume to it and call it a day.

eberryhill7
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby eberryhill7 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:16 am

How about the First Degree Black Belt that I earned during my senior year of High School?

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby billyez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:42 am

No.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:04 am

eskimo wrote:Wait, what? There's actually mixed advice on this? I have ALWAYS heard that when you get to college, high school stuff goes out the window. Law school is a graduate degree program; you want to be sure you come across as a mature applicant, not someone who's still dwelling on high school accomplishments. Seriously, nothing from high school needs to be on your resume.


Unless it's like an Olympic Gold Medal. I think that might be the exception.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:22 am

acrossthelake wrote:
eskimo wrote:Wait, what? There's actually mixed advice on this? I have ALWAYS heard that when you get to college, high school stuff goes out the window. Law school is a graduate degree program; you want to be sure you come across as a mature applicant, not someone who's still dwelling on high school accomplishments. Seriously, nothing from high school needs to be on your resume.


Unless it's like an Olympic Gold Medal. I think that might be the exception.

I wouldn't even consider that a high school accomplishment. He's clearly talking about things like high school valedictorian, not winning an Olympic gold. But you're right, something that insanely awesome would be something to keep on a resume.

User avatar
biggamejames
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby biggamejames » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Thoughts?

No. It makes you sound like one of those pathetic guys who constantly reminisce about being on their high school football team.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby merichard87 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:40 am

eberryhill7 wrote:How about the First Degree Black Belt that I earned during my senior year of High School?


I'll assume you're serious and actually answer. IMO this is an accomplishment no matter when you did it. I wouldnt necessarily put dates but I would put it under hobbies or something.

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby lawschoolftw » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:38 am

merichard87 wrote:
eberryhill7 wrote:How about the First Degree Black Belt that I earned during my senior year of High School?


I'll assume you're serious and actually answer. IMO this is an accomplishment no matter when you did it. I wouldnt necessarily put dates but I would put it under hobbies or something.


+1 i left highschool accomplishments off, but did include the fact that I received my black belt. I even put the date. I agree this isn't really a "highschool" accomplishment." Especially if you're still active with the Martial Arts (as I am) I think this is very relevant. Date, no date it doesn't matter. It will probably have little to no affect on your application anyway.

cojsterling
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby cojsterling » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:44 am

How about being a volunteer firefighter fully certified from your junior year of highschool to the 2nd semester of college?

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby lawschoolftw » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:45 am

....

pineappledazzler
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby pineappledazzler » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:47 pm

What about high school GPA, SAT, AP scores IF and ONLY IF your college does not give out grades? I am an international applicant who went to HS in the United States and is a US resident/citizen etc. but am doing my undergrad abroad. We don't have any grades so under college academics I only have my LSAT score because our degree is based on final exams I will take after I've already gotten in to (or not gotten in to) my law schools. My resume also looks sort of short without the HS GPA/test scores. But mostly to show what my record at a US school was like. Thoughts on this?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby Dany » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:15 pm

I'd ask the law schools you're applying to.

shiroii
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:59 am

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby shiroii » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:40 pm

what about internship/ job at law offices?

User avatar
Mick Haller
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:11 pm

why stop at high school? you should include your green ribbon from 5th grade potato bag race while you are at it. no callbacks unless your resume is at least 8.5 pages long.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:18 pm

This thread is now about things we did in high school.

I was the backup center on my high school football team. And snapped the field goals and punts.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby soj » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:47 pm

shiroii wrote:what about internship/ job at law offices?

lol. law schools barely care about internships and jobs at law offices during or after UG, let alone before UG.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby Emma. » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 pm

eberryhill7 wrote:How about the First Degree Black Belt that I earned during my senior year of High School?


This surely goes in your interests section or something, but it is a different scenario since it is not a high-school specific activity.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:58 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:This thread is now about things we did in high school.

I was the backup center on my high school football team. And snapped the field goals and punts.

I was on debate team. I was also in a couple plays. My performance in all of this could be accurately described as "adequate".

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: High school stuff on law school resume?

Postby Icculus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:02 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I was on debate team. I was also in a couple plays. My performance in all of this could be accurately described as "adequate".

One time I finger banged a girl at a freshman dance...I was also captain of the debate team. Suck it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], bleakchimera2, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests