African American

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WestOfTheRest

Re: African American

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:27 pm

jmhendri wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
To be honest, I was offended by the sexual harassment that occurred in your first gif.

That woman really crossed the line. She needs a lesson in boundaries.

Kind of looks like she learned her lesson, I can forgive and move on.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:27 pm

jmhendri wrote:
nickbentley wrote:
dresden doll wrote: than OP's thinly veiled anti-AA screed.

I'd imagine the RC section on LSAT is something you struggle with.

ahhhh, classic.

Dres, you must be a total LSAT failure and shouldn't attempt to match wits with this one.

Indeed. Anyone that asks what would happen if they pretended to belong to the race they don't belong to is clearly an intellectual giant with whom I cannot hope to compete.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:28 pm

nickbentley wrote:How would you have comprehended anything I've said to be anti-AA?

That is ridiculous.

nickbentley wrote:But in all honesty this isn't a discussion for cheating into better schools. It is a discussion of how somebody could remove unfair barriers to entry.

Obvious troll is too obvious to be any fun.

And, dres, those are clearly jokes from B movies, you really shouldn't get offended at them. Or, if you're gonna be offended, I think you should be offended that the idea a chick that hot would try to grab such a gross guy's junk. Especially a gross junk draped in bad polyester.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:28 pm

jmhendri wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
To be honest, I was offended by the sexual harassment that occurred in your first gif.

That woman really crossed the line. She needs a lesson in boundaries.

Inorite? I cringed when I saw her hand inch toward the unsuspecting bar patron's nether regions.

Postby 20121109 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:28 pm

nickbentley wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
nickbentley wrote:When we are discussing numbers for schools (LSAT and gpa) I'm noticing a pattern of the numbers being followed by the letters AA. I'm guessing those letters increase admission odds.

I mean, it doesn't get more transparent than this. You need to be a bit more cunning next time, OP

Am I wrong?

Why else would someone indicate AA next to their stats?

I'm saying race plays a roll in admissions decisions, or it would not be brought up.

This is not racism.

Because they're ACTUALLY African-American?

But thanks for letting us all know that minorities can get into top schools with lower numbers than their non-URM counterparts. Someone should really look into that phenomenon further.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:30 pm

paratactical wrote:Or, if you're gonna be offended, I think you should be offended that the idea a chick that hot would try to grab such a gross guy's junk. Especially a gross junk draped in bad polyester.

Ugh. I just shuddered.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:30 pm

nickbentley wrote:When we are discussing numbers for schools (LSAT and gpa) I'm noticing a pattern of the numbers being followed by the letters AA. I'm guessing those letters increase admission odds.

dresden doll wrote: OP's thinly veiled anti-AA screed.

nickbentley wrote: But in all honesty this isn't a discussion for cheating into better schools. It is a discussion of how somebody could remove unfair barriers to entry.

nickbentley wrote: I'd imagine the RC section on LSAT is something you struggle with.

How would you have comprehended anything I've said to be anti-AA?

That is ridiculous.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm

paratactical wrote:Or, if you're gonna be offended, I think you should be offended that the idea a chick that hot would try to grab such a gross guy's junk. Especially a gross junk draped in bad polyester.

Don't hate on the old school player. She was drawn to his manliness and swag.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:This kind of situation happened at my undergrad. The person wasn't dismissed. I think it was easier for the administration to let it go than to pursue the issue.

Don't give him ideas.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Thirteen wrote:

Don't hate on the old school player. She was drawn to his manliness and swag.

His swag is serious! So is his swing

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:34 pm

paratactical wrote:
Obvious troll is too obvious to be any fun.

Not trolling. Read any of my other threads.

This isn't a troll thread.

I was just driving during lunch and thought about this, so I asked if anybody had actually tried that.

Apparently, now I'm racist...?
:lol:

we can end the thread now if you would all like... A dude already answered the question when he said, "The school would argue that the rescinded admission due to dishonesty, not race."

I'd bet he is right

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:36 pm

nickbentley wrote:I was just driving during lunch and thought about this, so I asked if anybody had actually tried that.

Right, and you totally thought someone would seriously own up to it.

Postby 20121109 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:37 pm

I don't think you're racist. I think you're an idiot who can't even troll such an easily trollable topic.
Last edited by 20121109 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:39 pm

nickbentley wrote:What if a person, who is white, applied to school saying they are African American and was accepted.

Would the school ever look back to determine if they are actually african American?

If they accepted The person, then withdrew their acceptance because they are white, would the person have a case against the school for racial discrimination?

When we are discussing numbers for schools (LSAT and gpa) I'm noticing a pattern of the numbers being followed by the letters AA. I'm guessing those letters increase admission odds.

So, OP this has been discussed before and would not work, BUUUUT there is something I have been thinking about. What if you got a DNA test that said you were 55% or 45% or 35% of URM descent, but you have neither URM heritage or appearance. Do you think you could legitimately apply as a URM?

I've been thinking about this since I heard this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =123815839

Note: I am NOT thinking of doing this. This is merely something I was thinking about.

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:40 pm

dresden doll wrote:
nickbentley wrote:I was just driving during lunch and thought about this, so I asked if anybody had actually tried that.

Right, and you totally thought someone would seriously own up to it.

Nah, I thought somebody had heard of it happening though..

Does it effect even admissions THAT much?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Hey-O wrote:
nickbentley wrote:What if a person, who is white, applied to school saying they are African American and was accepted.

Would the school ever look back to determine if they are actually african American?

If they accepted The person, then withdrew their acceptance because they are white, would the person have a case against the school for racial discrimination?

When we are discussing numbers for schools (LSAT and gpa) I'm noticing a pattern of the numbers being followed by the letters AA. I'm guessing those letters increase admission odds.

So, OP this has been discussed before and would not work, BUUUUT there is something I have been thinking about. What if you got a DNA test that said you were 55% or 45% or 35% of URM descent, but you have neither URM heritage or appearance. Do you think you could legitimately apply as a URM?

Note: I am NOT thinking of doing this. This is merely something I was thinking about.

LMAO. I highly doubt that Henry Louis Gate (Harvard Professor caught up in Beergate) wanted his researched to be used for non-urms to trace back their ancestry to 1 URM, so they can claim URM status over 200 plus years later.

Great find :lol:

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey-O wrote:

haha... i already know that I have nothing but european in me.

If you were actually 55% URM, I'd say you could legitimately apply as a URM. no?

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:43 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I don't think you're racist. I think you're an idiot who can't even troll such an easily trollable topic.

:lol:

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Hey-O wrote:

What about this though... My great grandparents were on vacation in Chihuahua Mexico when my grandma was born early in a hospital in Mexico. I have documents of where my ancestors are from and it shows that my grandmother is from Chihuahua Mexico.

Would it be justified to state that I am of hispanic descent?

Note: I'm not actually planning on this either. :?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:56 pm

nickbentley wrote:
Hey-O wrote:

What about this though... My great grandparents were on vacation in Chihuahua Mexico when my grandma was born early in a hospital in Mexico. I have documents of where my ancestors are from and it shows that my grandmother is from Chihuahua Mexico.

Would it be justified to state that I am of hispanic descent?

Note: I'm not actually planning on this either. :?

No, because you are NOT of Hispanic descent.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:59 pm

This thread has been done to death on TLS. The gist is this: There's no guarantee you'll get caught, but (1) it's wrong to lie about your race in order to get an advantage in your law school admissions cycle and (2) if you do get caught, you're likely to be very, very screwed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”