TTT or Masters in Finance

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nickbentley

TTT or Masters in Finance

Postby nickbentley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:22 pm

I want to go to law school...

I'm working my ass to the ground to do well on the LSAT. My GPA is about 3.1 (I haven't actually planned on education past undergrad until a few months ago).

My best (honest) prediction is that I'll land an LSAT between 160 and 165...

The schools I think I have a shot at are:
UCONN
UMiami
Santa Clara
American U
Pepperdine
San Diego
U Maryland
Brooklyn Law
Wake Forest
Columbus

If I'm overestimating my LSAT and don't get in... I hear people say on here that you are better off not going to law school than going to a TTT school.

If it is the decision between TTT Law, or a Masters in finance, which would yield greater long-term benefit?

DeSimone

Re: TTT or Masters in Finance

Postby DeSimone » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:37 pm

As of right now your only option is the masters in finance. Until you have a real LSAT score, chances at law school equal to zero.

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:44 pm

DeSimone wrote:As of right now your only option is the masters in finance. Until you have a real LSAT score, chances of law school equal to zero.

LR Question: DeSimone's response to nickbentley is flawed because of which of the following?

A. He/she failed to recognize that nickbentley's conclusion is conditional upon a premise coming to pass.

B. He/she fails to consider whether or not nickbentley had taken the GRE or GMAT.

C. He/she fails to consider whether a masters in finance program will be available at a school nickbentley will attend.

D. All of the above

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Don't go to law schools. I hear finance is a very lucrative field to get into these days.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:58 pm

How does a Masters in Finance work? Like, what is the job-search process afterwards entail? Could you get into a good school?

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:59 pm

DeSimone wrote:Image

Don't go to law schools. I hear finance is a very lucrative field to get into these days.

Hahaha

Picture stolen.

Do i have to write an addendum for that? or just if I get caught?

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 pm

lawschoollll wrote:How does a Masters in Finance work? Like, what is the job-search process afterwards entail? Could you get into a good school?

If I mastered in Finance, I'd have more time to get my GPA up because I'd be in UG for an extra year...

I'd try to find a job in hedge-fund management or stock brokering

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:08 pm

nickbentley wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:How does a Masters in Finance work? Like, what is the job-search process afterwards entail? Could you get into a good school?

If I mastered in Finance, I'd have more time to get my GPA up because I'd be in UG for an extra year...

I'd try to find a job in hedge-fund management or stock brokering

Yea, I'd go this route. Sounds more lucrative than having a JD from UConn Law.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:15 pm

nickbentley wrote:
DeSimone wrote:As of right now your only option is the masters in finance. Until you have a real LSAT score, chances of law school equal to zero.

LR Question: DeSimone's response to nickbentley is flawed because of which of the following?

A. He/she failed to recognize that nickbentley's conclusion is conditional upon a premise coming to pass.

B. He/she fails to consider whether or not nickbentley had taken the GRE or GMAT.

C. He/she fails to consider whether a masters in finance program will be available at a school nickbentley will attend.

D. All of the above

Introduce the antecedent of the conclusion as a premise using rule P, then derive the consequent of the conclusion from the given premises. Then use rule CP to create a conditional statement using the premise you introduced as the antecedent and the conclusion you derived. This is your derivation.

But I would get the masters in finance if I were you. I'm in the same boat, with a GPA in the lower 3 range and not having taken the LSAT yet. I've done very well on practice tests and I still have plenty of time to study, but if I don't get the score to get in where I want, I'll spend an extra year in UG to get a double major in Econ, then see what I can do with that. I haven't given much thought to any grad schools for business though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”