LSAC fee waiver question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paulshortys10

LSAC fee waiver question

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:39 pm

I was born on 10/10/ 1986, so i'll be 24 this year. When I apply online for the fee waiver, it AUTOMATICALLY puts me as independent even though i'm still dependent on one of my parents and i live with her. I looked over the independent form and it's asking me for my wages and such but I haven't worked in 2 years (duh i'm dependent) so i didn't file taxes this year either.
I'm confused as to what to do?

gdane

Re: LSAC fee waiver question

Postby gdane » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Remember that an LSAC fee waiver is meant for those that NEED it. Actual need. Thats different from you just not wanting to pay. So if youre still dependant on a parent and that parent can pay for your applications and all that, then you dont need to fill out the fee waiver application.

In any case what you need to do is submit your information. If you have none, submit that anyway. If your application is denied, send in an appeal. That worked for me. Let them know your situation, send in whatever documentation they ask for and go from there.

Good luck!

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:02 pm

Well I've NEEDED financial aid for the past 4 years. My mom makes like 28,000 and has 3 dependents, including myself. Is there any way for me to fill in the dependent form?

Also. I'm signing up for the LSAT test right now, do it pay for it and get a refund later IF i qualify for the waiver?

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:20 pm

also I just graduated in June, So i received financial aid all through this year. Do i Include that in my app and say i'm still a student, or put im not a student and that i dont get any aid?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Dont register for anything! Dont! You will not be refunded. If you need to register for the LSAT do it at your own risk with the understanding that if your application is rejected you'll have to pay for the LSAT.

I would call LSAC tomorrow and ask them for specific information regarding your situation.

Good luck!

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:44 pm

So your mom has 3 dependents and makes 28k a year, and you can't be bothered to get a job?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:47 pm

I don't think you understand...it's a GOOD thing that you're considered independent due to your age, since you made no income the past 2 years!

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:03 am

yoitsmebenny wrote:So your mom has 3 dependents and makes 28k a year, and you can't be bothered to get a job?

you have no idea why I didn't work idiot...

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:30 am

Being automatically considered independent is what is going to get you the fee waiver. And yes you can sign up and pay for the LSAT now and when your fee waiver is approved you can apply to get a refund.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:17 am

paulshortys10 wrote:also I just graduated in June, So i received financial aid all through this year. Do i Include that in my app and say i'm still a student, or put im not a student and that i dont get any aid?

GET a job

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:12 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Being automatically considered independent is what is going to get you the fee waiver. And yes you can sign up and pay for the LSAT now and when your fee waiver is approved you can apply to get a refund.

Wait, really? I took it in June. Signed up for CAS/got a fee waiver in July. I can get my money back???

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:17 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:So your mom has 3 dependents and makes 28k a year, and you can't be bothered to get a job?

you have no idea why I didn't work idiot...

Enlighten me.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Being automatically considered independent is what is going to get you the fee waiver. And yes you can sign up and pay for the LSAT now and when your fee waiver is approved you can apply to get a refund.

Wait, really? I took it in June. Signed up for CAS/got a fee waiver in July. I can get my money back???

Bump, to see if there's anyone out there who can answer this Q...

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

Nope. It's not retroactive. I signed up for law services last year and I got a fee waiver this year. I sure as hell am NOT getting a refund.

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:42 pm

OP, just call LSAC for clarification.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:51 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

Nope. It's not retroactive. I signed up for law services last year and I got a fee waiver this year. I sure as hell am NOT getting a refund.

Did you try? Because you're just plain wrong. I took the LSAT last June, applied for my fee waiver in August when I was signing up for LSDAS, and found out about the refund in October. I emailed lsacinfo@lsac.org requesting the refund and was responded to in two days, then received the check a few weeks later. In short, yes, you can receive a refund at least if all you paid for was the LSAT. I would assume it applies to any other services as well.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:54 pm

So I e-mail them saying I have a fee waiver, and just request a refund of the June LSAT?

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 pm

I might have to call and ask again because I asked called and the person told me that since I registered with the service (and payed the 140 something dollars) last year and got the fee waiver this year, I could not get a refund. I believed her because logically (and economically) it makes little sense to reimburse someone for "products" that they already used. I took the Sept LSAT as well so if I am given a refund it would have to be $132 (Sept 2009 LSAT) and $140 for the LSDAS service.

We'll see....

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:00 pm

gdane5 wrote:I might have to call and ask again because I asked called and the person told me that since I registered with the service (and payed the 140 something dollars) last year and got the fee waiver this year, I could not get a refund. I believed her because logically (and economically) it makes little sense to reimburse someone for "products" that they already used. I took the Sept LSAT as well so if I am given a refund it would have to be $132 (Sept 2009 LSAT) and $140 for the LSDAS service.

We'll see....

Hmm did she emphasize that you couldn't get it because of the year separation? Only been a handful of months for me...

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:03 pm

gdane5 wrote:I might have to call and ask again because I asked called and the person told me that since I registered with the service (and payed the 140 something dollars) last year and got the fee waiver this year, I could not get a refund. I believed her because logically (and economically) it makes little sense to reimburse someone for "products" that they already used. I took the Sept LSAT as well so if I am given a refund it would have to be $132 (Sept 2009 LSAT) and $140 for the LSDAS service.

We'll see....

Hmmm. Maybe it's different if it's in a different year then? Or because you used the actual LSDAS service? Since the fee waiver covers multiple LSATs. Might be worth it to try again, for what it's worth the guy who responded to me was named Milt Klopfer. Sorry if I sounded snippy before, I'm more susceptible to "Somebody's Wrong on the Internet Syndrome" when I'm hungry. :lol:

Ildeuce, I think you should be ok. It was almost five months from when I took the test to when I requested it.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:09 pm

On the fee waiver application it asks how much you pay in rent/mortgage. When I applied I was 25, had filed taxes independently for 2 years, was making just above minimum wage, but paid no rent since I was temporarily living at home.

I didn't get the fee waiver. I hope you have better luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”