Why is the general public so stupid?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bildungsroman

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Not being able to detect sarcasm from words typed on a computer screen is clearly based on my status as a 0L and has nothing to do with lack of intonation/the fact that a lot of people on TLS really do say shit like that. Thank you for your insight. I'll go crawl back into a hole for a few months until 1L has bestowed this magical gift of sarcasm detection upon me.

If you had read more closely you would have seen the following line:

Blindmelon wrote:Did law school rip out your common sense?

I wasn't attributing your sarcasm detection fail to your status as a 0L, just pointing out that law school is not the culprit.It would be pretty hypocritical for a 0L like me to mock others for their 0L status.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Not being able to detect sarcasm from words typed on a computer screen is clearly based on my status as a 0L and has nothing to do with lack of intonation/the fact that a lot of people on TLS really do say shit like that. Thank you for your insight. I'll go crawl back into a hole for a few months until 1L has bestowed this magical gift of sarcasm detection upon me.

thank god we take intro to sarcasm along with torts, contracts, and crimlaw. we'd never survive as lawyers without it.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

I wasn't attributing your sarcasm detection fail to your status as a 0L, just pointing out that law school is not the culprit.It would be pretty hypocritical for a 0L like me to mock others for their 0L status.

Gotcha. Now let's go back to discussing why the general public doesn't know USNWR rankings. Everyone is still shocked to hear I turned down GULC.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 pm

jayn3 wrote:

thank god we take intro to sarcasm along with torts, contracts, and crimlaw. we'd never survive as lawyers without it.

WTF, your school has intro to sar.....

...wait...

... I see what you did there.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Gotcha. Now let's go back to discussing why the general public doesn't know USNWR rankings. Everyone is still shocked to hear I turned down GULC.

Maybe if you didn't pick up on the sarcasm, its because BU is climbing in the rankings????? I mean, BU is ranked higher than Stanford in some of the specialty rankings!!! If I want do to tax, maybe I should take BU full tuition over Michigan???????!!!@!

(please note: this post was intended to be sarcastic. I am by NO MEANS a Stanford troll).

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:35 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt ALL HAIL - other than that ???

My guess would be Vandy, Brown... and perhaps Dartmouth?
I would think that Brown should be up there based on how difficult it is to get into their program.

However... this whole thing can be misleading, because the Med schools really have two sets of rankings. If you're referencing the primary care (or non-research) rankings, then I believe that Univ. of Washington is nearly always in the top 5 or so. And some of the others are not.

But in the end, I just don't pay as much attention to Med School rankings. And the Med schools don't care about them as much as law schools do either. I know that Harvard, J. Hopkins, WUSTL are always in the top three (the YHS, if you will), but beyond that, I don't pay much attention.

I thought Duke was in the top 3? Damn, i'm stupid.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:37 pm

newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??

Not knowing the names of the top colleges is more or less like not knowing the names of the current teenage fashion idols. It's not really relevant to most people's lives and it certainly doesn't make you stupid for not knowing them. In fact, the analogy goes further - talking about the minutiae of college rankings makes you an douchey fuck just as obnoxious as the chick that constantly tries to fill you in on the latest Miley Cyrus gossip.

fear&loathingintexas

Postby fear&loathingintexas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Keep in mind that only about 25% of the American public has a college degree or better (despite the myths that "everyone" graduates from college nowadays). And most people attend schools in their city or state without looking much beyond that. College admissions counselors are practically nonexistent in all but the best school districts. Most of my relatives don't know about any universities other than the ones that have good football teams. They're not "stupid" by any means - my uncle who never set foot in a college classroom makes six figures a year - they just didn't necessarily have a lot of the opportunities that someone like you might have had growing up.

One of my good friends just graduated from Dartmouth. No one in her family had ever heard of the school before she got accepted and decided to go there. She's also one of the few people in her family to attend college at all.

I don't mean to be rude but maybe you need to get your head out of the sand and stop being so condescending.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt ALL HAIL - other than that ???

My guess would be Vandy, Brown... and perhaps Dartmouth?
I would think that Brown should be up there based on how difficult it is to get into their program.

However... this whole thing can be misleading, because the Med schools really have two sets of rankings. If you're referencing the primary care (or non-research) rankings, then I believe that Univ. of Washington is nearly always in the top 5 or so. And some of the others are not.

But in the end, I just don't pay as much attention to Med School rankings. And the Med schools don't care about them as much as law schools do either. I know that Harvard, J. Hopkins, WUSTL are always in the top three (the YHS, if you will), but beyond that, I don't pay much attention.

I thought Duke was in the top 3? Damn, i'm stupid.

Lol, or not pre-med? Also, to the other poster, Brown has PLME--a program where high schoolers lock in half of the seats when they're accepted to undergrad. I'd imagine that's part of what makes it so difficult to get into.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”