168/3.0 URM- What are my chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tomrogers1989

168/3.0 URM- What are my chances?

Postby tomrogers1989 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 pm

What are my chances of being admitted to these schools?

Harvard
Yale
Columbia
U Penn...basicall the T-14

I am a black male and I attend an Ivy. My resume, personal statement and recommendations are excellent. Obviously, my gpa is awful. But this is primarily attributed to the death of my father, grandfather, cousin and the near death (and coma) my of step father. I was the Valedictorian of my high and pretty much did not face many adversities before my college career. But after my first month in college, people really close to me started to die off. I was dazed, preparing eulogy after eulogy and that most certainly drove me into madness--hence the poor gpa. Additionally, should I write an addendum? Thanks for your advice.

LLB2JD

Re: 168/3.0 URM- What are my chances?

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:40 pm

tomrogers1989 wrote:What are my chances of being admitted to these schools?

Harvard
Yale
Columbia

I am a black male and I attend an Ivy. My resume, personal statement and recommendations are excellent. Obviously, my gpa is awful. But this is primarily attributed to the death of my father, grandfather, cousin and the near death (and coma) my of step father. I was the Valedictorian of my high and pretty much did not face many adversities before my college career. But after my first month in college, people really close to me started to die off. I was dazed, preparing eulogy after eulogy and that most certainly drove me into madness--hence the poor gpa. Additionally, should I write an addendum? Thanks for your advice.

There aren't a lot of legitimate reasons to write GPA addenda, but this is certainly a good reason to. I think you'll get in somewhere in the T-14. Good luck
Last edited by LLB2JD on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:40 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51426&p=1059795#p1059795

tomrogers1989 wrote:I am a black male at an Ivy League school that earned a 2.5 GPA my freshman year and a 3.7 my sophomore and junior year. My gpa is around 3.4-3.5 and my major gpa is 3.85 with honors or high honors. I work and I hold quite a number of leadership roles on my campus. I will probably include an addendum since during my freshman year a cousin died, very close family members suffered debilitating illnesses, parent divorce etc. The addendum will probably be the last thing in my application because I am not a person really big on complaining. I gained full fluency in the German language during my college years and I also have a 3.8 minor gpa. I will definitely get great recommendations etc. I think I have a good shot at Columbia law. But what do you guys think about other top 10 LS, safety schools and sure bets? HYS? Thanks a whole bunch!

Did you retake the LSAT? The last post you had a 168.

And why the sudden difference in GPA's?

And what happened in the intervening two years?

And what are the chances you never respond to this post, like you did with the last one?
Last edited by kalvano on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:41 pm

tomrogers1989 wrote:What are my chances of being admitted to these schools?

Harvard
Yale
Columbia

Not good. Apply to the entire T14. You might get one to bite.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:44 pm

YEah you will get a top 14. If you have time, what about another shot at the lsat?
If you wanna hear some wild guesses.
nmvpgc in
cchys- ?

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:30 pm

I bet you have a decent chance of getting into UVA and below with those numbets as a URM. I agree with DF though that it would be wise to just send it off to the T14. It's not a good idea to limit yourself to those four schools...everything above UVA is really testing the waters.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”