Why is the general public so stupid?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
newrich

Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby newrich » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:27 pm

So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??

jdhopeful11

Re: Why is the general public so stupid?

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:27 pm

media, popular culture, etc

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:30 pm

newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??
Last edited by thecilent on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esq

Postby esq » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Most people aren't familiar with what they haven't experienced. You know which law schools are good because it's what you are all about, but if your friend mentioned that they were accepted to Kendall College, would you be doing back flips because you knew your friend just got into one of the best culinary schools in the world? I think not. Develop some tolerance and understanding for others.

rv11

Postby rv11 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:55 pm

newrich wrote:So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??

Found the one that doesn't belong!

Oban

Postby Oban » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:01 pm

All Politics are Local

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:02 pm

lol

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:05 pm

That seems like a ridiculous gauge of "stupidity". I have numerous people in my family who are very successful at various trades. A few finished college but many didn't, and they became electricians, carpenters, etc. They make really nice livings for themselves based on their technical knowledge and experience, yet they don't know the first thing about which schools are good and which aren't. For example, I told them I got into U. Chicago and Cornell. They had never heard of Chicago, and one only knew Cornell since he loves college hockey. That makes them stupid? I don't think so.
Last edited by dakatz on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:06 pm

esq wrote:Develop some tolerance and understanding for others.

Well, that's good advice for most people.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:14 pm

because none of that shit really matters. nobody likes a braggart

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:28 pm

I think my family is stupid for making a big deal out of going to Northwestern.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:29 pm

Your family gets bonus intelligence points for being unimpressed with Northwestttern.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

So, I was just at a family bbq. And my older cousin was telling people that he was going to Northwestern Law School. Yet, no one even made a big deal about it, until I chimed in. Than, out of curiosity, I named some other universities, such as MIT, Penn, Duke, Dartmouth, Cornell, Boston College, etc. And no one besides my cousin knew that they were good colleges. Why are people so uninformed or uneducated??

Some people, not me, OBVIOUSLY, are sticklers for grammar. For example, I could read your paragraph, notice how you incorrectly used "than," and use that information to assume that you, and others who don't have a good grasp of homophones are uneducated imbeciles. But I won't. Maybe you should do the same.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:33 pm

rv11 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122510&p=3167348#p3167348
newrich wrote:Yeah, I know this is out of place but. I was gonna be a lawyer and was under the impression that undergrad didnt matter. So, I took a half ride to Boston College over nothing at cornell. But, I decided to go into business so undergrad does matter. Even if i get an mba. SO, I have a 3.9 at BC with a ton of EC's...Chances at cornell?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rv11 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122510&p=3167348#p3167348
newrich wrote:Yeah, I know this is out of place but. I was gonna be a lawyer and was under the impression that undergrad didnt matter. So, I took a half ride to Boston College over nothing at cornell. But, I decided to go into business so undergrad does matter. Even if i get an mba. SO, I have a 3.9 at BC with a ton of EC's...Chances at cornell?

Lol

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Maybe you learned that this whole USNWR T14 prestige thing isnt as big as you thought it was. Sure it matters to some people in the legal field, but for the most part if a person needs a lawyer they're going to go with whomever they can get to quickest. T14, Harvard, Yale, etc etc doesnt matter. Word of mouth is usually how people find their lawyers.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:08 pm

General Tso wrote:because none of that shit really matters. nobody likes a braggart

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:13 pm

The general public is stupid. But this isn't a manifestation.

I could name a few top medical schools. But after the first several names I couldn't differentiate between them.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:17 pm

maybe they knew that you're an obnoxious troll and they realize feeding your ego is unwise. Or maybe they don't give a shit at all.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Hokay, while I agree that the masses really aren't that bright, this is a poor example. What you're talking about isn't an example of stupidity. I would guess that those colleges are primarily familiar to those from upper-middle to upper class communities where individuals primarily work in professional or technical jobs.

Those particular communities only know because tend to be obsessed, and therefore familiar, with the prestige of undergraduates for their darling children to attend. Even then often only use the undergrad reputation to judge the grad schools (which is why Georgetown or Cornell Law gets a lot of "oohs" and "ahhs" while UVa Law gets blank stares--their reputations are reversed for undergrad).

So, yes, not stupid, it just means they never sat around as a 17 year old being like "Hmm I got wait listed at Princeton, guess I'm going to UChicago" or "Damn...I got rejected by all the Ivys...I guess I'm going to Northwestern undergrad..." or "MIT or Caltech? So hard to decide..."

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:56 am

Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:09 am

im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt ALL HAIL - other than that ???

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:16 am

stratocophic wrote:
im_blue wrote:Three of the following med schools are ranked in the top 15. The others are not in the top 30. Without looking at US News, name the three.

Boston Univ
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Univ of Washington
USC
Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt ALL HAIL - other than that ???

My guess would be Vandy, Brown... and perhaps Dartmouth?
I would think that Brown should be up there based on how difficult it is to get into their program.

However... this whole thing can be misleading, because the Med schools really have two sets of rankings. If you're referencing the primary care (or non-research) rankings, then I believe that Univ. of Washington is nearly always in the top 5 or so. And some of the others are not.

But in the end, I just don't pay as much attention to Med School rankings. And the Med schools don't care about them as much as law schools do either. I know that Harvard, J. Hopkins, WUSTL are always in the top three (the YHS, if you will), but beyond that, I don't pay much attention.

Oban

Postby Oban » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:48 am

I know UW is one of them

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”