Is a GPA addendum warranted?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jtemp320

Re: Is a GPA addendum warranted?

Postby jtemp320 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:59 pm

I agree with a lot of what has been said here:

1. Middle east import business/whatever is better then online hookah sales - yes people of my generation know hookahs are usually used exclusively for tobacco (though of course not necessarily) and are not bongs, but I was surprised to learn - my parents didnt realize that

2. Probably better used in a PS in a positive way then in an addendum and schools will note the upward grade trend

3. If you ran the business because you had to for survival for some reason (hardship, needed the money) then make sure you say so - otherwise it could sound like you sacrificed academics to make some extra $

4. If you are applying to Gtown's part time program remember that they expect many/most of those they accept to be working and in be in law school - be careful of using work to justify poor grades as they may wonder how you'll do at law school PT

Good luck!

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:25 pm

I'll be writing an addendum myself, but when you look at it, it's pretty difficult for adcoms to put too much weight in one. To start, without a background check, they have no way of (actually) knowing whether or not anything you say is true. This is also an issue with softs. Sure, they can assume (or hope for) a degree of honesty. And if it got down to the wire, they could pursue information to confirm an illness or whatever. But given the volume of applications, how plausible is it for them to weed through to investigate the truth between "was seriously ill during finals" and "i got f*cking hammered the night before"?

In the end, it's simply not fair to the people who were able to maintain high GPA's throughout undergrad. Personally, I think my circumstances provide a legitimate explanation, but I still acknowledge it can only go so far. And unless you were hospitalized for an extended period during a semester, suffered a (serious) injury, or had a death of an (immediate) family member within a couple weeks of finals, you'd be best served to avoid an addendum. If anything, writing a quick 1-2 paragraphs taking full responsibility would seem to be the best route for someone looking to at the very least make a positive impression.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:33 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:I'll be writing an addendum myself, but when you look at it, it's pretty difficult for adcoms to put too much weight in one. To start, without a background check, they have no way of (actually) knowing whether or not anything you say is true. This is also an issue with softs. Sure, they can assume (or hope for) a degree of honesty. And if it got down to the wire, they could pursue information to confirm an illness or whatever. But given the volume of applications, how plausible is it for them to weed through to investigate the truth between "was seriously ill during finals" and "i got f*cking hammered the night before"?

In the end, it's simply not fair to the people who were able to maintain high GPA's throughout undergrad. Personally, I think my circumstances provide a legitimate explanation, but I still acknowledge it can only go so far. And unless you were hospitalized for an extended period during a semester, suffered a (serious) injury, or had a death of an (immediate) family member within a couple weeks of finals, you'd be best served to avoid an addendum. If anything, writing a quick 1-2 paragraphs taking full responsibility would seem to be the best route for someone looking to at the very least make a positive impression.

I don't know what you're talking about. A bodily injury can keep you out of school just as bad, if not less so, than financial injury.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:34 pm

jtemp320 wrote:I agree with a lot of what has been said here:

4. If you are applying to Gtown's part time program remember that they expect many/most of those they accept to be working and in be in law school - be careful of using work to justify poor grades as they may wonder how you'll do at law school PT

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I don't plan on working during law school. Is that relevant enough to mention?

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:54 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
lebroniousjames wrote:I'll be writing an addendum myself, but when you look at it, it's pretty difficult for adcoms to put too much weight in one. To start, without a background check, they have no way of (actually) knowing whether or not anything you say is true. This is also an issue with softs. Sure, they can assume (or hope for) a degree of honesty. And if it got down to the wire, they could pursue information to confirm an illness or whatever. But given the volume of applications, how plausible is it for them to weed through to investigate the truth between "was seriously ill during finals" and "i got f*cking hammered the night before"?

I don't know what you're talking about. A bodily injury can keep you out of school just as bad, if not less so, than financial injury.

You (typically) have more self-determination over getting into financial trouble than you do getting seriously injured/ill. Additionally, if you are in the in bed at the hospital, you feasibly have much less control/capability of completing your work than if you are worried about debt. I guess you could say that you got yourself in deep with the mob, therefore making your debt life threatening. But in general, I don't think financial "injury" is quite on the same level. Not much wrong, I guess, with throwing in something short about how you worked full-time to pay your way through--but it was still an obstacle of your choosing (could have taken out loans, rough but true).

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:57 pm

I'm including evidence of my addendum, medical records/ dr's note revealing treatment times, etc.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:08 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I don't plan on working during law school. Is that relevant enough to mention?

From my perspective, financial injury in most cases is something more than likely you'll see coming from a month or more away; unless it's combined with bodily injury, which is usually instantaneous save for the instance where a mobster breaks your legs for not paying "loans".

Not taking action within that time to get a 'Incomplete' or withdraw grade is your fault and if anything writing excuses for it isn't going to do you any good.

If you're referring to financial injury as owning a business and not being able to put full focus into school, then I'd wager that the schools would think you didn't prioritize correctly if your intention was to go to law school.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:15 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

You (typically) have more self-determination over getting into financial trouble than you do getting seriously injured/ill. Additionally, if you are in the in bed at the hospital, you feasibly have much less control/capability of completing your work than if you are worried about debt. I guess you could say that you got yourself in deep with the mob, therefore making your debt life threatening. But in general, I don't think financial "injury" is quite on the same level. Not much wrong, I guess, with throwing in something short about how you worked full-time to pay your way through--but it was still an obstacle of your choosing (could have taken out loans, rough but true).

You're erroneous on all accounts. Please stop with the irrelevant hypotheticals too. Someone who is born into poverty as a first generation child never had "control" of their financial situation, especially if both parents don't have any education. If you're in bed at a hospitality, it is the school's policy to let you catch up after you are healed. The same can't be said about financial injury - you simply get left behind.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:19 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

Good luck!

From my perspective, financial injury in most cases is something more than likely you'll see coming from a month or more away; unless it's combined with bodily injury, which is usually instantaneous save for the instance where a mobster breaks your legs for not paying "loans".

Not taking action within that time to get a 'Incomplete' or withdraw grade is your fault and if anything writing excuses for it isn't going to do you any good.

If you're referring to financial injury as owning a business and not being able to put full focus into school, then I'd wager that the schools would think you didn't prioritize correctly if your intention was to go to law school.

My justification for the business, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, is that my parents could not afford the financial burden of me going to college. I will be applying with an LSAC approved need based fee waiver as well, so put it in yo ass.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:21 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

Good luck!

My justification for the business, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, is that my parents could not afford the financial burden of me going to college. I will be applying with an LSAC approved need based fee waiver as well, so put it in yo ass.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:23 pm

I agree with you both kind of. I funded my undergrad alone, but I did have help with a tuition scholarship and I also have a good credit score which allowed for me to take out extra private loans. I worked part time, like a normal student, to make payments. It was totally doable (prior to my diagnosis and surgeries) but it could be hard if someone doesn't qualify for loans, I guess.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:24 pm

^(pear) I'm not referring to any of that. Your points have been heard, but none are applicable. Thank you, come again.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:26 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:^(pear) I'm not referring to any of that. Your points have been heard, but none are applicable. Thank you, come again.

Sounds pretty applicable to me.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Barbie wrote:I agree with you both kind of. I funded my undergrad alone, but I did have help with a tuition scholarship and I also have a good credit score which allowed for me to take out extra private loans. I worked part time, like a normal student, to make payments. It was totally doable (prior to my diagnosis and surgeries) but it could be hard if someone doesn't qualify for loans, I guess.

I mean I took out loans and received grants as well, but it was not enough to cover all of my expenses, especially while paying for housing. I went to a state school also keep in mind.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:29 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
Barbie wrote:I agree with you both kind of. I funded my undergrad alone, but I did have help with a tuition scholarship and I also have a good credit score which allowed for me to take out extra private loans. I worked part time, like a normal student, to make payments. It was totally doable (prior to my diagnosis and surgeries) but it could be hard if someone doesn't qualify for loans, I guess.

I mean I took out loans and received grants as well, but it was not enough to cover all of my expenses, especially while paying for housing. I went to a state school also keep in mind.

It prob also depends on COL. I live in Tampa, but have found extremely reasonable housing (900/mo for 3BR with my bf for past 3 years) and between working 2-3 days a week (serving/bartending=100$ per shift at least) it was easy for me to pay everything off. Loans + Schollys/Grants + Work + Budget = for most people, maybe not you in particular, will suffice for a public school UG education, IMO.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:32 pm

Barbie wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

It prob also depends on COL. I live in Tampa, but have found extremely reasonable housing (900/mo for 3BR with my bf for past 3 years) and between working 2-3 days a week (serving/bartending=100$ per shift at least) it was easy for me to pay everything off. Loans + Schollys/Grants + Work + Budget = for most people, maybe not you in particular, will suffice for a public school UG education, IMO.

Well my business got so big in the 2 year span that I did not see it coming. If the business never grew, then I see your point, but it was slowly taking over more of my life.

After I closed it, and moved back home, I found a part time job locally which I balanced very well.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Whether or not you attend an Ivy doesn't really matter, tbh. Ivies just delude themselves into thinking it matters.

The colleges that you apply to will be looking at your transcript, and if there is an upward trend, it will be evident. There's no reason to write an addendum. I agree with the poster that said that GPA addenda are really intended to be for students that had to deal with significant adverse circumstances that would not otherwise be reflected by the transcript.

I suppose it couldn't hurt you, but I wouldn't stress out about it. I highly doubt it will matter. Focus on the LSAT, and let the rest come to you. A rocking LSAT score is the difference between GTown, a top 30, or the TTT. Without it any addendum you could write won't be worth the paper it's written on.

I would certainly mention the business experience in my personal statement, though. You might even throw in a line about how time consuming it was.

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:15 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
lebroniousjames wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

You're erroneous on all accounts. Please stop with the irrelevant hypotheticals too. Someone who is born into poverty as a first generation child never had "control" of their financial situation, especially if both parents don't have any education. If you're in bed at a hospitality, it is the school's policy to let you catch up after you are healed. The same can't be said about financial injury - you simply get left behind.

lol, I thought it would be clear that I wasn't presenting the mobster hypothetical with any seriousness. so wait, I'm assuming that the situation you outline above is of your own--or is that just another hypothetical being used for the sake of argument? If you are in fact a first generation "child" (college student...?) who was born into poverty, then I think you have more of a point about self-determination. But if you simply had a business shortfall, I don't think we are really talking about the same thing.

Also, I've never seen a school have a policy that says if you are in bed at a motel, then you can have a get out of jail free card. Stop watching Wedding Crashers and work on your diction.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:25 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:
lebroniousjames wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

Also, I've never seen a school have a policy that says if you are in bed at a motel, then you can have a get out of jail free card. Stop watching Wedding Crashers and work on your diction.

What are you talking about? I'll admit I'm not reading into this thread as much as you may be because I'm juggling multiple things at the moment, but you and I aren't even on the same planet. Thank you for your opinion, let's agree to disagree.

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:27 pm

"erroneous on all accounts"---Wedding Crashers reference

"if you are in bed at a hospitality"----motel reference

and sounds good

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:37 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:"erroneous on all accounts"---Wedding Crashers reference

and sounds good

How are you even going to dispute the hospital thing? I don't know one school that would reject a note from a doctor or hospital saying you were too ill to attend class. Why would you even bother trying to make that argument??

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:49 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
lebroniousjames wrote:"erroneous on all accounts"---Wedding Crashers reference

and sounds good

How are you even going to dispute the hospital thing? I don't know one school that would reject a note from a doctor or hospital saying you were too ill to attend class. Why would you even bother trying to make that argument??

That totally depends on several factors.

If you got run over by a bus and your current grade in class is a D/F -- the school is just going to fail you. If you have decent grades, most schools just speak with the prof. to mark you Incomplete until the next term you're available to take the class.

The same goes with 'Financial Hardship' AFAIK.

His logic is pretty solid.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:10 pm

i dont see how owning a business can be defined as a financial hardship. the only way it could become a financial hardship is if it went bankrupt, and you financed your business interests against your personal credit line, and had little collateral. But you talked about its success, so that wouldnt apply to you. As a small business owner myself, owning a business allows you the ability to control and manage its growth, so it doesnt get too big too fast. A lot of that has to do with resource management, havining the right people working for you, time management and a solid business plan that has options and strategies to handle unexpected results ( both good and bad) Owning a business is a big time consumer, and sometimes difficult decisions must be made in order for the best interests of the business and you to be kept. It sounds as though your business had the "fortune" to grow unexpectly while you were in college, which was the most inopportune time for you to foster its growth. You tried to manage it, but realized you cannot balance school, your business interests, and your personal life ( which is an incrediblky hard thing, no knock on you).

I would NOT write an addedum for your gpa. Instead, i would use owning a business as a good theme for a personal statement. Its definately something to be proud of ( owning a successful business) and is a testiment to your abilities to create and foster positive business contacts ( and law is a business after all). If you write an addedum, you are using your business background as an excuse for not getting higher grades, when in my opinion, owning a business, and being very successful at it is much harder than going to class.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:35 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:

Good luck!

I'd say yes - I mean I think its all about how you phrase it.

I think a positive message (obviously more specific but keep it brief and don't go overboard) could be:

Because my parents couldn't pay for college I started a successful small business which helped me pay way through my first two years of college. Unfortunately the X amount of hours it took to run the business made focusing on school difficult and having reached a more financially secure position I decided to close the business to focus on my final two years of school. As you can see my focus/passion for school grew in this years and this was one of the reasons I have now decided to apply to law school. I plan to make school a first priority if admitted to Georgetown's part time program.

That said, I also think this might be even better in a PS with the message that you learned a lot by running a successful small business (that you started out of necessity) and you translated that energy into a focus on school and these experiences made you realize you wanted to attend law school.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:51 pm

northwood wrote:i dont see how owning a business can be defined as a financial hardship. the only way it could become a financial hardship is if it went bankrupt, and you financed your business interests against your personal credit line, and had little collateral. But you talked about its success, so that wouldnt apply to you. As a small business owner myself, owning a business allows you the ability to control and manage its growth, so it doesnt get too big too fast. A lot of that has to do with resource management, havining the right people working for you, time management and a solid business plan that has options and strategies to handle unexpected results ( both good and bad) Owning a business is a big time consumer, and sometimes difficult decisions must be made in order for the best interests of the business and you to be kept. It sounds as though your business had the "fortune" to grow unexpectly while you were in college, which was the most inopportune time for you to foster its growth. You tried to manage it, but realized you cannot balance school, your business interests, and your personal life ( which is an incrediblky hard thing, no knock on you).

I would NOT write an addedum for your gpa. Instead, i would use owning a business as a good theme for a personal statement. Its definately something to be proud of ( owning a successful business) and is a testiment to your abilities to create and foster positive business contacts ( and law is a business after all). If you write an addedum, you are using your business background as an excuse for not getting higher grades, when in my opinion, owning a business, and being very successful at it is much harder than going to class.

Why dont you read the entire thread before offering your opinion.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”