Resume thoughts Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
supahstahxruv

Bronze

Resume thoughts

Post by supahstahxruv » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 am

Hey TLS!

TGIF because the weekend means time to work on law school apps! Of course I'm only joking, but I am wondering if any of you could kindly entertain a question I had about the resume:

College is a time of exploration and I was involved in a lot of various activities to see what I might like, but since then I've obviously cut down my EC's to do the things that I enjoyed the most. Now I definitely know not to include that one semester with the debate team or whatnot, but what do you guys think about activities that I did for a more substantial amount of time but don't do anymore? For example, there's one particular activity that I did freshman + sophomore years, but I haven't had the time to do since. if you think about it, it was half my college career...

In short, should we only include activities that we are still currently actively involved in? And where, if at all, does that diversity of explored activities throughout college get reflected?

Thanks for being so patient with me everyone! Really appreciate it.

thecilent

Gold

Re: Resume thoughts

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:01 am

I'd say make the best one-page resume possible. So if it fits, looks nice, etc., put it in there; if it doesn't, leave it out. Play around with a few diff layouts and choose what you think works the best..

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 am

I have a decent resume` but if its not required, would it be advisable to include it if I have been laid off since September?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 am

StrictlyLiable wrote:I have a decent resume` but if its not required, would it be advisable to include it if I have been laid off since September?
I wouldn't. But I can see how someone else might tell you the opposite

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:09 am

StrictlyLiable wrote:I have a decent resume` but if its not required, would it be advisable to include it if I have been laid off since September?
Why would it be required to include that? Just try to show you've been doing something during that time and but it chronologically under a more-encompassing "experience" category rather than an "employment" category which implies paid compensation, Is there anything meaningful you've done since then that could qualify what you've been doing during the layoff period such as: 1) Anything academic 2) Anything service related?

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:15 am

supahstahxruv wrote:Hey TLS!

TGIF because the weekend means time to work on law school apps! Of course I'm only joking, but I am wondering if any of you could kindly entertain a question I had about the resume:

College is a time of exploration and I was involved in a lot of various activities to see what I might like, but since then I've obviously cut down my EC's to do the things that I enjoyed the most. Now I definitely know not to include that one semester with the debate team or whatnot, but what do you guys think about activities that I did for a more substantial amount of time but don't do anymore? For example, there's one particular activity that I did freshman + sophomore years, but I haven't had the time to do since. if you think about it, it was half my college career...

In short, should we only include activities that we are still currently actively involved in? And where, if at all, does that diversity of explored activities throughout college get reflected?

Thanks for being so patient with me everyone! Really appreciate it.
Include anything that 1) You actually did and 2) Serves to paint a broader and more excellent picture of who you really are and 3) jives with the way you are marketing yourself in your ps and other app materials.

If it happened 6 years ago and meets these criteria, use it. If it is useless information that would make adcomms become bored or question your judgement, don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”