Disadvantages of Applying Early

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tipler4213

Disadvantages of Applying Early

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:22 pm

I plan on applying early to every school because of Rolling admissions, choosing one as an ED. However, the more I've looked into it, I have started wondering about some potential negatives beyond the smaller scholarship packages for ED.
First, some schools I have talked to said they don't decide fee waivers until September/October, and I don't want to have already applied when I might get one of those.
Second, and this applies to a lot of people, I plan on retaking the LSAT in October. Will they flat out reject me before then or would they just push me to regular admission and then consider it once the score came in?
Finally, say I have submitted all my applications with one ED, but do not get it and want to apply to another schools ED (rejected at one before the deadline for the other)...is it possible to change an already submitted application to ED?

Thanks!

Hannibal

Re: Disadvantages of Applying Early

Postby Hannibal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:24 pm

In regards to fee waivers, do whatever you want.

Edit: Nope
Last edited by Hannibal on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:26 pm

tipler4213 wrote:First, some schools I have talked to said they don't decide fee waivers until September/October, and I don't want to have already applied when I might get one of those.

Nothing you can do about that

Second, and this applies to a lot of people, I plan on retaking the LSAT in October. Will they flat out reject me before then or would they just push me to regular admission and then consider it once the score came in?

Most, if not all law schools will wait to consider your app if they see you have a 2nd LSAT pending, IIRC from my own cycle. Call the schools to make sure. Some will want you to submit a piece of paper telling them to hold off on a decision until your 2nd LSAT comes in. I can't think of any school that has a problem waiting for a 2nd LSAT.

Finally, say I have submitted all my applications with one ED, but do not get it and want to apply to another schools ED (rejected at one before the deadline for the other)...is it possible to change an already submitted application to ED?

Depends on each school's individual ED contract and system.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:26 pm

1. The money from fee waivers, in my opinion, is inconsequential in comparison to even a small increase in your chances of admission from applying earlier.

2. If you are signed up for the LSAT, most schools will have your file not go complete until the score is in. You can talk to them and they may consider your file and ignore the pending LSAT if you ask them to.

3. UVa is the only school I know of that allows you to switch from RD to ED after submission. There may be others but none I am aware of. Some schools don't mind multiple ED's in the same cycle (assuming they are not concurrent), and some do. NU cares, UVa does not, the list goes on.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:50 pm

bk1 wrote:1. The money from fee waivers, in my opinion, is inconsequential in comparison to even a small increase in your chances of admission from applying earlier.

This
Also I know some schools - Penn and DUke - will refund your app fee if they give you a fee waiver after you already submit. Other schools may as well, but I'm assuming a lot of times, after you submit, they'll take notice and not give you a fee waiver afterwards.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Hannibal wrote:You can only ED once per cycle. And if you mention that you are taking the LSAT at a later date they will not consider your app until that score comes in.

There's no difference between applying on day 1 and applying once your october LSAT comes out. Just prepare for the test, make sure your applications are ready to go while waiting for your score, and submit once you get your score

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Most schools will let you switch from RA to ED, you just have to contact them and sign and send them some paperwork. Gtown and UVA being 2 of them.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 pm

You also can ED more than once per cycle, if you're rejected at the first school. And I know that last cycle, GULC and UVA allowed you to change your application to ED after it was submitted.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:06 pm

capitalacq wrote:
Hannibal wrote:You can only ED once per cycle. And if you mention that you are taking the LSAT at a later date they will not consider your app until that score comes in.

There's no difference between applying on day 1 and applying once your october LSAT comes out. Just prepare for the test, make sure your applications are ready to go while waiting for your score, and submit once you get your score

Good advice, that's exactly what I'm doing :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”