is ED really binding?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdhopeful11

is ED really binding?

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:07 pm

What is so "binding" about ED? If someone gets accepted to Yale after applying Gtown ED, how do they get out of their Gtown admission? Is it legally binding?

Hannibal

Re: is ED really binding?

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:09 pm

If GTown rejects you you're fine. If GTown accepts, you're going to GTown.

But if you EDed to GTown with a chance at Yale you're probably too retarded to go to Yale anyway.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 pm

First, if you had a shot at Yale and ED'd Georgetown you're dumb.

Second, technically it's not legally binding. But no law school will accept you if you try to get out of an ED. The only way it's possible is if you withdraw from all schools, including the ED school and then reapply the next cycle. Even then I would say its probably risky.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:13 pm

My hypothetical was strictly technical; not to be taken literally.

How would other schools know that you backed out of an ED? I know that you're "supposed" to go if you get in via ED, but how do they really enforce that? What leverage do they have over you?

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:15 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:My hypothetical was strictly technical; not to be taken literally.

How would other schools know that you backed out of an ED? I know that you're "supposed" to go if you get in via ED, but how do they really enforce that? What leverage do they have over you?

Someone link to that bro on LSN that had his Columbia admission rescinded or something

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:16 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:My hypothetical was strictly technical; not to be taken literally.

Someone link to that bro on LSN that had his Columbia admission rescinded or something

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daninreallife/jd

PostHawk

Postby PostHawk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 pm

Not all EDs are binding... From what I understand if a school accepts you via binding ED and you try not to go there they tell other schools what you've done and no other schools will accept you

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:19 pm

LSAC sends list to the schools saying who deposited where in June. Schools notify LSAC of people who withdraw from binding ED. The schools work together and will withdraw admissions if you violate a contract with someone else. Law schools care more about helping each other then some random person when they can just give their seat to someone else.

If you want to be a lawyer, maybe you should learn that contracts as a matter of principal should be enforced.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Schools inform peer schools and if you get found out, which is very likely, your admissions offers will be revoked. /thread

P.S. The daninreallife is fake, but it serves the point.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:22 pm

bk1 wrote:
P.S. The daninreallife is fake, but it serves the point.

That's a shame. His fit talking about how Law School is a waste of time was pretty priceless.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:26 pm

OP, the only times one should do ED is for financial reasons (GWU) or a dream school for which you would pay full price and would is a long shot at RD (T14). Don't throw good negotiating status away for anything less.

Also, schools send out the names of their accepted ED students all the time, just so people don't try pulling any shit.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:33 pm

CyLaw wrote:

If you want to be a lawyer, maybe you should learn that contracts as a matter of principal should be enforced.

I was asking a question dickhead, don't use it as an excuse to judge my moral character

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:34 pm

OGR3 wrote:OP, the only times one should do ED is for financial reasons (GWU) or a dream school for which you would pay full price and would is a long shot at RD (T14). Don't throw good negotiating status away for anything less.

Also, schools send out the names of their accepted ED students all the time, just so people don't try pulling any shit.

Interesting, I did not know about the LSAC list. Makes sense. I always thought that you only loss your deposit.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Just to underscore how much schools work together: I got into NU ED. The next day, before withdrawing anywhere, I called Cornell to get my decision (rejection) and the admissions person told me that NU withdrew me from consideration, so she couldn't tell me either way.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:46 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

I was asking a question dickhead, don't use it as an excuse to judge my moral character

Sorry if I offended you. I just got tired of people asking questions similar to this which really boiled down to "How can I get away with breaking the rules?"

I really do apologize if the last sentence in my comment upset you. It was not meant to be snide, but just frank when many on here don't consider that the profession they are going into is about upholding societal standards of conduct.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 pm

NayBoer wrote:Just to underscore how much schools work together: I got into NU ED. The next day, before withdrawing anywhere, I called Cornell to get my decision (rejection) and the admissions person told me that NU withdrew me from consideration, so she couldn't tell me either way.

Wait, NU withdrew your acceptance?

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:50 pm

So if one applies ED and has open apps, how long do they have to withdraw their apps?

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:51 pm

CyLaw wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Sorry if I offended you.

np

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:52 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:So if one applies ED and has open apps, how long do they have to withdraw their apps?

I think it's usually a few days after they receive word of acceptance.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:54 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:So if one applies ED and has open apps, how long do they have to withdraw their apps?

If I remember the ED apps I read, I think for most it was just "in a timely manner", while others had specific timelines of say 2 weeks from written notice of acceptance.

Always wait for written notice and then confirm with the school, as didn't some school last year or the previous send out emails to everyone saying they were admitted by mistake.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:42 pm

Hannibal wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Just to underscore how much schools work together: I got into NU ED. The next day, before withdrawing anywhere, I called Cornell to get my decision (rejection) and the admissions person told me that NU withdrew me from consideration, so she couldn't tell me either way.

I read it that way at first too, but that seemed too unreasonable (it was the very next day!). So now I'm reading it as "NU called Cornell to withdraw my name on my behalf since they had accepted my binding ED app."

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:43 pm

zworykin wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

I read it that way at first too, but that seemed too unreasonable (it was the very next day!). So now I'm reading it as "NU called Cornell to withdraw my name on my behalf since they had accepted my binding ED app."

If I recall previous threads, this is the correct interpretation.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:56 pm

zworykin wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Nope. NU emailed UChi as well. When I emailed Uchi they responded back "Good luck at Northwestern."

Also Harvard got pissed because they didn't get my letter by snail mail, and they sent me a pissy letter about NU.

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Nope. NU emailed UChi as well. When I emailed Uchi they responded back "Good luck at Northwestern."

Also Harvard got pissed because they didn't get my letter by snail mail, and they sent me a pissy letter about NU.

How catty of them.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:50 pm

byunbee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Nope. NU emailed UChi as well. When I emailed Uchi they responded back "Good luck at Northwestern."

How catty of them.

UChi's wasn't catty at all. Seemed Sincere. Harvard was being a dick. Apparently they are too good for email withdrawals.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”