Art Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ARTfulDodger

New

Art Law

Post by ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:47 am

Hi everyone! Does anyone know of any law schools that are particually strong in the area of Art Law? I know it's generally under IP law, but I'm looking for some schools that have special classes or clinics geared toward this particular area.

GATORTIM

Silver

Re: Art Law

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:53 am

I'm thinking this is more correlated with the region of the school

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:55 am

Meaning that NY, Philly, and DC would be strongest in the east coast?

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:06 pm

I love art, but I don't have the slightest insight of the innerworkings of the art world. I observe it, appreciate it and will hopefully have enough discretionary money to buy it some day; that's my knowledge of art. I just think this is such a niche area of law that you would be better served by studying law in an "artsy" region and networking versus attending a school in a non-artsy area that offers a course in Picaso Dealings

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:07 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 pm

NYAssociate wrote:I don't think school matters as much as being in the right place at the right time. But academically, NYU offers art law courses (one introductory course and one seminar) and offers plenty of guidance through the Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Society. Columbia offers, I believe, a special year-around internship with the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (VLA), a great conduit for aspiring art lawyers.

In general, the field is very small. Your best bet is to work for the most prestigious firm possible in a major art market, or for the firm with the best soft IP program in that market. The former provides access to coveted positions like general counsel for the Met, Moma, etc. The latter provides access to those same positions, but also opens the door to positions geared toward the IP side of art. Obviously, as general counsel of a major museum, you will be doing much more than intellectual property work.

Also, network, network, network.
Thanks for the info.

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:11 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I love art, but I don't have the slightest insight of the innerworkings of the art world. I observe it, appreciate it and will hopefully have enough discretionary money to buy it some day; that's my knowledge of art. I just think this is such a niche area of law that you would be better served by studying law in an "artsy" region and networking versus attending a school in a non-artsy area that offers a course in Picaso Dealings
Very true...I'm hoping to open a gallery and have a bit of an art history background (being a minor and all) but I really love art as well. Thanks for your help, I'll keep this in mind!

s419

New

Post by s419 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:15 pm

This is the field I'm going into and I've done a lot of research, taken relevant classes and spoken to practitioners in the field. Across the board, I was told to go to the best law school I got into and work to make my own contacts/opportunities there. This is the advice I took.

Here's what I know from my research of schools that have more organized programs in art law:

- DePaul (Chicago) has one of the most prominent professors in the field of protection of cultural property and has devoted classes and programs.
- Columbia has an art law clinic, club, journal, etc.
- NYU has a professor who consistently teaches an art law intro and advanced class - her focus is more in 1st amendment and art issues and artists rights.
- UPenn has a pretty active art law student group.

That's most of what I remember from my research and visits last cycle. I'd recommend looking at schools in major cities (more artists, museums, dealers, etc.) or alternatively looking at universities that have their own well-respected museums that you might be able to volunteer with. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:20 pm

On a related note, does anyone know any good schools for Bird Law?

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 pm

s419 wrote:This is the field I'm going into and I've done a lot of research, taken relevant classes and spoken to practitioners in the field. Across the board, I was told to go to the best law school I got into and work to make my own contacts/opportunities there. This is the advice I took.

Here's what I know from my research of schools that have more organized programs in art law:

- DePaul (Chicago) has one of the most prominent professors in the field of protection of cultural property and has devoted classes and programs.
- Columbia has an art law clinic, club, journal, etc.
- NYU has a professor who consistently teaches an art law intro and advanced class - her focus is more in 1st amendment and art issues and artists rights.
- UPenn has a pretty active art law student group.

That's most of what I remember from my research and visits last cycle. I'd recommend looking at schools in major cities (more artists, museums, dealers, etc.) or alternatively looking at universities that have their own well-respected museums that you might be able to volunteer with. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.
Thanks so much! I'll probably be PMing you soon with more questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”