Could someone explain to me...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MVPson
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Could someone explain to me...

Postby MVPson » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Hannibal wrote:
MVPson wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Please tell me how my argument is counter to reality.

My argument: A lot of the fear over employment is over the grade of pay at employment rather than actual job prospects. My evidence is a bunch of threads about bad job prospects that mention the person's desire not to go to "shitlaw" or have too low of a salary to pay off loans.


I like how you ignored the part about bad grades. Honestly, I'm impressed. And, how could you call something a "job prospect" if the salary is too low to pay off your loans? Prospect implies intent. Intent implies desire or purpose. How could you honestly desire to work some shit personal injury job that wouldn't even support a living without moving into your mom and dad's basement?


In this post, you represent the person in my argument upset over grade of pay at employment. Your argument against me is that low paying jobs shouldn't even be considered jobs. Of course "low" in this case is pretty damn relative considering most people I know would get down on their hands and knees for 60k a year.

And yeah, if you get really bad grades it's going to suck. Are you disputing that?


--LinkRemoved--

MVPson
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Could someone explain to me...

Postby MVPson » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:51 pm

Hannibal wrote:
MVPson wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Please tell me how my argument is counter to reality.

My argument: A lot of the fear over employment is over the grade of pay at employment rather than actual job prospects. My evidence is a bunch of threads about bad job prospects that mention the person's desire not to go to "shitlaw" or have too low of a salary to pay off loans.


I like how you ignored the part about bad grades. Honestly, I'm impressed. And, how could you call something a "job prospect" if the salary is too low to pay off your loans? Prospect implies intent. Intent implies desire or purpose. How could you honestly desire to work some shit personal injury job that wouldn't even support a living without moving into your mom and dad's basement?


In this post, you represent the person in my argument upset over grade of pay at employment. Your argument against me is that low paying jobs shouldn't even be considered jobs. Of course "low" in this case is pretty damn relative considering most people I know would get down on their hands and knees for 60k a year.

And yeah, if you get really bad grades it's going to suck. Are you disputing that?


So wait, someone who falls barely outside the top 40% got really bad grades? Depending on the school, someone who falls outside the top 5% got really bad grades?

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Could someone explain to me...

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:55 pm

I didn't quantify what really bad grades were. I don't see why it would be necessary for my argument since the Biglaw point was the only one which I said were about pay grade rather than total prospects. Also, the entire point was about T14 schools in case you forgot, not bottom grades at Cooley.

Also, my argument was around T14 students being scared of employment prospects. The page you linked was about the average. And it just hammered in my original argument, since it was about all schools and the median was still 62k.

MVPson
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Could someone explain to me...

Postby MVPson » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:05 am

I see you are a master statistician. This is a bimodal chart. When something is bimodal that means there are two very likely outcomes. Which means the median is an inaccurate depiction of the future. Thus, pointing to the median as proof of your point is inaccurate.

Dude, I'm not trying to insult you. Granted, I was trying to insult you in the beginning. Now I just feel bad that you're so unaware of what you're getting into. Whatever.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Could someone explain to me...

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 am

Here's how the argument is going:

OP: If there are a bunch of people in T14s freaking out about employment, are t2-t4 just pumping out future unemployed grads?

Me: A lot of the fear is over whether they'll have to take a shitty job rather than there being no jobs.

You: You're wrong, because there's a much more likely chance of people having to take a shitty job now.

Your argument that a shitty job shouldn't be considered at all is stronger, but I wasn't arguing that people shouldn't be afraid about taking a low salary with their debt, so it wasn't even addressing my argument.

Have an argument with an imaginary position on your own time.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Could someone explain to me...

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:11 am

But anyway, have fun "investing" in your future.


Do your research and think long and hard about your decision.


Dude, I'm not trying to insult you. Granted, I was trying to insult you in the beginning. Now I just feel bad that you're so unaware of what you're getting into. Whatever.


I just wanted to insert one point here.

I don't mean to speak for Hannibal or the Class of 2013, but I for one am getting mighty sick and tired of people coming here acting like we "don't know what we're getting into" or that we "haven't really thought about how bad it is out there". Look dude, we have people saying what you're saying all the time. We all know that it's hard to get a job out there and we're all going to law school with that knowledge. It gets a tad tiresome hearing people spout off the same thing...talking off of the premise that we aren't aware of the economy and we're naive lemmings or something.

We aren't. We're adapting. We know what we're doing.
Last edited by billyez on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Could someone explain to me...

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:13 am

billyez wrote:I just wanted to insert one point here.

I don't mean to speak for Hannibal or the Class of 2013, but I for one am getting mighty sick and tired of people coming here acting like we "don't know what we're getting into" or that we "haven't really thought about how bad it is out there". Look dude, we have people saying what you're saying all the time. We all know that it's hard to get a job out there and we're all going to law school with that knowledge. It gets a tad tiresome hearing people spout off the same thing...talking off of the premise that we aren't aware of the economy and we're naive lemmings or something.

We aren't. We're adapting. We know what we're doing.


The funny thing is that MVPson hasn't even done OCIs yet. It's not like he's an unemployed JD floundering.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: timmyd and 5 guests