when to submit application Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I apply now or wait till Nov 1st?

Now: sooner the better
56%
Wait for new score: your app will look better
33%
Doesn't matter
11%

Total votes: 9

Pierced

New

when to submit application

Post by Pierced » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm

I keep hearing that the earlier you send out your application the better... but what if your waiting for new test scores?

I scored a 170 in June and am retaking in Oct hoping to get it up to a 175 (score I'm currently getting in PTs). Should I send out my apps before I get the Nov test score or hold off?

Also, schools like Columbia and Boston University already have 2011 apps up. Does it help to submit now and be the very first applicants?

Hannibal

Gold

Re: when to submit application

Post by Hannibal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:35 pm

It usually has a question on the app about future LSAT dates, if you indicate you're taking one in October they won't even consider the app until the scores come in.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:39 pm

Submit now. No schools make negative decisions until well after the October LSAT scores comes out, so it can only help you. (Hannibal is right that they won't look at the app until they get your October score, but your app will go complete much faster than others applying after the October LSAT scores are released.)

Pierced

New

Post by Pierced » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:44 pm

What if I don't list "future LSAT dates"... can I get in trouble for that? I'm freaked out about the potential of going down--and if I get the sense it isn't a 170+, I'm going to immediately cancel my score.

If I don't announce my plans to take the Oct test date and then I go up, is it easy to get the schools to look at the new score?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm certain they would look at the score; not everyone can know when they submit their application that they will never take the LSAT again (a lot of people do so later on in order to get off waitlists). LSAC will automatically send them the new score. That said, I can't advise anything but complete honesty; if you plan to take the LSAT in October and are signed up to do so, tell them.

Also, what's your GPA? Unless it's pretty low, a 170 is plenty good enough to not want to risk a retake unless you're consistently PTing around 178-180.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Aren't you PiercefromCT?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:58 pm

FYI... although Columbia's app is up I don't think you can actually submit it until September 1st.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”