Application Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kurt Cobain

Application Question

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:56 pm

So I'll be applying for admission to schools for Fall 2011. I have a question regarding when I should submit applications.

There is a school that I'm interested in applying to that has the application already available. I have all my materials ready to submit to this school. This school, however, is more of a backup school.

The application for my first choice doesn't open until September. I'm wondering if submitting an application to another school before submitting one to my first choice would possible tell my first choice that I'm less committed to attending than I really am. I plan on telling them in my personal statement that if I'm accepted I will attend, but I wonder if they will be put off at all since I will have (possibly) applied elsewhere.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you! :D

bk1

Re: Application Question

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:58 pm

It doesn't matter.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Law schools have no idea when you applied to other law schools.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Right, but if I don't apply to this other school first, I wouldn't have to disclose it to my first choice when I apply.

So, to rephrase the question, will my first choice school care if they are the only school I apply to? Do schools look favorably upon that sort of thing?

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:Right, but if I don't apply to this other school first, I wouldn't have to disclose it to my first choice when I apply.

So, to rephrase the question, will my first choice school care if they are the only school I apply to? Do schools look favorably upon that sort of thing?

I'm sure the vast, vast majority of applicants apply to more than one school. Law schools don't care. If anything, you'd look naive applying to just one school (especially if it is a reach) because you're putting all your eggs in one basket.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 pm

I think they expect that you're going to apply to multiple schools seeing as how that is the norm. That's kind of the point of merit aid--to compete in getting students.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:29 pm

Well I would certainly apply to other schools, but only if I got rejected by my #1. So everyone thinks that holding out on applying to other schools to wait for a decision from a #1 choice is pointless?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Wait, so your idea was to wait until you got a response to your top choice?

Are you serious?

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:35 pm

Hannibal wrote:Wait, so your idea was to wait until you got a response to your top choice?

Are you serious?

Yeah why bad idea?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Wait, so your idea was to wait until you got a response to your top choice?

Are you serious?

Yeah why bad idea?

Um...what if it takes them a long time to reply? Also, why? Trying to save money on app fees? You sacrifice your advantage elsewhere...

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Flame.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:38 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

Are you serious?

Yeah why bad idea?

Um...what if it takes them a long time to reply? Also, why? Trying to save money on app fees? You sacrifice your advantage elsewhere...

Ok cool thanks. I'll send the other app out ASAP.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Weirdest flame I have ever seen.

Edit - maybe not flame then, but still really strange.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 pm

thecilent wrote:Weirdest flame I have ever seen.

Why is it strange? I feel like if you apply to a school, and they see that you haven't applied to any others, they might think you're more committed to their program. But I guess I'm wrong.

I don't know anything about the rolling admissions process. I applied and was accepted ED to my undergrad school. Sorry for my ignorance. Any input you could provide would be appreciated.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:

Why is it strange? I feel like if you apply to a school, and they see that you haven't applied to any others, they might think you're more committed to their program. But I guess I'm wrong.

I don't know anything about the rolling admissions process. I applied and was accepted ED to my undergrad school. Sorry for my ignorance. Any input you could provide would be appreciated.

Rolling admissions, in a nutshell: As time goes by, there are less and less spots yet, yet more and more applications! So it gets more competitive.

It doesn't really show commitment. They won't even notice or know or care. You will receive no boost, at all.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:16 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

Rolling admissions, in a nutshell: As time goes by, there are less and less spots yet, yet more and more applications! So it gets more competitive.

It doesn't really show commitment. They won't even notice or know or care. You will receive no boost, at all.

Ok awesome. Much appreciated. This is all I wanted to know. Thank you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”