How to tell experimental section of LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
testmachine45

How to tell experimental section of LSAT

Postby testmachine45 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:34 pm

How can I tell the experimental section on an LSAT so I don't waste time on it?

Jack Smirks

Re: How to tell experimental section of LSAT

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:36 pm

You just have to pick a section randomly and not do it, chances are you will be right.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:38 pm

If you see two logic games sections, then you know that the reading comp is experimental. Use the time to rest your eyes.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:39 pm

NEVER guess. In fact, pretend there isn't an experimental section and keep working as though each section will factor into your score.

i would study and do practice exams with all 5 sections in them to get used to the endurance factor of the test. just grab a section from older pratice lsat's in the 90s and make a copy of a section at random and insert it into the one that you are grading.

and dont try and take a peak either when you're not supposed to. despite it being grossly unethical if the proctor notices that you're looking ahead they can take your exam and write a note on your file. that's the last thing you want to do/need.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 pm

testmachine45 wrote:How can I tell the experimental section on an LSAT so I don't waste time on it?

You can't tell until after you've already done it. It's one of the first 3...but you won't be able to tell which one until you get to the 4th or 5th. For example, LG was my experimental and it was in one of my first 3...I figured it out when I got to the 4th/5th and had another LG.

servinDizzert

Postby servinDizzert » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 pm

Well there is a way...

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:47 pm

It'll say experimental on the front.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:49 pm

What I usually do is spend the first 5-10 minutes of the section previewing the questions. I read them very closely because if it's the experimental section I definitely do NOT want to waste time doing it. By previewing all the questions first I give myself a huge advantage over all the other idiots ACTUALLY DOING THE EXPERIMENTAL SECTION. SUCKERS!!!!!

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:10 am

acrossthelake wrote:
testmachine45 wrote:How can I tell the experimental section on an LSAT so I don't waste time on it?

You can't tell until after you've already done it. It's one of the first 3...but you won't be able to tell which one until you get to the 4th or 5th. For example, LG was my experimental and it was in one of my first 3...I figured it out when I got to the 4th/5th and had another LG.

This... You can figure out which one it is before scores come out/test is released since it has to be one of the first 3, but you can't know until after you've done it.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:57 am

You can tell. I've been able to guess which one was experimental before...but even after I did, I still worked on it. Once you do enough practice tests, you get a feel for the kinds of questions that are asked. Some of the ones asked on the experimentals just...feel odd or out of place. It's hard to describe.

It doesn't really matter anyway. It's not like you can spend that time working on another section (without taking the chance of screwing yourself out of the exam, anyway).

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:00 am

There is actually one surefire way to tell if a section is experimental before you walk out of the test, however, you won't know during that section. If the test is a 101 question test and one section will put the number of questions over 101, then that is the experimental section. Of course, you won't know until you have completed all the scored sections.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:07 am

Flip through the book with your neighbor, not everyone gets the same experimental. So you can figure it out by seeing which sections don't repeat on your tests. You will need a third partner in the mix to create a diversion. Someone who can cry or puke on demand is ideal. Obviously it's vital to prep this, this has to go flawless on test day.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:33 am

D. H2Oman wrote:Flip through the book with your neighbor, not everyone gets the same experimental. So you can figure it out by seeing which sections don't repeat on your tests. You will need a third partner in the mix to create a diversion. Someone who can cry or puke on demand is ideal. Obviously it's vital to prep this, this has to go flawless on test day.

I think TITCR. :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”