New LSAC Evaluation Service

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:12 pm

I emailed admissions offices regarding this service and they refered to it as water down personal statements that they will not require

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby thewarflamingo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Can any of y'all even log into the new LSAC site? I tried on Firefox and Explorer, but it keeps popping up an error message saying the page can't load/be displayed. Anyone have success logging in?


Yesterday they had a warning saying the LSDAS service will be unavailable today. They should have disabled the login link. But they didn't. I think it will be back tomorrow.

I have never been a part of a smooth re-launch/site update, so expect things to be buggy for a little while. But your data should be safe, this looks like a re-facing, not a structural change.


Oh ok, I didn't go to the website yesterday so I didn't see the warning. Thanks!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:49 pm

I e-mailed:

B, S, BC, BU, UCLA, and Hastings about this and the general consensus is in keeping with what everyone's said so far on this thread.

In other news, I was just able to access the LSAC site in thorough fashion at 12:35 PDT today.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Deuce » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I e-mailed:

B, S, BC, BU, UCLA, and Hastings about this and the general consensus is in keeping with what everyone's said so far on this thread.

In other news, I was just able to access the LSAC site in thorough fashion at 12:35 PDT today.


Keeping with what everyone said as in... go ahead and skip them if you have 2-4 LORs?

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I e-mailed:

B, S, BC, BU, UCLA, and Hastings about this and the general consensus is in keeping with what everyone's said so far on this thread.

In other news, I was just able to access the LSAC site in thorough fashion at 12:35 PDT today.


Keeping with what everyone said as in... go ahead and skip them if you have 2-4 LORs?


Yea, and further that it's optional for this cycle, and might actually not take hold completely as a "replacement" for LoRs, but as a supplement.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:41 pm

but they are kind of cool , no? they can put you in numbers and write stuff about you....

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I e-mailed:

B, S, BC, BU, UCLA, and Hastings about this and the general consensus is in keeping with what everyone's said so far on this thread.

In other news, I was just able to access the LSAC site in thorough fashion at 12:35 PDT today.


Keeping with what everyone said as in... go ahead and skip them if you have 2-4 LORs?


Yea, and further that it's optional for this cycle, and might actually not take hold completely as a "replacement" for LoRs, but as a supplement.

did they say which ones were preffered?

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Nulli Secundus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:51 pm

This service is kinda dangerous though. Your evaluators cannot score you highest for all categories since it will not be believable, and the categories they dock points from to break the uniformity will be much more pronounced as your lacking aspects. For example, all flying colors but a lower score for social skills or something like that, AdComms will automatically think that you have a real problem in that department.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:00 pm

nullisecundus wrote:This service is kinda dangerous though. Your evaluators cannot score you highest for all categories since it will not be believable, and the categories they dock points from to break the uniformity will be much more pronounced as your lacking aspects. For example, all flying colors but a lower score for social skills or something like that, AdComms will automatically think that you have a real problem in that department.

true...very true....

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:02 pm

From what I heard is that this will be optional if you cant get good reqs but you need LORs still it is a must

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:27 pm

UF's app became avail and I started it and under Evaluations it says "None Accepted"

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Deuce » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Barbie wrote:UF's app became avail and I started it and under Evaluations it says "None Accepted"


What I like to hear. I hope this eval. thing flames out.

User avatar
starlight007
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:16 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby starlight007 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Same with UVA. It's baffling how they want professionals to create a fricking account just to evaluate us. Some of us have to track down reccommenders doing a letter in a timely fashion, and now you want these people to create accounts? I really wanted to do this, sadly not anymore.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:12 pm

starlight007 wrote:Same with UVA. It's baffling how they want professionals to create a fricking account just to evaluate us. Some of us have to track down reccommenders doing a letter in a timely fashion, and now you want these people to create accounts? I really wanted to do this, sadly not anymore.


Presumable professors would get eval requests constantly, so they'd have an account. This way they can also track the average numbers from each recommender.

User avatar
moxiepostulate
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby moxiepostulate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:52 pm

So, I'm a procrastinating little fucker. While I asked for my recommendations months ago, I only supplied them copies of my PS, DS, Resume and form/envelop this week. Asking they submit them by October 1st so as not to be a complete douche, but also to be able to submit on time. Sigh... *shakes head at self*

So.... I assigned the same people as evaluators, but informed them that it's optional as only half of the schools seem to be accepting them. I'm only asking them for one general letter, so if they feel like going through the extra hassle then great, if not, that's great too. I figure a relaxed attitude is best in this situation.

I'm about *thisclose* to praying to the cult of LSAC. If I can just kick October's test in the man purse then all this recommendation/PS anxiety will fade into nothing but a funny memory...

All hail the great and powerful LSAC!
(*clicking heels* There's no place like Yale, there's no place like Yale...)

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:57 pm

moxiepostulate wrote:
I'm about *thisclose* to praying to the cult of LSAC.

All hail the great and powerful LSAC!
(*clicking heels* There's no place like Yale, there's no place like Yale...)


Hahaha.

I remember discussing what kinds of ceremonial sacrifices LSAC would accept in order to get our LSAT scores ...

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:04 pm

kazu wrote:
moxiepostulate wrote:
I'm about *thisclose* to praying to the cult of LSAC.

All hail the great and powerful LSAC!
(*clicking heels* There's no place like Yale, there's no place like Yale...)


Hahaha.

I remember discussing what kinds of ceremonial sacrifices LSAC would accept in order to get our LSAT scores ...


Mine failed. I must have not pleased the LSAT gods enough :'(. I need to think of a better sacrifice for October.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Knockglock wrote:Mine failed. I must have not pleased the LSAT gods enough :'(. I need to think of a better sacrifice for October.


:cry: Ours were more the "can we pleeeeeeeasaase get our scores earlier?!?!" type of sacrifices, rather than the actual score... of course the scores all came out during their own time so I don't think they worked either :roll:

I remember several people suggesting "LSAT dances" (aka rain dances), instructions on how to make an "LSAT stick", as well as candy, stuffed animals, burning LSAT material etc. Also the slaying of pigs/sheep/cows was suggested - don't know if anyone actually carried that out :lol:


Edit: Happy 1000th post to me!! :oops:
Last edited by kazu on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:46 pm

kazu wrote:
Knockglock wrote:Mine failed. I must have not pleased the LSAT gods enough :'(. I need to think of a better sacrifice for October.


:cry: Ours were more the "can we pleeeeeeeasaase get our scores earlier?!?!" type of sacrifices, rather than the actual score... of course the scores all came out during their own time so I don't think they worked either :roll:

I remember several people suggesting "LSAT dances" (aka rain dances), instructions on how to make an "LSAT stick", as well as candy, stuffed animals, burning LSAT material etc. Also the slaying of pigs/sheep/cows was suggested - don't know if anyone actually carried that out :lol:


I'm planning on sacrificing a 180 LSAT scorer for my October retake :).

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:51 pm

This service seems stupid. If your recommenders aren't marking you as 'Top 1-2%' (or whatever the highest is), you're doing it wrong.

I feel like everybody's going to have roughly the same numerical evaluation, rendering it pointless. The point of letters is that there are so many more word choices, and strength of language can vary so much, that you can tell differences between applicants whose recommenders would all rate them the same.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Knockglock wrote:
kazu wrote:
Knockglock wrote:Mine failed. I must have not pleased the LSAT gods enough :'(. I need to think of a better sacrifice for October.


:cry: Ours were more the "can we pleeeeeeeasaase get our scores earlier?!?!" type of sacrifices, rather than the actual score... of course the scores all came out during their own time so I don't think they worked either :roll:

I remember several people suggesting "LSAT dances" (aka rain dances), instructions on how to make an "LSAT stick", as well as candy, stuffed animals, burning LSAT material etc. Also the slaying of pigs/sheep/cows was suggested - don't know if anyone actually carried that out :lol:


I'm planning on sacrificing a 180 LSAT scorer for my October retake :).


Have you caught one already? I feel like, as your second sugar momma I'm responsible for providing some kind of assistance.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 pm

eskimo wrote:This service seems stupid. If your recommenders aren't marking you as 'Top 1-2%' (or whatever the highest is), you're doing it wrong.

I feel like everybody's going to have roughly the same numerical evaluation, rendering it pointless. The point of letters is that there are so many more word choices, and strength of language can vary so much, that you can tell differences between applicants whose recommenders would all rate them the same.


This. Although I am skeptical of the effectiveness of recommendations in the first place for a few reasons.

Are we the same person?!? Soon we will be finishing each other's ....

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:58 pm

Knockglock wrote:
eskimo wrote:This service seems stupid. If your recommenders aren't marking you as 'Top 1-2%' (or whatever the highest is), you're doing it wrong.

I feel like everybody's going to have roughly the same numerical evaluation, rendering it pointless. The point of letters is that there are so many more word choices, and strength of language can vary so much, that you can tell differences between applicants whose recommenders would all rate them the same.


This. Although I am skeptical of the effectiveness of recommendations in the first place for a few reasons.

Are we the same person?!? Soon we will be finishing each other's ....

Ice cream sundaes at Cold Stone?!
Or sentences... whatever.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:04 am

eskimo wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
eskimo wrote:This service seems stupid. If your recommenders aren't marking you as 'Top 1-2%' (or whatever the highest is), you're doing it wrong.

I feel like everybody's going to have roughly the same numerical evaluation, rendering it pointless. The point of letters is that there are so many more word choices, and strength of language can vary so much, that you can tell differences between applicants whose recommenders would all rate them the same.


This. Although I am skeptical of the effectiveness of recommendations in the first place for a few reasons.

Are we the same person?!? Soon we will be finishing each other's ....

Ice cream sundaes at Cold Stone?!
Or sentences... whatever.


Wow that was amazing! that was totally what I was going to say!

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Postby FlanAl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:50 am

Need an opinion.

I am thinking about having my dissertation (guess some schools call it an "honors thesis") advisor fill one of these evaluations out. I like the idea of doing one of these for two reasons 1 I did very well on my dissertation 2 Because I only met with my advisor once for about 15 minutes period. The evaluation questions make it seem like he can pretty much just transplant my dissertation grade over to the form for most of them and not have to write some story about me (i'd be pretty impressed if he could come up with something for the 15min we knew each other)

Part two of my question: I feel like he could be a little rough on me for the personality section. So I'm thinking of not waiving my right to see it and looking at it before I send it in. I know this is generally frowned upon for LORs but I wonder if it would be the same for these new evaluations.

THANKS




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest