Questions on timing, early decision, and so forth...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheTallOne0602
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Questions on timing, early decision, and so forth...

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I had a few questions and they all roughly have to do with "admissions", I suppose, so this seemed as good as any. If there is a more appropriate choice that I missed, I apologize.

So anyway, my questions, in no apparent order:

I have a 4.0 and a disappointing 169 on my LSAT. I had been practicing in the 178-180 range (I only once got less than 178 out of a dozen-ish practice tests) but then three feet of snow fell on Pittsburgh, and my LSAT got cancelled, rescheduled, they didn’t tell me when it would be until a day before, and then a snow storm started up again, so even as I was walking into the test center I was not sure I would be taking the actual test. So I blew it.

Now I am wondering if I should re-take it in December (couldn’t take it in June) or try very hard to take it in October, where I would have to travel quite far to get to one. I am not sure how important timing is on these things.

Second question: Is it worth early decision applying to Georgetown, since I really would like to go there? The only problem is I wouldn’t want to apply there, get in but get absolutely no money, and then get offered tons of money somewhere else only to be stuck at G’Town. Not saying this is likely (if I knew what was likely I wouldn’t be asking, heh) but it would stink. Thoughts?

Third: when do you find out about money? Same time as whether you get in, or do you find out later? And, in general, when do you find out about getting in, for that matter…

Thanks for any of the help you could give me.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Questions on timing, early decision, and so forth...

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:17 pm

TheTallOne0602 wrote:
Now I am wondering if I should re-take it in December (couldn’t take it in June) or try very hard to take it in October, where I would have to travel quite far to get to one. I am not sure how important timing is on these things.

Second question: Is it worth early decision applying to Georgetown, since I really would like to go there? The only problem is I wouldn’t want to apply there, get in but get absolutely no money, and then get offered tons of money somewhere else only to be stuck at G’Town. Not saying this is likely (if I knew what was likely I wouldn’t be asking, heh) but it would stink. Thoughts?

Third: when do you find out about money? Same time as whether you get in, or do you find out later? And, in general, when do you find out about getting in, for that matter…

1) October is strongly preferable to December since it's rolling admissions.
2) Only really for you to decide. I wouldn't.
3) Depends on the specific school...for most you find out either at the same time or within a few days, though in the case of some scholarships(like some of NYU's full tuition ones that you have to apply for) you find out much later. When you find out tends to vary, esp. depending on when you applied. Some ppl who apply to Harvard hear back in November, and others not till April. Columbia RD doesn't hear back until January at the earliest. http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Questions on timing, early decision, and so forth...

Postby blurbz » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:44 pm

If you really were testing in the 178-180 range I would strongly consider a retatake and I would advise you to make it happen in October. While you would (likely) get into the same schools regardless of a 178 in October or a 178 in December, it could make a difference in money at the top of your list. It's worth it.

If you decide not to retake, you'll have full ride (or close) offers at all of the top 25, and you'll get into a number of T14s, some with money, I'm sure.

You're in a good position. How much is time/effort is YHS worth to you?

Good luck!

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Questions on timing, early decision, and so forth...

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:01 pm

You can get into G'town, take the LSAT in December, and if you do better, they will give you more money as long as you don't do ED.

If you decide to take the LSAT in October, I would advise you to find lodging near your test center and crash there the night before. The cost of 1 night at a motel is worth the peace of mind that you'd get opposed to driving a long distance beforehand. If I were you I would definitely go this route if you feel confident about taking the test in October, otherwise you run the risk of G'town giving you less money overall. If you do well in October, I would ALSO take the LSAT a third time in December, just to see if you can score a little better. A few more points can earn you, in most cases, more scholly money. My .02

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Questions on timing, early decision, and so forth...

Postby billyez » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:04 pm

I second not ED'ing to GT, whether you retake or not. I think you have a decent chance of getting in either way.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Questions on timing, early decision, and so forth...

Postby kazu » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:07 pm

blurbz wrote:If you really were testing in the 178-180 range I would strongly consider a retatake and I would advise you to make it happen in October.


+1. Please do retake, even 3 or 4 more points would mean a big difference. Also, if you are going to retake do not ED at Georgetown - if you really were PT-ing at 178~180, with some prep and in a more relaxing test-taking environment chances are you will score higher, which will probably make you regret that ED at Georgetown.

October is much more advisable than December. There's no guarantee that you will score in the 178~180 range, and if you end up scoring in the low 170s getting your apps in before Thanksgiving instead of after December will give you better chances overall.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11722
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Questions on timing, early decision, and so forth...

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:08 pm

I would think you'd be in at Georgetown with some money as a regular decision candidate.

If D.C. is your thing, why not ED to GW? Full tuition and living stipend if you get accepted.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests