Ask a guy who took the LSAT 7 times and now going to a T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tru

Re: Ask a guy who took the LSAT 7 times and now going to a T14

Postby tru » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:51 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:how? I fail to see how the LSAT has nothing to do with intelligence. In fact, I do not see any correlation between LSAT performance and law school performance.

Luckily we don't have to trust your judgment. LSAT has a higher correlation to first year performance than any other single variable.

I'm not asking you to trust my judgment. I still think the LSAT has nothing to do with being smart.

Then what exactly do you think separates LSAT test takers?

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:51 pm

What it comes down to is that people on here get very defensive when anyone hates on the LSAT. They feel threatened. Doing well on the LSAT is their only claim to fame and it makes them feel good about themselves. The OP made a good point though, Mr. Desert Fox got a 170+ and so did he. Of course it only took Mr. Fox 1 shot (right?), but the OP still got it. I dont think the OP magically got "smarter" in 2.5 years, so it must've been that he finally learned the LSAT. So maybe we can say that doing well on the LSAT is more about learning how to take it and not necessarily being smart.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 pm

I personally think that anyone who gets under a 3.9 GPA is probably a lazy jerkoff with a lizard brain, but whatever. We could play "whose is biggest" all night long in this thread, but it won't resolve the underlying issue:

What is the significance of the fact that Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz totally sync up?

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:DF, if it helps you understand this concept, think about it this way.

I, a moron, got a 170+ on the LSAT. Sorry to undermine your intellect,

but you're not special :|

lol. Not the LSAT but I, without speaking English and after being in this country for a month, took the SAT and got a full scholarship to college. Really, standardized tests are crap. Imo they are not an indication of anything.

Are you saying that the disclaimer on the LSAT is true!?!?!?

What disclaimeR?

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:53 pm

gdane5 wrote:What it comes down to is that people on here get very defensive when anyone hates on the LSAT. They feel threatened. Doing well on the LSAT is their only claim to fame and it makes them feel good about themselves. The OP made a good point though, Mr. Desert Fox got a 170+ and so did he. Of course it only took Mr. Fox 1 shot (right?), but the OP still got it. I dont think the OP magically got "smarter" in 2.5 years, so it must've been that he finally learned the LSAT. So maybe we can say that doing well on the LSAT is more about learning how to take it and not necessarily being smart.

I agree with this.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:how? I fail to see how the LSAT has nothing to do with intelligence. In fact, I do not see any correlation between LSAT performance and law school performance.

Luckily we don't have to trust your judgment. LSAT has a higher correlation to first year performance than any other single variable.

I'm not asking you to trust my judgment. I still think the LSAT has nothing to do with being smart.

Using the Powerscore books, taking LSAT prep courses that cost $$$$, using TLS. None of these relate directly to intelligence.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:54 pm

gdane5 wrote:What it comes down to is that people on here get very defensive when anyone hates on the LSAT. They feel threatened. Doing well on the LSAT is their only claim to fame and it makes them feel good about themselves. The OP made a good point though, Mr. Desert Fox got a 170+ and so did he. Of course it only took Mr. Fox 1 shot (right?), but the OP still got it. I dont think the OP magically got "smarter" in 2.5 years, so it must've been that he finally learned the LSAT. So maybe we can say that doing well on the LSAT is more about learning how to take it and not necessarily being smart.

Lol I felt good about myself before the LSAT. I actually defend the LSAT because I think it's in general well-made, not because of my score. I've criticized other standardized exams that I've done just as well on.

gdane5 wrote:
Using the Powerscore books, taking LSAT prep courses that cost $$$$, using TLS. None of these relate directly to intelligence.

I also didn't use any of these.
Last edited by acrossthelake on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm not, and will not claim the LSAT is a perfect indicator of intelligence. However I'm sure it's a pretty good approximation. Any test will break down under extreme preparation.

Do you guys really think if you assembled a group of 100 180's and 100 160's, both groups would average the same intelligence? Really?

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:We could play "whose is biggest" all night long

I would win

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I personally think that anyone who gets under a 3.9 GPA is probably a lazy jerkoff with a lizard brain, but whatever.

ummm Okay, try some pre-med / engineering classes, then rethink this sentiment.
Last edited by thecilent on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I personally think that anyone who gets under a 3.9 GPA is probably a lazy jerkoff with a lizard brain, but whatever. We could play "whose is biggest" all night long in this thread, but it won't resolve the underlying issue:

What is the significance of the fact that Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz totally sync up?

Change that to 3.7 and I'll agree. I was lazy as shit.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Then what exactly do you think separates LSAT test takers?

:shock: :roll:

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 pm

thecilent wrote:
gdane5 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Then what exactly do you think separates LSAT test takers?

:shock: :roll:

BAHAHAHAHA

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I'm not, and will not claim the LSAT is a perfect indicator of intelligence. However I'm sure it's a pretty good approximation. Any test will break down under extreme preparation.

Do you guys really think if you assembled a group of 100 180's and 100 160's, both groups would average the same intelligence? Really?

I think the point to be taken from this conversation is that you think you are smarter than 95 percent of ppl who score below your 170+.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Luckily we don't have to trust your judgment. LSAT has a higher correlation to first year performance than any other single variable.

Which is why I'm not saying 176 is smarter than 175. If you compare people who studied in the same ballpark of effort, it's probably a good approximation of intelligence.

However anyone who can't hit 160 with practice is stupid.
Last edited by 09042014 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:58 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I think the point to be taken from this conversation is that you think you are smarter than 95 percent of ppl who score below your 170+.

I do. Well of people who score noticeably below me. The score band for the last is very large, 6 points.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:59 pm

Remember that level intelligence is also subjective. I personally believe that a neurosurgeon that can take apart your head, take crap out of your brain and then put you back together as good as new is 2000x more intelligent than a lawyer working at a Biglaw firm. No matter what the lawyer does.

tru

Postby tru » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:00 pm

gdane5 wrote:Remember that level intelligence is also subjective. I personally believe that a neurosurgeon that can take apart your head, take crap out of your brain and then put you back together as good as new is 2000x more intelligent than a lawyer working at a Biglaw firm. No matter what the lawyer does.

QF having no fucking clue what intelligence means.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I do. Well of people who score noticeably below me. The score band for the last is very large, 6 points.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You should put your score on your resume.

tru

Postby tru » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Of course not - the 180ers would come out as superior because the LSAT is not a learnable test.

With reasoning skills like that I can see why it took 2.5 years to break 170.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Which is why I'm not saying 176 is smarter than 175. If you compare people who studied in the same ballpark of effort, it's probably a good approximation of intelligence.

However anyone who can't hit 160 without practice is stupid.

Agreed with you on pretty much everything except the bolded - which is really a dumb thing to say. maybe you mean 'with' practice (which is only marginally better)?

tru

Postby tru » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”