Why is the general public so stupid? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Always Credited

Gold

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Post by Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:30 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Lol at people who judge intelligence from knowledge of facts.
--ImageRemoved--

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:35 pm

rv11 wrote:
newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??
Found the one that doesn't belong!
Lulz

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:38 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt ALL HAIL - other than that ???
My guess would be Vandy, Brown... and perhaps Dartmouth?
I would think that Brown should be up there based on how difficult it is to get into their program.

However... this whole thing can be misleading, because the Med schools really have two sets of rankings. If you're referencing the primary care (or non-research) rankings, then I believe that Univ. of Washington is nearly always in the top 5 or so. And some of the others are not.

But in the end, I just don't pay as much attention to Med School rankings. And the Med schools don't care about them as much as law schools do either. I know that Harvard, J. Hopkins, WUSTL are always in the top three (the YHS, if you will), but beyond that, I don't pay much attention.
Ding, moar like Harvard, Penn, Hopkins. Sorry about your tiny pink frontal lobotomy bro.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:55 pm

capitalacq wrote:
dakatz wrote:
newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??
That seems like a ridiculous gauge of "stupidity". I have numerous people in my family who are very successful at various trades. A few finished college but many didn't, and they became electricians, carpenters, etc. They make really nice livings for themselves based on their technical knowledge and experience, yet they don't know the first thing about which schools are good and which aren't. For example, I told them I got into U. Chicago and Cornell. They had never heard of Chicago, and one only knew Cornell since he loves college hockey. That makes them stupid? I don't think so.
They are stupid.
I hope you are joking, or else you are as pathetic as the OP.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:23 am

Veyron wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt ALL HAIL - other than that ???
My guess would be Vandy, Brown... and perhaps Dartmouth?
I would think that Brown should be up there based on how difficult it is to get into their program.

However... this whole thing can be misleading, because the Med schools really have two sets of rankings. If you're referencing the primary care (or non-research) rankings, then I believe that Univ. of Washington is nearly always in the top 5 or so. And some of the others are not.

But in the end, I just don't pay as much attention to Med School rankings. And the Med schools don't care about them as much as law schools do either. I know that Harvard, J. Hopkins, WUSTL are always in the top three (the YHS, if you will), but beyond that, I don't pay much attention.
Ding, moar like Harvard, Penn, Hopkins. Sorry about your tiny pink frontal lobotomy bro.
Look at the past 5 to 10 years worth of rankings, not just this year. You'll see what I'm talking about (or maybe you won't). Harvard then Hopkins, sure. But after that, usually it's WUSTL/Penn. But I guess not this year.

Again though, Med school students just don't care nearly as much. All of those top 10 or so schools are great. They just don't pick a different school because it is higher ranked in USNWR.

edit for typos.
Last edited by You Gotta Have Faith on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:27 am

Veyron wrote:
rv11 wrote:
Found the ones that don't belong!
Lulz
ftfeveryone

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:30 am

dakatz wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
dakatz wrote:
That seems like a ridiculous gauge of "stupidity". I have numerous people in my family who are very successful at various trades. A few finished college but many didn't, and they became electricians, carpenters, etc. They make really nice livings for themselves based on their technical knowledge and experience, yet they don't know the first thing about which schools are good and which aren't. For example, I told them I got into U. Chicago and Cornell. They had never heard of Chicago, and one only knew Cornell since he loves college hockey. That makes them stupid? I don't think so.
They are stupid.
I hope you are joking, or else you are as pathetic as the OP.
perhaps your stupidity is genetic then.

shoop

Bronze

Post by shoop » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:27 pm

I grew up in bumfuck nowhere, and no one from my hometown had heard of my top-20 UG that was only 500 miles from home. Most people from my high school didn't bother with college, so they had no practical need to waste brain space memorizing rankings or thinking about schools they were too dumb to get into, yanno?

On the flip side, there are probably a lot of people who attend NU law who don't know the best way to put obnoxiously large tires on a beat-up pickup truck, or the name of America's most famous rodeo champ, or the shake-n-bake process for methamphetamine synthesis, because they're not from a town/segment of society that values those sorts of skills and knowledge. I think OP is making a big jump in equating lack of law school ranking knowledge with general stupidity, when it's really more a matter of context and relevance. It doesn't surprise me at all that most people who don't aspire to the legal professions don't know much about law schools.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:42 pm

I've had a similar experience as OP! I was telling my family about how I really wanted to go to Yale and they seemed unimpressed. YET, when I told them I had friends going to other similarly elite schools like Harvard, Columbia, BU, and U Chicago, they were totally impressed!

Why are people so dumb????

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Blindmelon wrote:I've had a similar experience as OP! I was telling my family about how I really wanted to go to Yale and they seemed unimpressed. YET, when I told them I had friends going to other similarly elite schools like Harvard, Columbia, BU, and U Chicago, they were totally impressed!

I don't get why that would be dumb? who the fuck really wants to go to yale

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Blindmelon wrote:I've had a similar experience as OP! I was telling my family about how I really wanted to go to Yale and they seemed unimpressed. YET, when I told them I had friends going to other similarly elite schools like Harvard, Columbia, BU, and U Chicago, they were totally impressed!

I don't get why that would be dumb? who the fuck really wants to go to yale

dramaticpaws

New

Post by dramaticpaws » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Maybe because you wanting to go somewhere isn't nearly as impressive as people who are actually attending prestigious programs...

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:21 pm

dramaticpaws wrote:

Maybe because you wanting to go somewhere isn't nearly as impressive as people who are actually attending prestigious programs...
I'd really like to go to Yale, too. EVERYONE BE IMPRESSED WITH ME!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
dramaticpaws wrote:

I'd really like to go to Yale, too. EVERYONE BE IMPRESSED WITH ME!
. . . nevermind.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:24 pm

dramaticpaws wrote:

lol@ his family knowing he probably wouldn't get in.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:29 pm

No, what are you aren't understanding is that university prestige is largely regional...never mind. I wanted to top this thing off with some gas, but I guess I'll let everyone go back to demonstrating how understanding and non-elitist they are.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:30 pm

jmhendri wrote:
dramaticpaws wrote:

lol@ his family knowing he probably wouldn't get in.
I think its more common knowledge that schools like Harvard, Columbia, BU and UChicago have more prestige than schools like Yale, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Blindmelon wrote: I think its more common knowledge that schools like Harvard, Columbia, BU and UChicago have more prestige than schools like Yale, etc.
LOL!

QF hilarity.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Blindmelon wrote: I think its more common knowledge that schools like Harvard, Columbia, BU and UChicago have more prestige than schools like Yale, etc.
LOL!

QF hilarity.
srsly!!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
LOL!

QF hilarity.
::facepalm:: I can't take it anymore... seriously. I was being sarcastic. OP is obviously a BC troll - I go to BU so I was mimicking. How do you people not get this? Did law school rip out your common sense?
Last edited by Blindmelon on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
LOL!

QF hilarity.
QF for the most heinous UChi trolling of all time.

People in chicago confuse UChi with University of Illinois at Chicago repeatedly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
LOL!

QF hilarity.
QF for the most heinous UChi trolling of all time.

People in chicago confuse UChi with University of Illinois at Chicago repeatedly.
Yup, I'm a UChicago troll. You got me!

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
::facepalm:: I can't take it anymore... seriously. I was being sarcastic. OP is obviously a BC troll - I go to BU so I was mimicking. How do you people not get this? Did law school rip out your common sense?
TLS has thrashed my subtle sarcasm detector.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
LOL!

QF hilarity.
To be fair, that sarcasm detection fail was the product of a cluster of 0Ls.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
LOL!

QF hilarity.
To be fair, that sarcasm detection fail was the product of a cluster of 0Ls.
Not being able to detect sarcasm from words typed on a computer screen is clearly based on my status as a 0L and has nothing to do with lack of intonation/the fact that a lot of people on TLS really do say shit like that. Thank you for your insight. I'll go crawl back into a hole for a few months until 1L has bestowed this magical gift of sarcasm detection upon me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”