Why is the general public so stupid?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Oban

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Oban » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:48 am

I know UW is one of them

SuperFreak

Postby SuperFreak » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:15 am

What does knowing law schools, and universities in general, have to do with being "smart" or "stupid"?

I'm just a little curious here. I have a scant number of people in my circle who care about where I went to school. Does that make the vast majority of my circle dumb?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:29 am

im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt

UW-Seattle is #1 in Primary Care and has been for years. It's also #6 or #7 in Research; so that's an easy one. UW-Seattle is the top medical school in the country overall! Vandy is not top-15 in Primary Care but is #15 in Research. Pitt is not top-15 in Primary Care but is #14 in Research.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:02 am

rv11 wrote:
newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??

Found the one that doesn't belong!

I found 4.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:07 am

Why is the general public so stupid?

Because it is comprised of people like you.

calbears619

Postby calbears619 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:31 am

OP: Just because people don't go running to the newstands as soon as the new USNWR rankings come out doesn't make them stupid..On the other hand posting an online rant about stupidity that has grammatical errors might qualify as stupid

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:49 am

I think (perhaps erroneously) I'm a fairly intelligent and worldly guy, but, prior to entering this process myself, I'd never heard of T14, T, TT, TTT, vault, etc. There are examples of jargon in all facets of life. I'm sure OP would have glazed over with disinterest at many topics. Perhaps NASCAR, crop rotation, interior design, cricket, or macrame aren't OP's cup of tea, but be assured, your clients aren't necessarily going to be carbon copies of each other, and they'll quickly find other representation if they feel patronized. Grow up, or at least spit out the silver spoon before you enter the real world.

slacker

Postby slacker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 am

Not wasting time learning/memorizing useless crap like law school rankings is not stupid. It's intelligent and incredibly basic time management. The reason you know about law school rankings is because you're interested in law school. Why should anyone else care?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:25 am

This has to be the poorest attempt at a flame on TLS in quite a while.

MiamiUG

Postby MiamiUG » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 am

newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??

Blatant pro-BC trolling

JoePaternoYoDaddy

Postby JoePaternoYoDaddy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:12 pm

MiamiUG wrote:
Blatant pro-BC trolling
Blatant anti stanford trolling you piece of shit!

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:39 pm

No, OP is angry because he/she wants to be recognized as a very important person.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:40 pm

OP wants his knowledge of school rankings to be more important than their knowledge that awareness of the rankings doesn't matter.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:58 pm

im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt

Bah... so I went ahead and looked them up because I am curious (even though I think this whole thread was either a flame or at the least pointless).

With research, the ones in the top 15 are:
Univ. of Washington (6)
Pittsburgh (14)
Vanderbilt (15)

And for primary care, the ones in the top 15 are:
Univ. of Washington (1)
Pittsburgh (12)
And that's all.

So there ya are. Voilá. Im blue makes a good point about the fact that the average person wouldn't just know off the top of their head which ones are in the top 15. However, I would emphasize one more time that med schools (and for that matter, med students) aren't nearly as obsessed with the rankings as their law counterparts. I think part of that is that the entry into the med profession is difficult enough as it already is. None of these med schools are particularly easy to get into. Whereas, in law school, it isn't quite as hard to get into a law school somewhere. So law schools and students alike end up creating some form of a hierarchy where the more difficult schools to gain entry into are seen as much more prestigious. This isn't necessarily bad all the time. There can be drawbacks, but I think it is just the reality of the situation. There doesn't seem to be another way of doing it given the fact that some schools really are quite easy to get into.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:07 pm

MIT Law is a powerhouse, that's for sure.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Your family sucks.

/thread

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:48 pm

While the general populous IS stupid, the measure of that is not their knowledge of university "prestige". To say someone is stupid because they don't know much about a school they never went to and care little about is an idiotic statement.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:49 pm

SBL wrote:MIT Law is a powerhouse, that's for sure.

True. They rank right up there with Dartmouth.

Ivy0329

Postby Ivy0329 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:53 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??

Some people, not me, OBVIOUSLY, are sticklers for grammar. For example, I could read your paragraph, notice how you incorrectly used "than," and use that information to assume that you, and others who don't have a good grasp of homophones are uneducated imbeciles. But I won't. Maybe you should do the same.

Lol. Well played my friend.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:19 pm

SBL wrote:MIT Law is a powerhouse, that's for sure.

I disagree. I definitely wouldn't consider it a powerhouse. Princeton Law, however, is.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:07 pm

dakatz wrote:

That seems like a ridiculous gauge of "stupidity". I have numerous people in my family who are very successful at various trades. A few finished college but many didn't, and they became electricians, carpenters, etc. They make really nice livings for themselves based on their technical knowledge and experience, yet they don't know the first thing about which schools are good and which aren't. For example, I told them I got into U. Chicago and Cornell. They had never heard of Chicago, and one only knew Cornell since he loves college hockey. That makes them stupid? I don't think so.

They are stupid.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:09 pm

esq wrote:Most people aren't familiar with what they haven't experienced. You know which law schools are good because it's what you are all about, but if your friend mentioned that they were accepted to Kendall College, would you be doing back flips because you knew your friend just got into one of the best culinary schools in the world? I think not. Develop some tolerance and understanding for others.

Great post. /thread.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:16 pm

newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??

OP probably looked completely pretentious to his unimpressed family during this.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:17 pm

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Lol at people who judge intelligence from knowledge of facts.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”