Will schools know about ED even if you aren't accepted? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
czelede

Silver

Will schools know about ED even if you aren't accepted?

Post by czelede » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Naturally we all know that if you are accepted ED, schools/LSAC will find some way of letting other schools know so you can't renege etc etc.

However, what if you aren't accepted at all?

The reason I ask is because several schools (NU, Columbia) have clauses in their ED contracts that stipulate that you can't ED any other school during the application cycle. I can't help but feel knowing that you've ED'ed another school might make other schools hesitant about accepting you (also because it's clear they aren't your first choice). Does anyone know if this data is released ex post facto or if adcomms would be aware of your inclinations during the entire process?

thechee

Bronze

Re: Will schools know about ED even if you aren't accepted?

Post by thechee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:34 pm

No, they won't know, or care, unless you are accepted.

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:41 pm

I thought LSAC reported that??

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:43 pm

thechee wrote:No, they won't know, or care, unless you are accepted.
How do schools enforce the "you are not allowed to use your ED card more than once this cycle" rule then? (When they have it, of course)

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 pm

I imagine they notify other schools of their ED applicants???

Consider this -- they won't have a rule they can't enforce.

Why take the chance of cheating and getting caught? You'll torpedo your law future.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:53 pm

You cannot ED to more than one school at the same time, but once a decision is rendered (assuming it's a "no"), I don't believe they can stop you from another ED application.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:58 pm

ncct07 wrote:I imagine they notify other schools of their ED applicants???

Consider this -- they won't have a rule they can't enforce.

Why take the chance of cheating and getting caught? You'll torpedo your law future.
I'm not talking about cheating or ED-ing to two schools at once. Consider if you are equally torn between two schools, and decide to ED school #1 while writing a compelling "Why X" for school #2, to which you apply RD. I would feel uncomfortable with school #2 knowing that I've made an ED decision elsewhere while they are still in the process of considering the application (suppose school #1 hasn't decided or has deferred/rejected). Wouldn't your "Why X" appear a little less compelling if adcomms knew right off the bat that their school wasn't truly your first choice?

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 pm

kalvano wrote:You cannot ED to more than one school at the same time, but once a decision is rendered (assuming it's a "no"), I don't believe they can stop you from another ED application.

Northwestern specifically forbids this.

My guess is they have an agreement with other schools who offer ED to be notified of applicants who choose this option.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:07 pm

ncct07 wrote:
kalvano wrote:You cannot ED to more than one school at the same time, but once a decision is rendered (assuming it's a "no"), I don't believe they can stop you from another ED application.

My guess is they have an agreement with other schools who offer ED to be notified of applicants who choose this option.
Yeah, this is specifically what I'm wondering about. I feel like a school on the border of accepting/waitlisting an applicant might be more inclined to waitlist them if they knew without a doubt that they were not the applicant's first choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:22 pm

ncct07 wrote:

But if they've already rejected you, how can they enforce it?

They've already said no, so how can they still hold sway over your application cycle?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Not the same thing at all. That was asking about how to get out of an ED application.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:32 pm

I was wondering this as well. Question comes down to this: If you ED to school A and they reject you, can you ED to school B if their ED deadline is still available?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Ildeuce wrote:I was wondering this as well. Question comes down to this: If you ED to school A and they reject you, can you ED to school B if their ED deadline is still available?
Yes you can. I did it myself for UCLA, then UVA.

I'm iffy on Northwestern, because Northwestern does forbid it, but I know of someone who went School A -> Northwestern, and got in.

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm iffy on Northwestern, because Northwestern does forbid it, but I know of someone who went School A -> Northwestern, and got in.

I'm going to guess that person heard from School A first, and THEN ED'd NU....so, they didn't technically break NU's rule (unless they ED'd another school at the same time/after the NU application).

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:40 pm

ncct07 wrote:

I'm going to guess that person heard from School A first, and THEN ED'd NU....so, they didn't technically break NU's rule (unless they ED'd another school at the same time/after the NU application).
Is the "Northwestern Rule" applied at any other T14?

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:41 pm

ncct07 wrote:

If I remember correctly, NU forbids the school A to NU route as well. Someone dig up the exact quote please.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
ncct07 wrote:

Is the "Northwestern Rule" applied at any other T14?
Columbia, apparently.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:46 pm

kalvano wrote:
ncct07 wrote:

But if they've already rejected you, how can they enforce it?

They've already said no, so how can they still hold sway over your application cycle?
I guess if the schools have some kind of agreement? In the same way you would have repercussions if you tried to weasel out of an ED acceptance and attend elsewhere?

I'm only planning to ED once, but as I was skimming through different ED contracts I found myself wondering about the impact it may have on other schools (RD) for them to know, without a doubt, that your first choice is some other school. Especially for a borderline applicant.

I'm getting the feeling that schools don't enforce this "don't ED anywhere else, period" rule too stringently, but if they were I would be curious as to whether it would be during or after the cycle.

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:47 pm

From NU's Early Decision Certification Document:

An applicant may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one school during the same admissions cycle. Candidates applying to Northwestern through the Early Decision program may apply to other law schools on a regular decision basis.However, they must understand and agree that they are required to immediately withdraw all other law school applications if they are accepted to Northwestern as an Early Decision candidate and that they may not initiate any new applications after they have been informed of their acceptance to Northwestern under the Early Decision program.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:50 pm

ncct07 wrote:From NU's Early Decision Certification Document:

An applicant may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one school during the same admissions cycle. Candidates applying to Northwestern through the Early Decision program may apply to other law schools on a regular decision basis.However, they must understand and agree that they are required to immediately withdraw all other law school applications if they are accepted to Northwestern as an Early Decision candidate and that they may not initiate any new applications after they have been informed of their acceptance to Northwestern under the Early Decision program.
Yeah I think someone should definitely call admissions and ask them to explain that first sentence. It definitely doesn't fit in with what other schools let you do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:53 pm

flyingpanda wrote:

Yeah I think someone should definitely call admissions and ask them to explain that first sentence. It definitely doesn't fit in with what other schools let you do.
That first sentence is very vague. You are not an early decision candidate at more than one school if the first school rejected you a week ago and you ED somewhere else. Aren't you no longer a candidate when they say "no"?

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:

That first sentence is very vague. You are not an early decision candidate at more than one school if the first school rejected you a week ago and you ED somewhere else. Aren't you no longer a candidate when they say "no"?
I have no clue. If anyone is planning on trying out the splitter ED triple dip (UVA----> NU ----> GULC), should def ask NU just to make sure.

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:

That's what I was thinking. It wouldn't make sense that you can't ED anywhere else after being rejected.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”