Letter of Recommendation Signature

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
artichoke

Letter of Recommendation Signature

Postby artichoke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 pm

One of the professors who is writing me a letter of recommendation sent me an e-mail today asking if he could sign his LOR and then scan it and send it to me for me to print off and send in with the LSAC LOR form. What I'm wondering is if LSAC accepts scanned signatures or whether they only accept originals.

Also, is it a problem for me to see the LOR? Is this against LSAC rules?

gdane

Re: Letter of Recommendation Signature

Postby gdane » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Youre not supposed to see your letter. I dont think theres an actual "rule" regarding this, but I'm pretty certain it's frowned upon. The process is supposed to go like this: Think of recommenders, ask recommenders if they can be recommenders, if yes, then you give them the LSAC LOR form, recommender writers letter, recommender mails letter to LSAC with the LOR form signed by you, LSAC gets the letter, LSAC sends letter to whichever schools you designate.

Point of this? Try to follow this.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:19 pm

artichoke88 wrote:One of the professors who is writing me a letter of recommendation sent me an e-mail today asking if he could sign his LOR and then scan it and send it to me for me to print off and send in with the LSAC LOR form. What I'm wondering is if LSAC accepts scanned signatures or whether they only accept originals.

The easiest solution here is for your professor to just fax it to them directly.

Otherwise, this wouldn't work because either the envelope comes directly from your prof or he has to sign the flap of the envelope. Of course, I wonder how that works if you don't put a return address and you're both technically in the same mailing location(university...).

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 pm

gdane5 wrote:Youre not supposed to see your letter. I dont think theres an actual "rule" regarding this, but I'm pretty certain it's frowned upon. The process is supposed to go like this: Think of recommenders, ask recommenders if they can be recommenders, if yes, then you give them the LSAC LOR form, recommender writers letter, recommender mails letter to LSAC with the LOR form signed by you, LSAC gets the letter, LSAC sends letter to whichever schools you designate.

Point of this? Try to follow this.

My prof sent me mine, and I mailed it to LSAC with my home as the return address. It was accepted no problem. :) I dunno about a scanned signature though, cause the copy he sent me was the one he signed.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:36 pm

artichoke88 wrote:One of the professors who is writing me a letter of recommendation sent me an e-mail today asking if he could sign his LOR and then scan it and send it to me for me to print off and send in with the LSAC LOR form. What I'm wondering is if LSAC accepts scanned signatures or whether they only accept originals.

Nothing wrong with doing this. You should be fine. If you read the letter, just don't sign the LOR form that says you didn't. Problem solved.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:39 pm

billyez wrote:

Nothing wrong with doing this. You should be fine. If you read the letter, just don't sign the LOR form that says you didn't. Problem solved.

IIRC the form doesn't even ask if you saw the letter, just that you waive the right to see the letter.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
billyez wrote:

IIRC the form doesn't even ask if you saw the letter, just that you waive the right to see the letter.

This. You just freaked me out a little billyez.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Tons of misinformation in this thread.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:46 pm

If that's the case, go ahead and tell us what should be done.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:49 pm

billyez wrote:If that's the case, go ahead and tell us what should be done.

Well first off, you are not supposed to send the letter yourself, unless it is sealed and signed across the flap. Secondly, no where is there a rule or any stipulation that you cannot see your LOR. Having a prof send you a letter via email or fax and then sealing and sending the letter yourself is against LSAC regulations.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:53 pm

I did not follow this protocol for most of my LOR's and they were accepted without any issue whatsoever. I sent them from my own address and I'm fairly sure I sent copies of the LOR itself. At least one was from a scanned e-mail attachment. I can't speak to regulations, but if the OP is asking if what they are asking can be done without any problems, the answer is yes.

I'm not going to check my LSAC LOR forms again, but was there not a place where it said something to the effect of, "Sign here if you haven't read this letter and waive to read it in the future"? If not, then this was my mistake.
Last edited by billyez on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:56 pm

billyez wrote:I did not follow this protocol for most of my LOR's and they were accepted without any issue whatsoever. I sent them from my own address and I'm fairly sure I sent copies of the LOR itself. At least one was from a scanned e-mail attachment. I can't speak to regulations, but if the OP is asking if what they are asking can be done wihtout any problems, the answer is yes.

Fair enough. Unlike you, I cannot speak from the experience of actually doing this. All I can say is that it is against LSAC's regulations.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:59 pm

What I don't understand is why you would want a prof who is too lazy to send out a letter writing a LOR for you.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:01 pm

I had two academic LOR's, both of them sent it out themselves. I had ulterior motives to ask my other recommenders to give me the letter so I could send it myself - it was done to evaluate the letters and figure out which ones I should send to schools when I only had, say, two LOR's I could send to a school. So, it had nothing to do with laziness on their part and everything to do with my desire to read them...and it's a lot better to say, "I'll send it for you" instead of, "give me the letter so I can read it".
Last edited by billyez on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:02 pm

billyez wrote:I had two academic LOR's, both of them sent it out themselves. I had ulterior motives to ask my other recommenders to give me the letter so I could send it myself - it was done to evaluate the letters and figure out which ones I should send to schools when I only had, say, two LOR's I could send to a school.

All my recommenders agreed to send me an email copy of their letter so that I can read and review the letters myself.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Well, then you were in a bit of a different situation than me.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:34 pm

billyez wrote:I did not follow this protocol for most of my LOR's and they were accepted without any issue whatsoever. I sent them from my own address and I'm fairly sure I sent copies of the LOR itself. At least one was from a scanned e-mail attachment. I can't speak to regulations, but if the OP is asking if what they are asking can be done without any problems, the answer is yes.

I'm not going to check my LSAC LOR forms again, but was there not a place where it said something to the effect of, "Sign here if you haven't read this letter and waive to read it in the future"? If not, then this was my mistake.

How long ago did you apply to law school?

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 pm

I was part of last year's application cycle.

What in the world is that in your avatar?

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:44 pm

billyez wrote:I was part of last year's application cycle.

What in the world is that in your avatar?

Hah, it's the upper peninsula of Michigan.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 am

CastleRock wrote:

Well first off, you are not supposed to send the letter yourself, unless it is sealed and signed across the flap. Secondly, no where is there a rule or any stipulation that you cannot see your LOR. Having a prof send you a letter via email or fax and then sealing and sending the letter yourself is against LSAC regulations.

Could you link me to the webpage where it says this (if there is one)?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:36 am

artichoke88 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Could you link me to the webpage where it says this (if there is one)?

Umm, LSAC? --LinkRemoved--

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 am

billyez wrote:I'm not going to check my LSAC LOR forms again, but was there not a place where it said something to the effect of, "Sign here if you haven't read this letter and waive to read it in the future"? If not, then this was my mistake.

Nah, it says "Sign here if you waive your right to see the letter due to X act, X law, etc"

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:41 am

ITT: billyez bugs people about their avatar.

What pokemon is that Hannibal? I know it's not one of the original 150 or else I would recognize it.

And thanks for setting me straight regarding what it said.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:41 am

Mudkip.

I liek mudkipz.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”