is ED really binding?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nickbentley

Re: is ED really binding?

Postby nickbentley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:34 am

I may be misunderstanding...

I'm planning on sending my applications out on November 5th. If I send my apps in then...if one of the schools accept me, I'm bound to the school?

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 am

If you ED before the deadline, whether it be in September, October, or in your case, November, then it is binding. So make sure that's the school that you really want to attend!

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 am

nickbentley wrote:I may be misunderstanding...

I'm planning on sending my applications out on November 5th. If I send my apps in then...if one of the schools accept me, I'm bound to the school?

No. Early Decision is a particular program that you have to normally sign another document saying that you are applying Early Decision. It is not the same as just an early application.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
byunbee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Nope. NU emailed UChi as well. When I emailed Uchi they responded back "Good luck at Northwestern."

Also Harvard got pissed because they didn't get my letter by snail mail, and they sent me a pissy letter about NU.

How catty of them.

UChi's wasn't catty at all. Seemed Sincere. Harvard was being a dick. Apparently they are too good for email withdrawals.

It's Harvard. Anything less than a messenger on horseback in full dress uniform with two attendants is not sufficient.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:46 pm

I feel like some admissions deans talk to each other more than most applicants realize.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:17 pm

zworykin wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Just to underscore how much schools work together: I got into NU ED. The next day, before withdrawing anywhere, I called Cornell to get my decision (rejection) and the admissions person told me that NU withdrew me from consideration, so she couldn't tell me either way.

Wait, NU withdrew your acceptance?

I read it that way at first too, but that seemed too unreasonable (it was the very next day!). So now I'm reading it as "NU called Cornell to withdraw my name on my behalf since they had accepted my binding ED app."
Yep. Sorry if I was unclear. I applied Cornell EA and got my acceptance to NU ED a day or two before the end of the EA period at Cornell. Since I hadn't yet withdrawn from any school, I thought I could get Cornell to give me my decision. When I called, though, the admissions person said that NU had notified the school of my acceptance and withdrawn my application from consideration at Cornell. I didn't get a fee waiver at Cornell and wanted my hard-earned rejection, but oh well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”