______

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefullyLaw

______

Postby HopefullyLaw » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:29 pm

_____
Last edited by HopefullyLaw on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrictlyLiable

Re: Please Offer Constructive Criticism - Addendum

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:36 pm

Did you steal the documents? How did they charge you with theft? Overall, it seems good though.

HopefullyLaw

Postby HopefullyLaw » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:39 pm

I did not steal the documents personally. I received them via the postal service, which I admitted to the police before the arrest.

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:47 pm

I like it. It's short and sweet. Nice job!

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Wow that's crazy they could charge you with theft for that. You weren't convicted right? In that case, it might not be necessary for the addendum if it isn't going to show up on your record.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:58 pm

HopefullyLaw wrote:I did not steal the documents personally. I received them via the postal service, which I admitted to the police before the arrest.

Include this- it removes the question of what actions led directly to your arrest which the addendum raises in the readers mind.

I have to say, this addendum may be the rare one that adds something positive to your application - you took a personal risk to expose corruption and successfully did so - if you made any mistakes out of youthful enthusiasm you are willing to admit that but overall the incident reflects positively on you - at least from what you've written.

Good job

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:01 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
HopefullyLaw wrote:I did not steal the documents personally. I received them via the postal service, which I admitted to the police before the arrest.

Include this- it removes the question of what actions led directly to your arrest which the addendum raises in the readers mind.

I have to say, this addendum may be the rare one that adds something positive to your application - you took a personal risk to expose corruption and successfully did so - if you made any mistakes out of youthful enthusiasm you are willing to admit that but overall the incident reflects positively on you - at least from what you've written.

Good job

Agreed. I was left wondering what YOU personally did wrong. You might want to include this to show that the PD's charges were not appropriate and the whole reason it was ill-founded.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:42 am

HopefullyLaw wrote:Please offer any constructive criticism you have on the below addendum. I have yet to apply to law schools, but will be doing so soon. Thank you for your help.

Addendum
During the summer of 2006, I wrote a news story about corruption in the local police department. With a single-page document provided to me by a confidential source, I completely redacted all confidential information before publishing the material. The police department pressured me to disclose the name of my source, but I felt compelled to withhold the name because the promise I made to keep the individual’s name secret was my burden to bear. I exercised poor judgment when publishing the document even though it was a redacted copy.The police department waited until after I turned eighteen years old and then arrested me with the charge of theft in the fifth degree. Two days after I was arrested and released, the police chief was fired in a public city council meeting. The next month brought the resignation of another police officer that was involved with the corruption. The charge was eventually dropped and the name of my source was kept secret. The county attorney made the application for dismissal of the charge and the county magistrate dismissed the charge.

Good stuff. A couple suggestions:

I would strike that bit in the middle I put a line through. You have a great story, that's best transmitted and will likely have the greatest impact written as succinctly, straightforward and unemotionally as possible. Let the "poor judgment" call be the view of someone else; chances are many readers won't have that take, so why put it in their head?

I would also include the name of the newspaper somewhere. I feel it would provide the writeup with a bit more factual certainty.

HopefullyLaw

_____

Postby HopefullyLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:10 pm

______
Last edited by HopefullyLaw on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:32 pm

I like the new one better.

I think you did the right thing, and in fact I wish I could put this addendum on my application.

HopefullyLaw

Postby HopefullyLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:46 pm

I appreciate the help. If schools don't ask about any legal troubles other than convictions, should I include this addendum or not? Thank you!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”