Age for law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dovlet

Age for law school

Postby dovlet » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 pm

I was dismissed from school. I need to know whether the age is problem for going to law school and to be lawyer. I am 38 years.

Hannibal

Re: Age for law school

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm

You were dismissed from what kind of school?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Imo, 38 is too old to start law school.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:45 pm

I think the "dismissed from school" part is what you should be worried about.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Depends on your finances. If you start law school at 38, you finish at 41, then get ~26 years until retirement versus my 43.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Bosque wrote:I think the "dismissed from school" part is what you should be worried about.

:lol:

To answer OP's question. Would i got to law school at age 38? Probably not! However, a lot of ppl do it, and they are successful, but, please, do not be a gunner. The older students tend to be such gunners. It gets on my nerves!

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:18 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
Bosque wrote:I think the "dismissed from school" part is what you should be worried about.

To answer OP's question. Would i got to law school at age 38? Probably not! However, a lot of ppl do it, and they are successful, but, please, do not be a gunner. The older students tend to be such gunners. It gets on my nerves!

This is a very credited post. There was a 50ish guy in my section who WOULD. NOT. STFU.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 pm

SBL wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

This is a very credited post. There was a 50ish guy in my section who WOULD. NOT. STFU.

Not at all limited to law school. Same way for my undergrad and masters. The person who has "real life experience" always felt like they needed to apply their personal experience of child-rearing to their interpretation of the Franco Prussian War... Christ.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Also, I read somewhere not too long ago that your cognitive abilities tend to start to decay by the time you're 30 (scary, right?)

Doesn't mean you're at a disadvantage, though - else all CEO's, doctors, lawyers, CPA's, what have you would be 24. You presumably may have more discipline, experience, and drive than a 22 yr old out of undergrad, which could compensate for your decreased ability to absorb and synthesize information. Good luck.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Hannibal wrote:You were dismissed from what kind of school?

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:59 pm

SBL wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

Most pathetic situation ever:
Professor: Ohhh... I forgot my pink pen at home today.
Two 40 year olds: I have one I have one.... Here, have mine!
Professor: Thanks! Ok... so we were talking about X.
30 year old raises her hand: Oh my god! i have one too!!! You want mine instead?

WTH people, WTH!!!!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 pm

TommyK wrote:Also, I read somewhere not too long ago that your cognitive abilities tend to start to decay by the time you're 30 (scary, right?)

Doesn't mean you're at a disadvantage, though - else all CEO's, doctors, lawyers, CPA's, what have you would be 24. You presumably may have more discipline, experience, and drive than a 22 yr old out of undergrad, which could compensate for your decreased ability to absorb and synthesize information. Good luck.

Yeah the peak is around age 20. However, people often don't manage to acquire enough knowledge by that age to swing being a CEO/doctor/lawyer, etc. Fwiw, my 80 year old grandma is still taking college courses for fun.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:12 pm

To OP, what are your goals coming out of law school? In other words, what are you going to law school for?

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:14 pm

dovlet wrote:I was dismissed from school. I need to know whether the age is problem for going to law school and to be lawyer. I am 38 years.

IMO You should learn English before going to law school.

HTH

tru

Postby tru » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tru

Postby tru » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:33 pm

If you don't have a 'tar you are a figment of my imagination.

HTH

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 pm

I started at 36 (almost 37).
I'm 38 now starting 3L.

I'm not sure what OP's age-related concerns are.

Being 10-12 years older than many of my classmates has really not had any noticeable effect. I've done respectably thus far (top 3rd of the class, journal with a note being published, etc.) I landed a small-law job for the summer....all right in keeping with others who have performed similarly.
As far as retiring sooner....lets not kid ourselves...no one under 40-45 is gonna get to retire until they're 70.
Retiring 30 years after law school or 40 years after law school means little.
I say go for it!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:50 pm

reverendt wrote:I started at 36 (almost 37).
I'm 38 now starting 3L.

I'm not sure what OP's age-related concerns are.

Being 10-12 years older than many of my classmates has really not had any noticeable effect. I've done respectably thus far (top 3rd of the class, journal with a note being published, etc.) I landed a small-law job for the summer....all right in keeping with others who have performed similarly.
As far as retiring sooner....lets not kid ourselves...no one under 40-45 is gonna get to retire until they're 70.
Retiring 30 years after law school or 40 years after law school means little.
I say go for it!

Forgot about this. 50 more years to retirement it is.

lawschool2014

Postby lawschool2014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:57 pm

dovlet wrote:I was dismissed from school. I need to know whether the age is problem for going to law school and to be lawyer. I am 38 years.

Could you get into HYSCCN? Then, I would say age does not matter. Otherwise, rethink the financial risk and low reward potential.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 pm

TommyK wrote:
SBL wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

Not at all limited to law school. Same way for my undergrad and masters. The person who has "real life experience" always felt like they needed to apply their personal experience of child-rearing to their interpretation of the Franco Prussian War... Christ.

Ha, someone in my religion class used to do that. Minus the war. And they always sit right frigging up front and have questions about EVERYTHING.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
SBL wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

Most pathetic situation ever:
Professor: Ohhh... I forgot my pink pen at home today.
Two 40 year olds: I have one I have one.... Here, have mine!
Professor: Thanks! Ok... so we were talking about X.
30 year old raises her hand: Oh my god! i have one too!!! You want mine instead?

WTH people, WTH!!!!

People who don't when to shut the hell up in the classroom should be tarred and feathered.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:13 pm

sibley wrote:Ha, someone in my religion class used to do that. Minus the war. And they always sit right frigging up front and have questions about EVERYTHING.

I had someone believe he was being so incredibly original when he told the entire class his method of reconciling evolution and creationism. Needless to say, he was subjected to many spit balls and taunts in general.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:15 pm

SBL wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

I met a 40-something year old in law school who was an intern with me. Guy must have been on speed, but he was cool as hell.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:28 pm

OP: my dad was 35 when he started law school, and he did great, better late than never to do what you want

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”