Why is the general public so stupid?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Oban » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:48 am

I know UW is one of them

SuperFreak
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 7:11 am

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby SuperFreak » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:15 am

What does knowing law schools, and universities in general, have to do with being "smart" or "stupid"?

I'm just a little curious here. I have a scant number of people in my circle who care about where I went to school. Does that make the vast majority of my circle dumb?

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby PDaddy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:29 am

im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt


UW-Seattle is #1 in Primary Care and has been for years. It's also #6 or #7 in Research; so that's an easy one. UW-Seattle is the top medical school in the country overall! Vandy is not top-15 in Primary Care but is #15 in Research. Pitt is not top-15 in Primary Care but is #14 in Research.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:02 am

rv11 wrote:
newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??


Found the one that doesn't belong!

I found 4.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:07 am

Why is the general public so stupid?

Because it is comprised of people like you.

calbears619
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby calbears619 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:31 am

OP: Just because people don't go running to the newstands as soon as the new USNWR rankings come out doesn't make them stupid..On the other hand posting an online rant about stupidity that has grammatical errors might qualify as stupid

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:49 am

I think (perhaps erroneously) I'm a fairly intelligent and worldly guy, but, prior to entering this process myself, I'd never heard of T14, T, TT, TTT, vault, etc. There are examples of jargon in all facets of life. I'm sure OP would have glazed over with disinterest at many topics. Perhaps NASCAR, crop rotation, interior design, cricket, or macrame aren't OP's cup of tea, but be assured, your clients aren't necessarily going to be carbon copies of each other, and they'll quickly find other representation if they feel patronized. Grow up, or at least spit out the silver spoon before you enter the real world.

slacker
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby slacker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 am

Not wasting time learning/memorizing useless crap like law school rankings is not stupid. It's intelligent and incredibly basic time management. The reason you know about law school rankings is because you're interested in law school. Why should anyone else care?

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:25 am

This has to be the poorest attempt at a flame on TLS in quite a while.

User avatar
MiamiUG
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby MiamiUG » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 am

newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??



Blatant pro-BC trolling

JoePaternoYoDaddy
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby JoePaternoYoDaddy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:12 pm

MiamiUG wrote:
newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??
Blatant pro-BC trolling
Blatant anti stanford trolling you piece of shit!

GettingReady2010
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby GettingReady2010 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:39 pm

No, OP is angry because he/she wants to be recognized as a very important person.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:40 pm

OP wants his knowledge of school rankings to be more important than their knowledge that awareness of the rankings doesn't matter.

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:58 pm

im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt


Bah... so I went ahead and looked them up because I am curious (even though I think this whole thread was either a flame or at the least pointless).

With research, the ones in the top 15 are:
Univ. of Washington (6)
Pittsburgh (14)
Vanderbilt (15)

And for primary care, the ones in the top 15 are:
Univ. of Washington (1)
Pittsburgh (12)
And that's all.

So there ya are. Voilá. Im blue makes a good point about the fact that the average person wouldn't just know off the top of their head which ones are in the top 15. However, I would emphasize one more time that med schools (and for that matter, med students) aren't nearly as obsessed with the rankings as their law counterparts. I think part of that is that the entry into the med profession is difficult enough as it already is. None of these med schools are particularly easy to get into. Whereas, in law school, it isn't quite as hard to get into a law school somewhere. So law schools and students alike end up creating some form of a hierarchy where the more difficult schools to gain entry into are seen as much more prestigious. This isn't necessarily bad all the time. There can be drawbacks, but I think it is just the reality of the situation. There doesn't seem to be another way of doing it given the fact that some schools really are quite easy to get into.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby 20160810 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:07 pm

MIT Law is a powerhouse, that's for sure.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23912
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Thirteen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm

newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??


Your family sucks.

/thread

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Bosque » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:48 pm

While the general populous IS stupid, the measure of that is not their knowledge of university "prestige". To say someone is stupid because they don't know much about a school they never went to and care little about is an idiotic statement.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Bosque » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:49 pm

SBL wrote:MIT Law is a powerhouse, that's for sure.


True. They rank right up there with Dartmouth.

Ivy0329
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:22 am

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Ivy0329 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:53 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??


Some people, not me, OBVIOUSLY, are sticklers for grammar. For example, I could read your paragraph, notice how you incorrectly used "than," and use that information to assume that you, and others who don't have a good grasp of homophones are uneducated imbeciles. But I won't. Maybe you should do the same.


Lol. Well played my friend.

GettingReady2010
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby GettingReady2010 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:19 pm

SBL wrote:MIT Law is a powerhouse, that's for sure.


I disagree. I definitely wouldn't consider it a powerhouse. Princeton Law, however, is.

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby capitalacq » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:07 pm

dakatz wrote:
newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??


That seems like a ridiculous gauge of "stupidity". I have numerous people in my family who are very successful at various trades. A few finished college but many didn't, and they became electricians, carpenters, etc. They make really nice livings for themselves based on their technical knowledge and experience, yet they don't know the first thing about which schools are good and which aren't. For example, I told them I got into U. Chicago and Cornell. They had never heard of Chicago, and one only knew Cornell since he loves college hockey. That makes them stupid? I don't think so.

They are stupid.

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby dbt » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:09 pm

esq wrote:Most people aren't familiar with what they haven't experienced. You know which law schools are good because it's what you are all about, but if your friend mentioned that they were accepted to Kendall College, would you be doing back flips because you knew your friend just got into one of the best culinary schools in the world? I think not. Develop some tolerance and understanding for others.


Great post. /thread.

GettingReady2010
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby GettingReady2010 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:16 pm

newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??


OP probably looked completely pretentious to his unimpressed family during this.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Image

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Lol at people who judge intelligence from knowledge of facts.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests