Work experience: general info and opinion please?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Apollo

Work experience: general info and opinion please?

Postby Apollo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:10 pm

I've been thinking about the effects of work experience prior to applying to law school. Just a little background so you can understand my perspective: currently a rising senior, and I'll be starting at a consulting firm in July 2011. I intend to apply to law schools during the 2012-2013 cycle, at which point I'd have 12-16 months of serious experience in economics (also, because there is a $$ incentive to do so, I will sit for the CPA and hopefully pass by 2011 year-end. That part I usually keep to myself). I'm doing this party because of interest, partly because of the income, and party because I need my senior year grades to improve my transcript and make myself more competitive in that regard.

Many schools' statistics reveal a large proportion of applicants possessing the loosely-defined "work experience," a group that can reach 2/3 of an entering class. Many of these fall into the "1-2 years work experience" subcategory. What type of work in this subcategory most common? That is, is the most common phenomenon to graduate university and gain a year or two of "superficial" work experience in the form of maybe TA-ing? Volunteering? Shepherding (I've actually heard that one)? Or do most experienced applicants come from industry, such as banking, consulting, engineering, journalism, etc?

Also, would 12-16 months' consulting experience be considered sufficient enough to not be "superficial" by itself? Would waiting another cycle be advisable? Because I intend to work July 2011-July 2013, would adcomms consider the extent of my experience to be the 12-16 months when applications are sent or the full two years I would have by matriculation?

This got verbose quickly. Your commentary would be welcome.

vespertiliovir

Re: Work experience: general info and opinion please?

Postby vespertiliovir » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Work experience is almost never going to make or break your application, if that's what you're wondering. Waiting an extra year probably won't make a difference in terms of which schools you get accepted to, how much $$$ you get offered, etc.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:22 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:Work experience is almost never going to make or break your application, if that's what you're wondering. Waiting an extra year probably won't make a difference in terms of which schools you get accepted to, how much $$$ you get offered, etc.

Except if the school is NU

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Well let me ask you then. How much of an impact can it have at NU? Only on borderline cases? Or can it really push a likely-rejection into an acceptance?

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:28 pm

username99 wrote:Well let me ask you then. How much of an impact can it have at NU? Only on borderline cases? Or can it really push a likely-rejection into an acceptance?

NU pretty much will WL/reject almost EVERYONE without WE. People that come out of undergrad usually have significant activities that can "qualify" as work experience.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:31 pm

What about someone whose numbers aren't quite there but who has a bunch of dandy work experience?

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:55 pm

NU is (in)famous for its affinity for high LSAT splitters. If you have a low GPA, don't sweat it, as long as you make up for it with a strong LSAT.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:24 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:NU is (in)famous for its affinity for high LSAT splitters. If you have a low GPA, don't sweat it, as long as you make up for it with a strong LSAT.

167/3.47? Great work experience.

Apollo

Postby Apollo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:03 pm

NU I can understand.. what about the rest of the T14? If an applicant has work experience, what kind/how much is most beneficial to applicants or the most common among admitted students?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:58 pm

username99 wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:NU is (in)famous for its affinity for high LSAT splitters. If you have a low GPA, don't sweat it, as long as you make up for it with a strong LSAT.

167/3.47? Great work experience.

No chance, unless you are a URM.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Apollo wrote:NU I can understand.. what about the rest of the T14? If an applicant has work experience, what kind/how much is most beneficial to applicants or the most common among admitted students?

It'll be a nice soft factor. You won't go anywhere you didn't already have a good shot at.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Apollo wrote: What type of work in this subcategory most common? That is, is the most common phenomenon to graduate university and gain a year or two of "superficial" work experience in the form of maybe TA-ing? Volunteering? Shepherding (I've actually heard that one)? Or do most experienced applicants come from industry, such as banking, consulting, engineering, journalism, etc?

i've been wondering about this as well, i've been working for a year for the university and have other part-time WE, but no real, full-time, hardcore career/job experience

Pip

Postby Pip » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Significant work experience can add something, but 1 or 2 years working in a law firm or accounting firm isn't significant. The 1 or 2 years of work doesn't really show that you've done much growing since undergrad.... I'm guessing you are hoping to add something to what you believe are weak grades, if that is the case consider working until you have managed to move up in the place you are working, that would show some growth that might add to your application... In that I would mean if a undergrad went to work for a consulting firm and applies while he is still an entry level analyst it shows nothing... if on the other hand you get someone that went to work for a consulting firm and moved up to become a consultant, principal or whatever title that firm uses for the next level... well that show some growth that could make a difference.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”