George Washington Early Decision/Presidential Merit Scholars Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
adammac17

Bronze

George Washington Early Decision/Presidential Merit Scholars

Post by adammac17 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Anyone applied/been accepted to this program in the past? I looked on LSN and i think people with #s comparable to mine have gotten it in the past 169 3.44 Non-Urm

Im not at all sure GW would be my 1st choice......is this worth applying for anyways?

calbears619

New

Re: George Washington Early Decision/Presidential Merit Scholars

Post by calbears619 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:51 am

No if you're not absolutely sure you want to go somewhere you shouldn't apply ED...With your numbers you might be able to get into a lower T-14 (but definitely not on a full scholarship)

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:26 am

Your numbers won't get any T14 except possibly Cornell, so GW ED is a fine choice IMO.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:12 pm

well has anyone applied to this program b4?

my understanding is that is only a biding ED IF they offer you the full presidential scholarship, if not you go to RD..........am i reading this wrong??

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:21 pm

That is true. . .if you get sent to RD it is no longer binding. You are only under binding decision if you get the scholarship offer. Also, some of those who go to RD still get a full scholarship but are not part of the program with mentor and are not under binding. . .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:30 pm

adammac17 wrote:well has anyone applied to this program b4?

my understanding is that is only a biding ED IF they offer you the full presidential scholarship, if not you go to RD..........am i reading this wrong??

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx
Right, so if you apply ED and get in with the full scholarship, then you have to attend. Otherwise, they may still admit you for RD without the scholarship, but you're not committed to attend.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:18 pm

thanks for the help

am i wrong in thinking it'd be stupid of me NOT to do this??!?! lsn has several people with comparable scores to mine getting full schol'ies and my chances are likely UIUC, WUSTL w/ $ and an outside chance at t14 at sticker.........this would be great if i got it and nbd if i didnt right?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:32 am

GW's ED deadline is typically fairly late (December, IIRC), so you could go and check out the school if that would help you decide if ED is for you. If you really dislike it, problem solved. If you love it, problem also solved. If you're kind of "meh", well...then you need to decide how big an issue debt is to you.

I'm not really sure that you have GW ED numbers. Those typically go to people with T-14 numbers, a trend that appears to have continued based on LSN (168/3.9, 172/3.9, 169/3.86). Bear in mind that those on LSN who received $105k (approximately) are NOT people who got in ED -- they're RD admits.

However, if you would be happy going there and/or you are extremely debt averse, it's worth a shot. If you don't get it, it's not a big deal if you don't get it, no. You'll still have a really good shot (with money even) RD and if you do get the Presidential Scholarship...sweet (only paying for supplies and COL is a nice deal).

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:20 am

I don't think you are going to get in via ED. You have numbers for the 105,450 offer, though, which is via RD. I would personally avoid ED in your case unless you are sure you would prefer GW over WUSTL/USC/UCLA/Vanderbilt/UT/Cornell

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”