Should I apply to Harvard Business School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SprangTyme

Should I apply to Harvard Business School?

Postby SprangTyme » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi,

I posted this in another TLS forum, unsure which one it should go in...

I start Harvard Law School in the fall. I was thinking that I'd like to do a JD/MBA. I recently took the GMAT and scored a 690 (88th percentile)...I didn't do nearly as well as I had done in the practice tests.

Will the fact that I will be attending law school there this fall help my admissions to the Business school? Should I apply with this score?

Thanks for your help... I am completely clueless.

Knock

Re: Should I apply to Harvard Business School?

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:53 pm

SprangTyme wrote:Hi,

I start Harvard Law School in the fall. I was thinking that I'd like to do a JD/MBA. I recently took the GMAT and scored a 690 (88th percentile)...I didn't do nearly as well as I had done in the practice tests.

Will the fact that I will be attending law school there this fall help my admissions to the Business school? Should I apply with this score?

Do you have any post-grad work experience? If you have a couple of years, then you can apply. I'm pretty sure the program is still very difficult to get into, and is no means guaranteed because you're attending HLS. But it's worth a shot to apply.

Also, try not to post the same topic multiple times. Be patient - you'll get some responses before you know it.

Pip

Re: Should I apply to Harvard Business School?

Postby Pip » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:47 pm

SprangTyme wrote:Hi,

First you should know a few things about the JD/MBA program at Harvard.

To be accepted into it you have to 1. be accepted to the law school. 2. be accepted to the business school. Then you have to fill out another application to be accepted to the JD/MBA program. To be honest Harvard discourages people from doing the JD/MBA... After you are accepted to both you would then have to explain in your application for the JD/MBA program how program will benefit you, and why you want to do it... IF you are accepted you would then find that you will not have any winter breaks as you would be required to take classes during that time... you would also find that you would have to pay more in tuition each year than you would for either single program by itself....

That said the other question is whether you could get into HBS, most law school student have little work experience, I assume you are going straight out of undergrad... in that case your GMAT is probably too low. While Harvard accepts people with GMATs that low or lower those students generally have substantial work experience and very high GPA's... The students they accept right out of undergrad are likely to only be those with stellar GPA and GMAT numbers.

IF you have some real desire to do a JD/MBA then I would suggest you apply for a deferred admit to Harvard if it is still possible and study for the GMAT so that you could take it and apply for HBS... then if you get in try for the JD/MBA.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”