WHY essay question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
osalinas44

WHY essay question

Postby osalinas44 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Can you send a why essay to every school you are applying to? Does this why essay have to be included in your personal statement or can it be sent seperately? Thanks.

Knock

Re: WHY essay question

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:11 pm

osalinas44 wrote:Can you send a why essay to every school you are applying to? Does this why essay have to be included in your personal statement or can it be sent seperately? Thanks.

Use the search function, this is one of the most common questions asked.

You can send Why X? Essays to most schools, but I would contact their admissions office to make sure they accept them.

These essays are completely optional and separate from the required PS. Although you could chose to incorporate some aspects of the "Why" essay if you so choose.

osalinas44

Postby osalinas44 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:14 pm

Thank you. I have no idea how to use the search function, I am still new to this site, could you explain how to use it. Thanks

Knockglock wrote:
osalinas44 wrote:Can you send a why essay to every school you are applying to? Does this why essay have to be included in your personal statement or can it be sent seperately? Thanks.

Use the search function, this is one of the most common questions asked.

You can send Why X? Essays to most schools, but I would contact their admissions office to make sure they accept them.

These essays are completely optional and separate from the required PS. Although you could chose to incorporate some aspects of the "Why" essay if you so choose.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:17 pm

At the top there should be a link for the "Advanced Fourm Search. " Click on that.

And no problem, welcome to TLS :) and feel free to ask any more questions you may have, or shoot me a PM anytime.

osalinas44

Postby osalinas44 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Thank you I appreciate it.

Knockglock wrote:At the top there should be a link for the "Advanced Fourm Search. " Click on that.

And no problem, welcome to TLS :) and feel free to ask any more questions you may have, or shoot me a PM anytime.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:22 pm

The Why X essays that I wrote were all kept to roughly 200-250 words. This gave me enough space to show that I'd done my research and would be a beneficial addition to the law school community without being too verbose and detracting from the rest of my application.

I submitted them to almost every school to which I applied and I did not ask all of the schools whether or not they wanted them. It has been my experience that schools will tell you to submit everything that you can to give them the best picture of who you are and what you will bring to their institution. Of course, it is up to you to limit this information to what you believe is the most pertinent. To me, my Why X statements clearly fit this mold.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”