New LSAC Evaluation Service Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RidiculouslyObvious

New

Re: New LSAC Evaluation Service

Post by RidiculouslyObvious » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Knockglock wrote:
CastleRock wrote:To me it just sounds like a recommendation form like Stanfords. They give the evaluator some criteria to check or comment on and the evaluator does so.
Yup, that's what it sounds like. Although I think 30 categories is way overboard. I feel like this is just another burden on the recommenders, and won't truly make a big difference. Most people pick recommenders who think highly of them anyways.
I think the idea is this is supposed to eventually phase out/replace written recommendations, to make it easier on the law schools, who dont actually really read all of our recommendations anyway. This will turn the recommendation process into a more quantifiable thing for them, meaning less work for adcomms.
Last edited by RidiculouslyObvious on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:42 pm

I already had 4 recommenders send in recommendations... will I need to ask 2 of them to do this for me?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:43 pm

Ildeuce wrote:I already had 4 recommenders send in recommendations... will I need to ask 2 of them to do this for me?
Dude we all just found out about this too, so all we have are our recently formed opinions. But I would say no, you don't.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Ildeuce wrote:I already had 4 recommenders send in recommendations... will I need to ask 2 of them to do this for me?
No, you're set. I'm getting 2 generic LOR's and calling it a cycle personally. I'm honestly very skeptical of the ability of LOR to tell the school much. Plus it disadvantages those who attend state schools who have larger class sizes.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Knockglock wrote:
No, you're set. I'm getting 2 generic LOR's and calling it a cycle personally. I'm honestly very skeptical of the ability of LOR to tell the school much. Plus it disadvantages those who attend state schools who have larger class sizes.
LORs in general do this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SullaFelix

Bronze

Post by SullaFelix » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:47 pm

It sounds to me like this is just a service for those who can't easily get LORs — and perhaps, as the earlier poster suggested, with the intention of eventually replacing them.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:51 pm

CastleRock wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
LORs in general do this.
I was fortunate enough to meet/become close with 3 professors and work for a lawyer. I do know many people at my school (very large state) that are having a terrible time deciding on an academic LOR.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:52 pm

No no a thousand times no! :shock: Dear LSAC you can't just add new requirements just as the cycle is about to kickoff- why, why do they do this?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:53 pm

jtemp320 wrote:No no a thousand times no! :shock: Dear LSAC you can't just add new requirements just as the cycle is about to kickoff- why, why do they do this?
Dude, LSAC is evil. You're just know figuring this out?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:58 pm

jtemp320 wrote:No no a thousand times no! :shock: Dear LSAC you can't just add new requirements just as the cycle is about to kickoff- why, why do they do this?
I really do not think it will matter (esp for this first cycle).

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm hoping this will stay optional for the next few years at least. I really don't even want to think about another thing, though I think having LSAC send a link to an evaluator is way easier than getting them to write a letter and give them the form, etc.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Hannibal wrote:I'm hoping this will stay optional for the next few years at least. I really don't even want to think about another thing, though I think having LSAC send a link to an evaluator is way easier than getting them to write a letter and give them the form, etc.
+1. This will def make it easier to get recommendations (/evaluations)

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:08 pm

I've filled out a few of these for interns applying to med school. They are a joke. Definitely a hardship (or at leas an annoying hoop) for non trads. Its so arbitrary to rank someone in top 50 top25 or top10 of referrers career and is so contingent on reputation of the recommender. Hopefully it will be optional for this cycle and die a quiet death.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:12 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:I've filled out a few of these for interns applying to med school. They are a joke. Definitely a hardship (or at leas an annoying hoop) for non trads. Its so arbitrary to rank someone in top 50 top25 or top10 of referrers career and is so contingent on reputation of the recommender. Hopefully it will be optional for this cycle and die a quiet death.
I don't think it is going to die; actually, I think it might totally rework the LOR process in the future

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Knockglock wrote:
No but it never ceases to amaze me - they are the ones who invented the LSAT - how could they be anything else?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:59 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
No but it never ceases to amaze me - they are the ones who invented the LSAT - how could they be anything else?
See their LSDAS "level playing field" system, and their CRS fee-waivers not working for people who took the LSAT from a past cycle :x. You know how the saying goes...if you can't do, teach; if you can't teach, teach gym; if you can't teach gym, work at LSAC.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Knockglock wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
See their LSDAS "level playing field" system, and their CRS fee-waivers not working for people who took the LSAT from a past cycle :x. You know how the saying goes...if you can't do, teach; if you can't teach, teach gym; if you can't teach gym, work at LSAC.
Fee waivers worked for me a cycle after I took.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 pm

CastleRock wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
Knockglock wrote: Dude, LSAC is evil. You're just know figuring this out?!
Fee waivers worked for me a cycle after I took.
Oops should have been more specific. People applying for the upcoming cycle who took a LSAT associated with the previous cycle don't show up on CRS searches and so don't receive unsolicited fee waivers that they should have gotten for their numbers. They have to contact the schools themselves to request a fee waiver.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:52 pm

Knockglock wrote:Oops should have been more specific. People applying for the upcoming cycle who took a LSAT associated with the previous cycle don't show up on CRS searches and so don't receive unsolicited fee waivers that they should have gotten for their numbers. They have to contact the schools themselves to request a fee waiver.
*sigh* Yeah, I hate this.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Knockglock wrote: Oops should have been more specific. People applying for the upcoming cycle who took a LSAT associated with the previous cycle don't show up on CRS searches and so don't receive unsolicited fee waivers that they should have gotten for their numbers. They have to contact the schools themselves to request a fee waiver.
Honestly, I think you are blaming LSAC for an inherently flawed system. LSDAS is not unfair, it's an attempt to make things more fair. We can argue about A+s all day, but the fact of the matter is that they had to draw the line somewhere and that's where they chose to do it. Better that way than having 100 different ways of calculating grades.\

As for the CRS, when should LSAC draw the line? A name should not be in the CRS forever, since everyone will either eventually go to law school or choose not to. So at what date should they remove your name from the CRS? A year after your LSAT sounds reasonable to me.

Finally, those who complain about the LSAT (not saying that you are), should realize that it is one of the only reasonable ways of grouping around 100,000 applicants each year. GPA is not standard accross the board, as we all know. Interviewing every applicant is not plausible. And basing decisions off of self reported data is just stupid. I feel bad for those who struggle with standardized tests, but that is part of life. If they can outperform their numbers they can hopefully outperform the rest of their class in 1L and transfer.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:03 pm

CastleRock wrote:
Knockglock wrote: Oops should have been more specific. People applying for the upcoming cycle who took a LSAT associated with the previous cycle don't show up on CRS searches and so don't receive unsolicited fee waivers that they should have gotten for their numbers. They have to contact the schools themselves to request a fee waiver.
Honestly, I think you are blaming LSAC for an inherently flawed system. LSDAS is not unfair, it's an attempt to make things more fair. We can argue about A+s all day, but the fact of the matter is that they had to draw the line somewhere and that's where they chose to do it. Better that way than having 100 different ways of calculating grades.\

As for the CRS, when should LSAC draw the line? A name should not be in the CRS forever, since everyone will either eventually go to law school or choose not to. So at what date should they remove your name from the CRS? A year after your LSAT sounds reasonable to me.

Finally, those who complain about the LSAT (not saying that you are), should realize that it is one of the only reasonable ways of grouping around 100,000 applicants each year. GPA is not standard accross the board, as we all know. Interviewing every applicant is not plausible. And basing decisions off of self reported data is just stupid. I feel bad for those who struggle with standardized tests, but that is part of life. If they can outperform their numbers they can hopefully outperform the rest of their class in 1L and transfer.
I was just complaining about CRS. And it isn't a year after your lsat, it's a year after you sign up for the service. Should at least be 2 years

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:13 pm

thecilent wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

I was just complaining about CRS. And it isn't a year after your lsat, it's a year after you sign up for the service. Should at least be 2 years
Then how am I getting fee waivers via CRS this cycle? I signed up in 08. And I am getting waivers from schools I had previously not received them from.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:16 pm

On the plus side, NEW LSAC SITE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:21 pm

CastleRock wrote:Then how am I getting fee waivers via CRS this cycle? I signed up in 08. And I am getting waivers from schools I had previously not received them from.
Idk. I was under the impression it was a year from signing up. I took the lsat last December, and haven't gotten anything for this cycle.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:27 pm

thecilent wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Then how am I getting fee waivers via CRS this cycle? I signed up in 08. And I am getting waivers from schools I had previously not received them from.
Idk. I was under the impression it was a year from signing up. I took the lsat last December, and haven't gotten anything for this cycle.
Last year most of my fee waivers came in september to november.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”