New LSAC Evaluation Service Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sanetruth

Bronze

New LSAC Evaluation Service

Post by sanetruth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:09 pm

From LSAC.org:

"New Evaluation Service for law school applicants starts August 15!
The Evaluation Service is a new way for law schools to learn about the skills and attributes applicants possess. Evaluators are invited by applicants via e-mail to electronically provide ratings and comments on six noncognitive skill and attribute categories; law schools specify how many evaluations and/or letters of recommendation will be required or accepted. The service is included as part of LSAC's Credential Assembly Service and is available at no additional charge."

Anyone know more details about this? Does it apply to this cycle? Seems a little last minute...

thecilent

Gold

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:14 pm

What is this. I dont like.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:16 pm

considering i'm pretty much done with my apps this better not be a requirement for our cycle. i'm done sending LSAC stuff.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:16 pm

sanetruth wrote:From LSAC.org:

"New Evaluation Service for law school applicants starts August 15!
The Evaluation Service is a new way for law schools to learn about the skills and attributes applicants possess. Evaluators are invited by applicants via e-mail to electronically provide ratings and comments on six noncognitive skill and attribute categories; law schools specify how many evaluations and/or letters of recommendation will be required or accepted. The service is included as part of LSAC's Credential Assembly Service and is available at no additional charge."

Anyone know more details about this? Does it apply to this cycle? Seems a little last minute...
Huh? So this is just a condensed and increased number of LOR?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm

I don't know. But I can't find anything else on it except that one paragraph on lsac.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Depending on person, best or worst case (source: my ass) = You request from LSAC appointed evaluators via e-mail to evaluate you, and they do this via phone interviews maybe? Since it says its non-cognitive, it cannot be something related to LSAT and what else but an optional phone interview would give LSAC enough info to evaluate you?
Last edited by Nulli Secundus on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:20 pm

The way they describe it makes it sound like that feature on LinkedIn where you have previous employers give you brief, paragraph long recommendations and post it on your profile. So, for LSAC, it would be like 'recommendations for softs'. This is just an assumption though.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:24 pm

RidiculouslyObvious

New

Post by RidiculouslyObvious » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:25 pm

nullisecundus wrote:Depending on person, best or worst case (source: my ass) = You request from LSAC appointed evaluators via e-mail to evaluate you, and they do this via phone interviews maybe? Since it says its non-cognitive, it cannot be something related to LSAT and what else but an optional phone interview would give LSAC enough info to evaluate you?
This is a seriously strange comprehension of the new policy...

(where did you get "LSAC appointed evaluators" from??)
Last edited by RidiculouslyObvious on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:26 pm

G

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:26 pm

RidiculouslyObvious wrote:
nullisecundus wrote:Depending on person, best or worst case (source: my ass) = You request from LSAC appointed evaluators via e-mail to evaluate you, and they do this via phone interviews maybe? Since it says its non-cognitive, it cannot be something related to LSAT and what else but an optional phone interview would give LSAC enough info to evaluate you?
This is a seriously strange comprehension of the new policy...
Edit - Hmm
Last edited by thecilent on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:27 pm

What is this shit?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:30 pm

is confused.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:30 pm

To me it just sounds like a recommendation form like Stanfords. They give the evaluator some criteria to check or comment on and the evaluator does so.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:32 pm

In late April, ANNE M. BRANDT, Executive Director of LSAC wrote:

Greetings! I write to let you know... about the new Evaluation Service that will be launched in late summer.

This service complements the Letter of Recommendation Service and law schools may accept, recommend, or require that applicants provide evaluations as part of the law school application.

An evaluation is composed of an online form with six categories of skills and attributes important in the law school admission process. The evaluator rates 30 individual skills and attributes and may provide comments about each category. General comments about the applicant can be made at the end of the evaluation. The service will be completely online.

Candidates will furnish LSAC with the names of those persons doing an evaluation; LSAC will contact the evaluator with a link to the website; and the evaluator will establish an account with LSAC and complete the evaluation forms online and submit them to LSAC.

The evaluations are sent as part of the law school report

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:34 pm

nvm.
Last edited by Nulli Secundus on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:34 pm

CastleRock wrote:
In late April, ANNE M. BRANDT, Executive Director of LSAC wrote:

Greetings! I write to let you know... about the new Evaluation Service that will be launched in late summer.

This service complements the Letter of Recommendation Service and law schools may accept, recommend, or require that applicants provide evaluations as part of the law school application.

An evaluation is composed of an online form with six categories of skills and attributes important in the law school admission process. The evaluator rates 30 individual skills and attributes and may provide comments about each category. General comments about the applicant can be made at the end of the evaluation. The service will be completely online.

Candidates will furnish LSAC with the names of those persons doing an evaluation; LSAC will contact the evaluator with a link to the website; and the evaluator will establish an account with LSAC and complete the evaluation forms online and submit them to LSAC.

The evaluations are sent as part of the law school report
Great, thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:35 pm

nullisecundus wrote:Well, I admit my interpretation is far-fetched but it does say six non-cognitive skill and attribute categories, trying to guesstimate from this; and since it isn't skills measured by LSAT list gets shortened considerably,

- Ability to articulate one's ideas (oral or written, both are cognitive as well, but I have no idea what non-cognitive in this context means)
- Presentability?!?! (Ho ho ho hope not :P)
- Social networking capability ?!?!

Dno seriously.

lolwut??

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:35 pm

UCLA wrote:■Evaluations through the new LSAC Evaluation Service are not required. However, we will accept up to two.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:36 pm

If schools adopt this for the 2010-2011 admissions cycle I will be very displeased.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:36 pm

CastleRock wrote:To me it just sounds like a recommendation form like Stanfords. They give the evaluator some criteria to check or comment on and the evaluator does so.
Yup, that's what it sounds like. Although I think 30 categories is way overboard. I feel like this is just another burden on the recommenders, and won't truly make a big difference. Most people pick recommenders who think highly of them anyways.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:37 pm

CastleRock wrote:
UCLA wrote:■Evaluations through the new LSAC Evaluation Service are not required. However, we will accept up to two.
Methinks this will have absolutely ZERO bearing on applications for at LEAST this upcoming cycle until admissions people can figure out how to incorporate them into their own evaluation process. That being said, I feel like this could be a good thing, so hopefully people will do it anyways.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:38 pm

CastleRock wrote:
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT LSAC YOU SCREWED ME AGAIN.

I'm not doing this, and if schools count it against me they can go to hell.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:39 pm

I, for one, will not be including this is my apps. All my recs and shizz are done with

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT LSAC YOU SCREWED ME AGAIN.

I'm not doing this, and if schools count it against me they can go to hell.
Same. I'm 100% not doing this. Too short notice for one, second I think its not useful or helpful at all. It won't hurt us I'm sure -- if the well informed people on TLS are just finding out about it, a ton of people still haven't heard about it guaranteed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”