2011 Cycle on LSN Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kazu

Gold

Re: 2011 Cycle on LSN

Post by kazu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:30 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:it's not been totally abandoned... The last time I visited about a month ago it said "Now open for 2009-2010 cycle" or something similar and now that's gone.

Probably a good sign :-)
!!! The site is alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:34 am

kazu wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:it's not been totally abandoned... The last time I visited about a month ago it said "Now open for 2009-2010 cycle" or something similar and now that's gone.

Probably a good sign :-)
!!! The site is alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2009-10 Cycle

LSN has officially launched for the 2009-10 J.D. admissions cycle. If you encounter any bugs, please send us an email ASAP.

Author: LSN Staff

(Posted Aug 05, 2009)
You guys realize we're going on the 2010-2011 admissions cycle. It's still dead :P.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:23 am

* egg on face *

The box that says that is the last thing to load, so when I opened the page, I didn't see it, and I jumped the gun. Totally my fault. Thanks, knockglock!

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 am

Desert Fox wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
sanetruth wrote:I'm getting more and more convinced the site has been officially abandoned...
Domain is set to expire on Aug 24th. We'll see then if it is truly abandoned.
Someone should data mine the shit out of that site and steal the name.
What would be the copyright issues on that, if any? (By which I mean, can information on a website be copyrighted, or are the 'rights' of the owner automatically tied in with the life of the domain) Assuming there are none this really needs to be done. I was looking forward to using LSN this year. Hope it isn't abandoned, but unfortunately it looks like it is.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:33 am

cynthia rose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
sanetruth wrote:I'm getting more and more convinced the site has been officially abandoned...
Domain is set to expire on Aug 24th. We'll see then if it is truly abandoned.
Someone should data mine the shit out of that site and steal the name.
What would be the copyright issues on that, if any? (By which I mean, can information on a website be copyrighted, or are the 'rights' of the owner automatically tied in with the life of the domain) Assuming there are none this really needs to be done. I was looking forward to using LSN this year. Hope it isn't abandoned, but unfortunately it looks like it is.
Cue the LSAT PT that discusses copyright and internet issues. I want to say it's in the 50's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:43 pm

I'd suggest that a good way of thinking about whether there is a copyright issue here is by comparing it to a telephone answering machine.

In any event, LSN is a) very handy b) way worse than it should be. I'd love for someone to come up with a better site that focuses more on updated data and better graphs (zoom function, ability to remove certain applicants such as waitlisted from results, etc. etc.). Not sure if admissions dean will actually fill that bill.

DaveBear07

Bronze

Post by DaveBear07 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:52 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:I'd suggest that a good way of thinking about whether there is a copyright issue here is by comparing it to a telephone answering machine.

In any event, LSN is a) very handy b) way worse than it should be. I'd love for someone to come up with a better site that focuses more on updated data and better graphs (zoom function, ability to remove certain applicants such as waitlisted from results, etc. etc.). Not sure if admissions dean will actually fill that bill.
I love the reference to the answering machine there. Brilliant.

Also, you're absolutely right. Someone much more tech savvy than I get on that.

Edit: All and all, amazing first post.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:52 pm

DaveBear07 wrote:
The Real Jack McCoy wrote:I'd suggest that a good way of thinking about whether there is a copyright issue here is by comparing it to a telephone answering machine.

I think this is a sign that we've all studied for the LSAT waaaay too much :P.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Knockglock wrote:
DaveBear07 wrote:

I think this is a sign that we've all studied for the LSAT waaaay too much :P.

LOL. I was wondering why that sounded so familiar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dukecardinals

New

Post by dukecardinals » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:55 pm

I was actually a big fan of AdmissionsDean.com when it came online during the last cycle (so much so I was labeled a shill by some of the mods!) but, alas, we couldn't get enough people to move over to really move needle and I just decided to keep my mouth shut on the topic. Now that it appears LSN is not renewing it's lease, I figured I'd pipe in (again) to say that I think the the features on AdmissionsDean.com are far superior to those on LSN. Perhaps one of the nicest surprises on the site was when I did encounter a bug, I emailed the admin and received an email back within an hour notifying me that the issue was fixed -- a far cry from those LSN jokers.

In actuality, I haven't been on the AdmissionsDean.com site since about April, and it looks like they added some new sections -- like the paying for law school section. The Law School Scholarship Finder and Cost Calculator are two tools that would have been nice to find earlier. I'd say that whoever is running the site has demonstrated some commitment to making improvements and keeping the site current. Click through to their post kicking off the 2010-11 cycle that describes some of the recent updates they made and how they actually implement some of their users suggestions. I've got no vested interest in moving people over since my cycle has passed, I simply wanted to add my personal experience (and thoughts) on the topic.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:01 am

So I just poked around on admissionsdean, and it's pretty awesome. It's much more user friendly than LSN, not to mention much better designed.

Please consider signing up! These sorts of things are useless without users, and if LSN is going out we owe it to future generations of applicants to keep the data flowing :-)

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:34 pm

cynthia rose wrote:What would be the copyright issues on that, if any? (By which I mean, can information on a website be copyrighted, or are the 'rights' of the owner automatically tied in with the life of the domain) Assuming there are none this really needs to be done. I was looking forward to using LSN this year. Hope it isn't abandoned, but unfortunately it looks like it is.
I think you'd run into some major privacy issues, since you're taking people's personal information that they only consented to give to that one site.

Also, facts cannot be copyrighted.

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:52 pm

So tomorrow could be the last day for LSN. Make sure you get whatever data you need from it ASAP hahah. It's really a shame that it's going down due to laziness (most likely), it seems like they have plenty of sponsors, traffic, etc. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:34 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:So tomorrow could be the last day for LSN. Make sure you get whatever data you need from it ASAP hahah. It's really a shame that it's going down due to laziness (most likely), it seems like they have plenty of sponsors, traffic, etc. :(
Huh? Why would tomorrow be the last day for LSN? Did its creator say that he/she was not going to continue the site?

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

CyLaw wrote:Domain is set to expire on Aug 24th. We'll see then if it is truly abandoned.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:12 pm

The site now reads "LSN is temporarily offline."

... We'll see if it's really temporary.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:13 pm

piccolittle wrote:The site now reads "LSN is temporarily offline."

*cue ominous music*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:14 pm

It's up.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Hannibal wrote:

It's up.
So... guess we won't know the fate of LSN until midnight?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:02 pm

kazu wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

It's up.
Actually it would be 11:59pm on the 24th that the domain would expire.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:05 pm

CyLaw wrote:
kazu wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

It's up.
Actually it would be 11:59pm on the 24th that the domain would expire.
According to which time zone?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:05 pm

We should just make the switch to admissionsdean and be done with it. LSN is great for looking up past cycles, but I think it makes sense for future cycles to take advantage of a far superior (and reliable?) site.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:07 pm

beachbum wrote:We should just make the switch to admissionsdean and be done with it. LSN is great for looking up past cycles, but I think it makes sense for future cycles to take advantage of a far superior (and reliable?) site.
If the domain expires all past cycle information will be lost.. which is really a shame :cry:

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Will Google Cache save it?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Hmm I dunno? Maybe someone else can answer. If that was true it would be great.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”